• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Starting a restaurant in Philly

Lazrowp

Obtaining Free Help/Advice:

I knew a long time ago that I would be on a tight budget. With this in mind I wanted to use all the free resources possible:

SCORE: (http://www.score.org)

I found this service while I was at the Business Library in NYC, which is a resource partner with the U.S. Small Business Administration. I took a meeting but unfortunately was unable to benefit due to the lack of restaurant experience of the volunteer working at SCORE at that time. I know each location is different as they are staffed by retirees who all have different strengths. I do recommend people to try this avenue for advise.

MBAT: (http://www.phila.gov/mbat/index.html)

This should be your first stop! Almost all cities offer this type of governmental assistance. Philly’s is called the “Mayor’s Business Action Team.” I have been in contact with this branch of the government for almost 1.5 years now. They will be able to spell out exactly what you must do and provide you with many contacts and advise. I am still in close contact with this group and once I open (knock on wood) I know I will keep my line of communication open with them.

UPenn S.B.D.C.: (http://whartonsbdc.wharton.upenn.edu)

The UPenn Small Business clinic is staffed 2nd year M.B.A. candidates. I received their contact information from the MBAT. I arranged a meeting by calling up and submitting my business plan with a short cover letter asking for assistance. I have 2-3 meetings with one student who spent some time in the industry. These were extremely helpful meetings early on. I stopped contacting them as the person I was working with graduated, although I feel like I could communicate with them again if I wanted.

Temple S.B.D.C.: (http://www.sbm.temple.edu/sbdc/mission.html)

I originally called both UPenn and Temple to check out their SBDC program. UPenn responded 1st so I went to them first (I also like the Ivy League / top Business School mystique) Months after I finished with UPenn, out of the blue Temple contacted me for a meeting. Of course I went as my experience was so good at UPenn. Let me tell you, Temple’s program was much better!! At Penn I was working with a student, OK…“Ivy League Student,” but at Temple I began working with a woman who has been a professional consultant for decades and also taught classes. The level was significantly higher!!!

UPenn Law Clinic: (http://www.law.upenn.edu/clinic/sbc/faculty.html)

The Penn Law Small Business Clinic saved me huge $$. (Temple University also offers the exact program) I had two 3rd year law students working with me and we worked together for almost 2 months. They helped with my lease review contract and other issues. These law students perform all their work under a register attorney who is also their professor. I can not recommend this Clinic enough. I mean, now my “very expensive lawyer” charges me $50 when I pick up the phone to call him.

What you must accept when you work with a law clinic or a S.B.D.C. is that you can not work at your own pace and you can not expect immediate timely advise. But of course…..all the above are free services.

:biggrin:

Paul

猿も木から落ちる - Saru mo ki kara ochiru

(Even monkeys can fall from a tree)

Lunch Menu

Dinner Menu

Kids Menu

Takeout Menu

I like that you're thinking about the kids, takeout and lunch menus.

Be sure to gear them towards volume, even moreso than otherwise for a robata joint.

As far as advice, after talking to enough of the SBDC / advisory places, I'd suggest taking Steve Cook from Marigold for dinner and drinks one Monday night and getting his viewpoints and opinions.

IIRC, he went got both the cooking degree and MBA before opening.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Naming:

Stephenc, I have been trying to come up with a name for sooo long.

Names I considered:

Satellite Sushi (was my #1 choice for a while), Global Sushi, Polar Bear Sushi, Village Sushi, Sushi Daily, Sushi Chalet, Sushi Tribe, Tribe Sushi, Tribal Sushi, Nation Sushi, Sushi Village, Daily Sushi, Lucky Sushi, Liberty Sushi, City Sushi, Oishii Sushi, Sumo Sushi, Sushi Sumo, Maido Sushi, Sushi Legacy, "A" Sushi, Sushi Whirl, Sushi Sashay, Sushi Shuffle, Sushi Spin, Sushi Flux, Sushi Tide, Sushi Ebb, Gliding Sushi, Sushi Brim, Sushi Serendipity, Cycle Sushi, Sushi Cycle, Sushi Sphere, Sushi Gossamer, Savory Sushi, Scrumptious Sushi, Cosmic Sushi, Destination Sushi, Carousel Sushi, Sushi Carousel, Round About Sushi, Sushi Stop, Feng Sushi, Orbit Sushi, Spin Sushi, Sushi Spin, Surf Sushi, Sushi Beach, Sushi Harmony, Harmony Sushi, Heron Sushi, Revolver Sushi, Rolling Hills Sushi, Rolling Sushi Restaurant

Names I like but are taken:

Ace Sushi, Café Sushi, Cajun Sushi, Circle Sushi (my favorite name for a conveyor belt sushi restaurant as it is so descriptive), Club Sushi, Genki Sushi, Monster Sushi, Simply Sushi, Sushi Circle, Sushi Den, Sushi Express, Sushi Go-Around, Sushi House, Sushi Inn, Sushi Island, Sushi Jones, Sushi Land, Sushi Maru, Sushi Samba, Sushi Shop, Sushi Station, Sushi Town, Sushi Village, Sushi Zen, Sushiville, Tengu Sushi Bar, Yo! Sushi

As of today, which is still three months from opening, I am going with the name “Sushi Nation.” What do you think of the name? I have friends who love it and friends who hate the name.

:huh:

Paul

As of today, which is still three months from opening, I am going with the name “Sushi Nation.”  What do you think of the name?  I have friends who love it and friends who hate the name. 

Sorry, it's not bad, it just doesn't say anything to me....

I think you were on the right track, as you noted with Circle Sushi, I really think you need something that reinforces the concept, it would be more memorable.

I think Satellite Sushi is pretty good, it gets at the orbiting thing. (and gives you some good logo possibilities!) Orbit Sushi, Cyclone Sushi, Sushi Roller, Rolling Sushi, something that highlights your uniqueness.

That's my thought, but then I'm not a marketing genius...

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Naming:

Names I considered:

Satellite Sushi (was my #1 choice for a while), Global Sushi, Polar Bear Sushi, Village Sushi, Sushi Daily, Sushi Chalet, Sushi Tribe, Tribe Sushi, Tribal Sushi, Nation Sushi, Sushi Village, Daily Sushi, Lucky Sushi, Liberty Sushi, City Sushi, Oishii Sushi, Sumo Sushi, Sushi Sumo, Maido Sushi, Sushi Legacy, "A" Sushi, Sushi Whirl, Sushi Sashay, Sushi Shuffle, Sushi Spin, Sushi Flux, Sushi Tide, Sushi Ebb, Gliding Sushi, Sushi Brim, Sushi Serendipity, Cycle Sushi, Sushi Cycle, Sushi Sphere, Sushi Gossamer, Savory Sushi, Scrumptious Sushi, Cosmic Sushi, Destination Sushi, Carousel Sushi, Sushi Carousel, Round About Sushi, Sushi Stop, Feng Sushi, Orbit Sushi, Spin Sushi, Sushi Spin, Surf Sushi, Sushi Beach, Sushi Harmony, Harmony Sushi, Heron Sushi, Revolver Sushi, Rolling Hills Sushi, Rolling Sushi Restaurant

Ace Sushi, Café Sushi, Cajun Sushi, Circle Sushi (my favorite name for a conveyor belt sushi restaurant as it is so descriptive), Club Sushi, Genki Sushi, Monster Sushi, Simply Sushi, Sushi Circle, Sushi Den, Sushi Express, Sushi Go-Around, Sushi House, Sushi Inn, Sushi Island, Sushi Jones, Sushi Land, Sushi Maru, Sushi Samba, Sushi Shop, Sushi Station, Sushi Town, Sushi Village, Sushi Zen, Sushiville, Tengu Sushi Bar, Yo! Sushi

As of today, which is still three months from opening, I am going with the name “Sushi Nation.”  What do you think of the name?  I have friends who love it and friends who hate the name. 

Paul

I too am no marketing guy but in my opinion, it can be called She Sells Sushi by the Seashore for all I care. The trick is having good high quality fish et al but I presume you have your sources lined up already.

You can probably answer this question but I always wonder why Philadelphia lags behind other cities in sushi quality. I lived in SF and NYC and despite a great food city, Philly sushi aint where its at. It's not meant to open a can of worms - there are some OK places but nothing sensational by and large. As a matter of fact, I think my sushi palate has dulled here to the point where mediocre stuff tastes very good to me now. I remember lamenting my move back from SF after having the local fare. Do we not have access to the fish distributors that, say, NY has? Half this stuff is jet flown in anyway I assume - perhaps incorrectly.

Evan

Dough can sense fear.

--------------------------------------

You can probably answer this question but I always wonder why Philadelphia lags behind other cities in sushi quality. I lived in SF and NYC and despite a great food city, Philly sushi aint where its at. It's not meant to open a can of worms - there are some OK places but nothing sensational by and large. As a matter of fact, I think my sushi palate has dulled here to the point where mediocre stuff tastes very good to me now. I remember lamenting my move back from SF after having the local fare. Do we not have access to the fish distributors that, say, NY has? Half this stuff is jet flown in anyway I assume - perhaps incorrectly.

Evan

----------------------------------------------

Evan, my response, which is only an opinion, revolves around the Japanese migration presence in America. NYC, SF, and LA are all cities where a large Japanese population has settled. In these cities, sushi has the largest presence. Likewise, you will find get amazing sushi in Sao Paulo Brazil as this city has the largest Japanese population outside of Japan. Some areas of Hawaii also are heavily populated by Japanese and you can find wonderful restaurants there as well.

I have spent a significant time on chowhound.com and some other food websites and there is a consensus that the best sushi in Philly is over the bridge at Sagami and Fuji in NJ. I find that such a shame that people feel that way as there are good Japanese restaurants in Philly like: Morimoto, Shiroi Hana, and Genji.

Philly does have the same access to the same distributors as NYC. Philly also gets fish from the Baltimore distributors. Just recently one of the largest distributors, True World Foods, opened a warehouse just outside Philly so we should see better distribution soon.

:wink:

Paul

I also like Satellite Sushi. Satellites are hi-tech, shiny and clean, all things I associate with Japan. They go round and round, obviously. And they're sorta cute, which is super-Japanese.

Sushi Nation is a good name, but it'd be better for a book than a restaurant (I suppose I'm thinking of Prozac Nation here): what are the visa requirements to enter the Sushi Nation?

"The Nation of Sushi"? No, that could get you into trouble, I think.

I also sort of liked Sushi Revolver: "do ya feel lucky, punk?" Okay, maybe that's not the image you want.

See, it's just so much easier to think of bad names for a sushi restaurant:

Discount Sushi

Sushi Barn

Cap'n Paul's Sushi Shanty

Tickle Me Fugu

Arkansas Sushi Kitchen (credit: herbacidal)

and so on.

When I was trying to think of images the conveyor belt evoked, going around and around, and the name "NASCAR Sushi" popped in my head, and quickly made me feel all queasy. I have a suspicion this is already slang for something... I don't want to think about what.

philadining.com

NASCAR Sushi huh!?! My head sushi chef, who is also my partner and friend, comes from Suzuka Japan, which is home to famous Grad Prix racetrack. His dream was/is to create a conveyor belt design that mirrors the race course. Of course, when you have a conveyor belt constructed, every curve and turn costs serious additional amounts of money so this design was not possible. Our final conveyor belt design is not so interesting, as we were unable to incorporate any cool curves.

:biggrin:

Paul

first off, thank you so much for sharing this experience with all of us. it's extremely generous of you.

as far as names go, "sushi nation" sounds good, if a little bit plain, IMHO. it reads a little 'pop' esque and modern, and i think it does conjure references to books like "fast food nation" and "prozac nation" and such. I'm not sure what you are going for in concept or physical design, of course, but i guess my question is, why does it have to have the word sushi in the title? why not "kaiten" (or whatever conveyor belt is in Japanese) or "Belt" or whatever. and then in the second title line, write something like "authentic conveyor belt sushi and sashimi" (and maybe in italics to emphasize the motion). most of the other sushi places around town don't include the word sushi in the main title. (genji, aoi, anjou, morimoto) and, maybe that is why you are doing it?

In general, i believe a restaurant title should, in some way, express what the concept of the restaurant is (look at stephen star's success with his names, alma de cuba, budhakan, jones, angelina, etc.... they are all very expressive) and "sushi nation" isn't terribly expressive. it clearly let's you know that it's a sushi place, but, other than that, it's not very distinctive, you know... anyway, i'm sure it will be great either way. i'm getting hungry just thinking about this conveyor belt thing, can't wait till you open, best of luck...

Gut reaction from someone with some advertising experience and a decent bit of hospitality experience: Sushi Nation doesn't quite work.

I think something techno-oriented and/or futuristic would be best as far as marketing and (hopefully) will be matched with your decor, etc.

Roboto-sushi?

Robata-sushi?

The discussion about Japanese food and sushi within the Philadelphia area has been done here previously. I'll see if I can find it. But basically, Paul's post on the subject is correct.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I will be working on the décor for the first time today with my architect/designer. Allow me a couple of days to respond the “name” issue and I will also describe how our name will hopefully fit with our look/feel. Briefly though, our main goal is to not “Asian-ize” the restaurant space. Instead of something sleek and modern, I am hoping for a warm casual atmosphere, which should help balance out the modern equipment that we will be using.

:smile:

Paul

Lawyer Interactions:

Can’t live with them, can’t get zoning without them, and only naive people try to sign a lease without them! As I mentioned earlier, I was fortunate to hook up the UPenn Small Business Law Clinic and they helped out tons. Even with their help, I used a lawyer for my lease review and a separate zoning lawyer for…zoning issues.

Having just moved to back to Philly, I didn’t any lawyer buddies, so my initial action was to contact the PA State Bar hotline (I saw their billboard off of I-95) for an introduction. I wasn’t too keen on this type of connection so I started to talk with different real estate brokers for their recommendations. I asked my brokers for someone not associated with a big law firm who was just starting out like me. (Just starting out means $100-150/hour and big firm means $200 plus/hr)

Am I done with lawyers? I hope so. I might have to deal with a party making a legal appeal against my zoning, and I know I will do some more work with a lawyer for my liquor license. Of course the two lawyers who I have worked with don’t specialize in liquor licenses.

Every $ I have spent with lawyers was worth it and I would do it again. Of course, I will keep my chit-chatting to a minimum as every phone call is $$$.

:rolleyes:

Paul

Great topic Paul. I appreciate your willingness to share in your ride. I wish you the best of luck. For those of us that have considered starting our own business (food or other venture) - this is great insight.

Mike

Great topic Paul.  I appreciate your willingness to share in your ride.  I wish you the best of luck.  For those of us that have considered starting our own business (food or other venture) - this is great insight.

Mike

Thanks Mike!

:raz:

Paul

Research:

The #1 source of capital for all startups is not a bank, nor venture capitalists, nor angel investors. The #1 source of small business capital is F.F.R. (family, friends and relatives). Most banks won’t even take a serious meeting with you unless you can show at least 20% of your own money invested. My F.F.R.s insisted I work for 1-2 years in restaurants before I proceed. This was my best research as I was able to not only “see it and do it,” but I also was able to make the personal commitment, as well as secure the support of the most important person in my life – my wife.

During that time I also started to buy too many restaurant books, all with similar titles: “How to open/run a restaurant” or “Restaurant Management.” Books are good, but I found that trade publications are better. My favorite is a weekly publication call National Restaurant News, which is put out by the National Restaurant Association. I also love Slammed and Restaurant Hospitality. I am sure there are many other great trade publications but one can easily reach information overload once the publications start being delivered.

Apart from the Internet and magazines, my other good source of information has been distributors and suppliers.

Unlike the fast food industry, or pizza industry, there is not a lot of information out there regarding the sushi industry and even less data on the conveyor belt sushi (C.B.S.)industry (at least in English). Through my research, I segmented the sushi industry as follows:

Sushi Market Segmentation

1. Traditional High-End sushi restaurants ($51-and up/p)

2. Traditional Medium class sushi restaurants ($21-50/p)

3. Traditional Inexpensive class sushi restaurants ($10-20/p)

4. Supermarkets that also serve sushi ($5-10/p)

5. All-you-can-eat Sushi ($15 – 30/p)

6. Sushi Fast Food ($5-15/p)

7. Chinese / Korean restaurants that also serve sushi ($6-15/p)

8. High end American fish restaurants that also serve sushi ($15-34/p)

Conveyor belt sushi represents the 9th segment. In America, where C.B.S. is so new, consumers will probably not recognize C.B.S. as a distinct market segment, and this distinction is one of my marketing hurdles.

Did any of this research bring me to any definitive answers as to whether I should proceed and risk almost everything and open a restaurant? NO!!! But…by doing research I believe I have reduced my risk slightly by learning about industry issues and learning how experts address those issues.

:raz:

Paul

How timely - haven't posted here in a long time, in large part because my husband and I have spent the better part of a year trying to open a restaurant on E. Passyunk Ave. in S. Philly.  It's been and continues to be baptism by fire, including but of course not limited to zoning hearing delays, unsatisfactory architect issues and inevitable construction delays - we thought we'd be open in May, then June/maybe July, now it's looking more like September (2005 - we think). 

Given our relative lack of experience in the industry, some people have remarked on how "bold" we are to do this, which I know is code for "ARE YOU HIGH??"  But an unusual opportunity for us to make a mark in our neighborhood - in the form of a very well-priced site on a revitalizing commercial strip - presented itself, and our very talented chef (Luciana Spurio of the former Buon Appetito, for those of you who may remember) was eager to stay on in the area and spread her wings.  So this is where we are now, anxiety-ridden and cash-poor but excited.  

I could go on and on with all the excruciating details (and I just might yet!), but  it's great to not feel alone!

Cath, here is a list of items that I try to consider:

Marketing

Advertising

Public Relations

Promotions

Branding

Community Relations

Environmental Stewardship

Accounting

Purchasing

Receiving

Staffing

Training

Financing

Insurances

Payroll

Designing

Employee Morale

Repairs & Maintenance

Financial Reporting

Employee Manuals

Job Descriptions

Health Department

Storage

Conveyor Belt Strategy

Uniforms

Policies & Procedures

Lunch Menu

Dinner Menu

Kids Menu

Takeout Menu

Security

Internet Presence

Trash Removal

Exterminator

I don't see computer hardware or POS software in the list...

When I was trying to think of images the conveyor belt evoked, going around and around, and the name "NASCAR Sushi" popped in my head, and quickly made me feel all queasy. I have a suspicion this is already slang for something... I don't want to think about what.

You know why you're feeling queasy? Because NASCAR would sue anyone who gave a restaurant that name, just as Toho Pictures was prepared to sue Godzilla (now Monster) Sushi in New York.

I like Satellite Sushi, too. Not only for the reasons Andrew mentioned, but because it has nice assonance. Hmmm...Now I'm getting clips of Speed Racer in my mind's eye and ear...Better avoid that name. Hey, how about Shinkansen Sushi? Too long?

[Disclaimer: I am neither a marketer nor do I play one on TV.]

Michael aka "Pan"

I like Satellite Sushi, too. Not only for the reasons Andrew mentioned, but because it has nice assonance. Hmmm...Now I'm getting clips of Speed Racer in my mind's eye and ear...Better avoid that name. Hey, how about Shinkansen Sushi? Too long?

spritle sushi! aaaaaaaah speeeeeeed!

i suspect it might be better to stay away from chim chim sushi, though. monkeys and raw fish: not an appetizing combination.

Shinkansen Sushi?

That name has a really nice sound to it, but I think it would require electromagnetic plates to really get the appropriate speed down the track! And trying to grab that piece of yellowtail as it rockets by might get tricky...

philadining.com

Shinkansen Sushi?

That name has a really nice sound to it, but I think it would require electromagnetic plates to really get the appropriate speed down the track! And trying to grab that piece of yellowtail as it rockets by might get tricky...

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Well, I don't think Subway Sushi would be a good idea, for a whole bunch of reasons.

Michael aka "Pan"

I like Satellite Sushi, too. Not only for the reasons Andrew mentioned, but because it has nice assonance.

Assonance? or alliteration?

Hey, how about Shinkansen Sushi? Too long?

I like it! Only I had to google "shinkansen". You wouldn't want to alienate or confuse the ignorant. By which I mean "my peeps."

And jas: monkeys make everything better. Also, ninjas.

Naming:

Names I considered:

Paul

What about "Circle of Sushi"? Don't know if you can change it this late.

BTW...I remember eating at a place like this in California about ten years ago...and I loved it. I'll be there when you open to check it out!!

Good luck, you're taking the plunge many of us here at egullet dream about

Assonance?  or alliteration?

You'll have to forgive Andrew's nitpickiness, in school he was frequently scolded for being assonant, and it's developed into a real complex.

But seriously, Paul, I don't mean to bang on your choice of Sushi Nation, I can understand wanting to resist the techno cliche of Japanese culture, and I'm sure you have a bigger concept, and it might work out fine.

But this recent linguistic silliness does bring up some interesting subtle aspects of marketing. Spoken, "Sushi Nation" does have that nice consonance (take that, il Fentoni!) of the repeated "sh" but it doesn't really flow trippingly off the tongue, tending more to elision into "Sushination" (which sounds like a medical term for some sort of primitive neurosurgery.)

And it doesn't really contract well, "Wanna meet me at the Nation?" doesn't quite have the same ring as "See you at the Satellite..."

And that word "nation" just has a bit of a herd-mentality connotation, "Fast Food Nation" and "Prozac Nation" used that term to indict our conformity. And it tends to evoke "nationalism" which feels more exclusionary than patriotic...

You could make that name work, but I just think you have an uphill battle against some unconscious imagery and linguistic shortcomings. So, just think hard before you print up the menus!

philadining.com