• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gifts for food lovers - food/cooking stuff

KateW

What on earth is a Magic Bullet??

Do I have a dirty mind?

EMSON Magic Bullet High Speed Blender Mixer System .. I know, I originally thought that it belonged to that class of adult toys myself ... :hmmm: actually, it can be used at home while fully clothed! :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

What on earth is a Magic Bullet??

Do I have a dirty mind?

It is one of those things that are sold by infomercial that is supposed to do everything buy sweep the floor.

But wait! If you order in the next 15 minutes you will get two for the same price!

• 1 year later...

Something for the chef or home-chef in your life:

"Chef's Knife Earrings"

The page seemed to take forever to load, so fair warning.

Also, look towards the bottom of the web page and you'll find a chef's knife pendant, whisk earrings and a utensil brooch.

edited to add: The earrings were mentioned in the latest edition of Chile Pepper Magazine in the "gift suggestions section".

Another item mentioned in the issue that is sort of food-related, depending on how you use it...this would come in handy for the traveller who doesn't speak the language:

"Point It: Traveller's Language Kit" by Dieter Graf. It's a collection of photographs for most of your needs while travelling when language is a barrier.

It's no longer in print, which is surprising given the reviews.

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Something for the chef or home-chef in your life:

"Chef's Knife Earrings"

The page seemed to take forever to load, so fair warning.

Also, look towards the bottom of the web page and you'll find a chef's knife pendant, whisk earrings and a utensil brooch.

My GAWD! I'm an earring nut, and a posessor of fine knives, but even my best (used) chef's knife didn't cost THAT much! :shock:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Being a notorious foodie can be dangerous.

Some well-meaning friends gave us a boxed "set" (I have no idea what to call it) of cheese and salami from one of those shopping mall cheese stores.

Another year it was a set of cheap mugs with powdered hot drink mixes.

Thank God they moved. . .and now we can just enjoy the friendship without having to worry about exchanging presents. And I have a feeling the wife, probably at this moment, is on some other Internet board typing "One year some well-meaning friends of ours gave us a pepper grinder. Can you imagine? I had a full can of ground pepper in the cabinet at the time. But I got two bucks for it in the garage sale I had the next summer." :raz:

Edited by jgm (log)

Being a notorious foodie can be dangerous.

Some well-meaning friends gave us a boxed "set" (I have no idea what to call it) of cheese and salami from one of those shopping mall cheese stores.

Another year it was a set of cheap mugs with powdered hot drink mixes.

Thank God they moved. . .and now we can just enjoy the friendship without having to worry about exchanging presents.  And I have a feeling the wife, probably at this moment, is on some other Internet board typing "One year some well-meaning friends of ours gave us a pepper grinder.  Can you imagine?  I had a full can of ground pepper in the cabinet at the time.  But I got two bucks for it in the garage sale I had the next summer." :raz:

Probably a relative of the person who put a set of 5 Bauer pastel ringware mixing bowls and 3 undrilled pristine Bauer flower pots in a church rummage sale. When I placed them in my cart I could just hear her saying to herself, "I am so glad to get rid of these old things of grandma's, so I have more room in my cupboard."

One of the flower pots is a 10" orange, Italian ring pot with a footed saucer that has a brown interior glaze and the orange exterior matches the pot. I have only seen one other like this, a yellow/gray saucer. The footed saucers for this size pot are rare because the feet were so easily broken. The church ladies gave me the box in which they had been stored, the newspaper was dated in 1936!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Someone gave me an old-fashioned ice cream maker (rock salt; turn by hand) for a wedding present. I used it when she came over, and that was it. It was not a terrible idea as I like quaint stuff, just too much of a mess for me to use often.

I so want one of those, but wont pay the prices I see in new catalogs. Must e-bay!

Giant salt, pepper, chili and OREGANO grinders, pre loaded. Fun for outdoor parties.

Decorative bottles of vinegar and oil. The chili oil is great for popping popcorn. The vinegars are usually very salty. But if anyone has good ideas for using them, I'd be happy to learn!

I also dislike those fancy figurine wine corks.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 9 years later...

Sorry to revive such an ancient discussion but I saw these today and thought you'd have to be a foodie to wear these:

"Big Food Tees"

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver