• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nashville area restos

GordonCooks

I'm attending a wedding this weekend in Nashville and due to a re-scheduled flight, my hopes of a Capital Grille visit with Sean Brock have been way-layed. Any other suggestions for a late night meal (after 9:30-10:30) this friday?

thanks

How about something here?

various options on different levels (price, food, etc.)

links from Fodors Nashville

Good luck, Gordon Cooks! Lots of great food in that city!

I was in the mood for fine dining so quality would be highest on the list. Maybe bistro style or new american. I've done the BBQ, southern fried, old school (The Wild Boar) on other visits. A decent wine list would be nice but not a definite - the only caveat is absolutely no chain restaurants

thanks

let me know if you would like to come in late, I'll see what I can do........

how late is late?????

Well my friend, my on-time flight record is horrible. If I manage to pop in on Fri/Sat at a reasonable hour (9:00 or before) I'll announce my arrival with a round of beers for the kitchen. :wink: Thanks for the offer though

Two other options:

http://nashville.citysearch.com/profile/40...restaurant.html

http://www.restaurantzola.com/

I have geen to both and I must confess I like Tayst better. Dan Morrisey runs the front of the house with his chef /partner in the kitchen. An eclectic wine list that has selections to please everyone.

edited for stupid spelling

Edited by dlc (log)

Two other options:

http://nashville.citysearch.com/profile/40...restaurant.html

http://www.restaurantzola.com/

I have geen to both and I must confess I like Tayst better.  Dan Morrisey  runs the front of the house with his chef /partner in the kitchen.  An eclectic wine list that has selections to please everyone.

edited for stupid spelling

Thanks, I always appreciate first hand reviews

Well, another trip under my belt yielded a typical food experience. After a timely arrival and traffic jam on the 65 - I arrived at the Cool Springs Marriott in Franklin after 10:30. This narrowed 0my dinner choices to basically a very tough strip steak at TGI Fridays. Saturday, I was to attend a late afternoon wedding so I decided to check out Nashville to see what has changed. I visited Provence Bakery in the Hillsboro section. A very nice selection of breads (and surprisingly, Cheeses!) A loaf of buttermilk currant convinced me that this would be a good bet for lunch. A grabbed an ice coffee at Bonjo Java and tried to decide what was so special about this. I mean, kitschy coffee shops manned by kids with spiky hair and tattoos are a dime a dozen - must be a new phenomenon.

Went back to the hotel to wake the better half and we headed over to the farmer’s market. A good selection of veggies but not much variety – lots of luscious tomatoes, okra, greens, strawberries, potatoes, and a few other things but not many herbs, lettuces, etc. The food court part of the market was barely open at 9:00 a.m. when the market opened – an excellent burrito place was noted along with a very complete Asian food store. Asian in terms of not only Oriental items but middle eastern, and Indian spices and foodstuffs as well.

We headed back to Provence for a couple of sandwiches and salads. The most surprising thing is that for a bakery café with a kitchen facility – all sandwiches are pre-made and wrapped in cellophane. So, when you expect a nice, chewy sourdough – you basically get a soggy sammy due to the tomatoes and overdressing. We attended a wedding that evening that was catered by Uncle Bud’s (or Moe’s, I can’t remember) typical southern fare and quite good – Fried Chicken, Roasted chicken, pulled pork, catfish, hush puppies, white beans and green beans. A few us made it back to the Demonbreun Street around 11:00 that evening for some cocktails. A bustling bar district with big town aspirations. Your requisite sports bar/dance bar/lounge/patio bar area. Some drinks and a walk over to White Castle at 2:00 a.m. punctuated another visit to Nashville.

PS - there must have been another Egulleter in the hotel - when I checked it on Saturday morning, someone had been posting from the business center computer I was using.

Edited by GordonCooks (log)