• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gifts for food lovers - food/cooking stuff

KateW

Got:

Box of Leonides Chocolates (they are Belgian - I didn't think they were great.)

Other gifts arriving for New Years - will probably include something food related.

Gave:

Tom Douglas's Seattle Kitchen - cookbook, autographed - and set of 3 "Rub with Love"s.

Home made sweet and spicy mixed nuts, from the Macrina Bakery and Cafe Cookbook I gave to myself in October.

Drinks and appetizers at Cascadia's bar - this was also a got, as the bartender bought us a "Raquel Welch" - an icy chocolate concoction served in a matini glass.

C'est tout.

My best friend gave me a gift certificate to King Arthur Flour, which is becoming a tradition with us. She is not a foodie, but nevertheless I gave her a low carb cookbook and a chimney thing for lighting charcoal. Gave my daughter and son-in-law a tortilla maker, book and flour which they experimented with all afternoon.

Gave my daughter-in-law a copy of an old favorite cookbook from years ago, and a heat resistant rubber spatula, my son one of those chimney things also.

I ordered my yearly (Merry Christmas to me) batch of cookbooks for myself, but not so many as usual because I still have about a dozen on the shelf I haven't read.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I skipped a "get"

My mother gave me a fabulous 50th anniversary edition of the Waring Blender. I have coveted hers (she actually has two that might be 50 years old and would not share under any circumstances, so I suppose she was trying to avoid an inevitable theft :hmmm: ) and this thing is exactly like it. Two speeds, cool deco canister, all chrome. I was very pleased.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

I skipped a "get"

My mother gave me a fabulous 50th anniversary edition of the Waring Blender. I have coveted hers (she actually has two that might be 50 years old and would not share under any circumstances, so I suppose she was trying to avoid an inevitable theft :hmmm: ) and this thing is exactly like it. Two speeds, cool deco canister, all chrome. I was very pleased.

Is it a ribbed glass canister like the one on my original inheritance from 1949?

Congratulations.

My wifes nuts!!! (not really)she bought me 3 Kershaw Shun pro knives.

Unbelieveble,I had already recieved an 8 inch Suntori Global from one of my sous chefs,(first Global)now I have upwords of 80 knives............

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

Gave:

2lb of Wensleydale for my dad, which spawned the first email he's ever sent! :biggrin:

A case of milk chocolate Hobnobs, to which all my relatives are now addicted - when we neglected to bring some to my grandmother at Thanksgiving, she was extremely incensed! I swear there's something addictive in the oaty bits.

And, I made cookies to take to work as a sort of collective gift.

Got:

Jar of homemade hot chocolate mix (cocoa, milk, chocolate and mint bits in layers) from my boss and her kids

Babbo cookbook and Wusthof carving set from my sister- and mum-in-law. Carving set made short work of the turkey - and I'm eying my first attempt at pasta to try the pumpkin lune. :biggrin:

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

now I have upwords of 80 knives............

I have 4. Something's wrong with this picture.

Nope, nothing wrong.

Just 25 years in kitchens.

You amase a lot of knives from gifts and my own purchases

Turnip Greens are Better than Nothing. Ask the people who have tried both.

Gave:

I usually give wine to various associates, but this year I gave Venetian glass Christmas ornaments to special friends and family,

gift certificates to The Friends Lake Inn

my wife's homemade preserves

Hot chocolate mix from Mariebelle

a Wusthoff 8" Meat Cleaver to my wife (she actually asked for it and no, it wasn't her only gift from me)

Got:

El Bulli Book

Cuisinart ice cream maker

dishes and silverware

gift certificate to ChefCentral

gift certificate to Wine and Spirit World in Ho-Ho-Kus

chocolates and cookies

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Nephew gave me a 1 1/2 pound can of goose fat. :laugh:

But the biggy was a Lew's saltwater casting reel to go on a CastAway graphite rod that I won in the raffle at the trout and redfish tournament he entered us in last summer as a gift (complete with guide). Yes, it is food related. I now have some equipment for catching trout, redfish, flounder, etc. out of the front yard of the new house.

BTW... I have a good nephew. :biggrin:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Le Nez du Vin

Knife from Masuhiro

but the prize goes to an electric pepper grinder -- with a torch in the bottom that comes on when you grind the pepper! This is so cool in that useless fake functional wing on a '57 caddy way.

I know we are going to lose our proper torch and I am going to have to change a fuse with the pepper grinding all over the place at 3 am one night.

:biggrin:

Rachael,  If it is anything like my mothers relish it will be great with bratwurst, hot dogs and any other similar sausages you like.  The tomato relish.  I dont know what to do with the corn relish.

colestove

The corn relish is also great with sausages. My favorite thing to do with corn relish is combine it with black beans, cumin, red onion and avocado (and sometimes sauteed shrimp, chopped appropriately small) for a drool-inspiring salsa. It's 8 am, and I could easily eat some for breakfast!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

gave:

fudgy bourbon brownies

banana nut bread

pineapple cheese spread

black forest mousse pie

got:

trader joe's gift card

bottle of nicholas feuillete rose

recipe cards

cheese tray with cheeses and crackers

should get when johnnybird and i celebrate - 1990 sir winston churchill

will give when johnnybird and i clebrate - 25 year old mcclellan scotch

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

I made a big batch of sunday gravy (merkins west of -75 deg call it "spuggedy sos") froze it and shipped it to Dallas where no such thing exists. Shortbread was shipped too.

I bought baking sheets at a restaurant supply store. Now my silicon pads fit!

I received nuts (you are what youe eat!)

Edited by rockhopper (log)

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

Received: 2 Cuisinart Chefs Classic pans, new rolling pin, 1 silpat baking sheet, Emeril's Kitchens cookbook, 12qt Le Creuset stock pot, bottle of Van Winkle 12 yr old Bourbon.

Gave my dad an 8 qt Le Creuset Stock pot, and my mom wanted some pizza pans, so thats what she got!

Gave myself a 6 pc block set of Henckels Twinstar plus knives, just because I couldn't pass them up! The store had the set mismarked for $34.95! Only had the one set or I would have stocked up!

Also received some wine and holoiday beers.

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

On the final night of Chanukah, Blovie gave me one last cookbook, Nigella Lawson's How to Eat.

He also gave me theater tickets, but it's not a food show.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I gave my wife: Zojirushi "Neuro Fuzzy" rice cooker and warmer. (Looks good. Reviews soon in the relevant post in the "Japan" forum.)

My wife gave me: A Bamix stick blender.

Other people gave us:

- A set of Amish-made wooden utensils.

- A probe thermometer identical to one we already had.

- A very high-quality extremely small balloon whisk.

- One of those "chef wizard" combo flat whisk/tong things ("Lo! Marvel at how the CHEF WIZARD picks up this hard-boiled egg!")

- A metric tonload of good stuff from my wife's aunt in San Jose, including unusual olive oil and balsamic vinegar and other notions.

- One of those C-clamp looking apple peeler/corer/slicers (is this useful!?)

- A very pretty Italian relish tray.

- A Rick Bayless cookbook, and a free coupon for a "Whopper!" cheeseburger.

Just kidding about the "Whopper!" ...

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth

Given:

Christmas puddings, shortbread, lots of chocolate cakes. People seem to love anything homemade.

Mixed cases from the Sunday Times wine club.

Received:

-A microplane grater. These are new to us here in Ireland. Fantastic piece of equipment. I've skinned my knuckles already.

-Nigella Lawson whisk

-Fancy corkscrew.

-Denby glasses and mugs.

-Oven thermometer.. finally putting an end to years of wondering/arguing about the AGA.

Two cheese boards (stilton, brie, port salut, cashel blue, cahill whiskey, cheddar, caerphilly)

Single Malts:

Auchentoshan

Laphroaig

Glenlivet 18yo

Bushmills 21yo

(we are whiskey fans in this household!)

A delicious selection of wines and port.

chocolates...lindt, godiva, "the chocolate society" and good old quality street...

(these are gifts to/from our family, not just me!)

I got:

8 piece Wusthof knife set

Maple cutting board

4 different bottles of Shiraz wine

Bottle of Dows Vintage Port

1995 Vintage Dom Perignon

All Clad Stainless steel fondue pot

cookbook holder

Caphalon non stick broiler

garlic oil and seasonings for bread dipping

Hickory Farms cheese and salami assortment

nuts, chocolate.

Money from my mom which is going to buy a Waring Pro deep fryer and six handsome steak knives from Wusthof. :biggrin:

And a host of non related food items

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Gave Mom a 7-qt Le Creuset French oven, and received 3 cookbooks, 2 of which I already own... :blink:

Seriously, my mother and I both belong to the Good Cooks club, so she gave me 2 of the books she didn't want from the club. Well, they ARE books I did want, but I kept em when I originally got 'em ("Home cooking with the CIA", and "From Emeril's Kitchen"...

So I gave copious thank-you's, and when I got home, I went to Borders and exchanged said books for 2 other books I'd wanted to get...

Yes, I know I'm going to hell for that... at least the replacements were relatively very good books ("Union Square Cafe Cookbook", and "Aquavit".)

Edited by laurenmilan (log)

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

I received a new microwave oven (the old one was 18 years old and would be considered a "macrowave"!), a cherry pitter, an egg slicer, a beautiful brushed stainless mixing bowl (not brushed in the interior), and one of those silly bread knives that has an adjustable thickness guide. Anyone want it???

I gave out lots of wine: a couple of cases of 2001 Castano "Hecula". I also sent some folks some NC grains: grits, cornmeal and flour.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites