• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

About Jeanne McManus

We're fortunate to have Jeanne McManus, the current editor of The Washington Post Food section, join us for a few days of questions and answers.  Feel free to start posting your questions, thoughts and ideas now and Jeanne will begin addressing them on Wednesday June 5th.

As with our previous eGullet Q&A's--to post your question click on "New Topic."  That way each question on this forum is kept separate--and Jeanne can respond to you personally.  If any eGulleteer--newbies from Austin or Chicago or Hartford or Atlanta or indeed anywhere else--has any technical or logistical questions about this--feel free to message or e-mail me.  I'll talk you through it.

Jeanne became Food editor in 1999 and since then, her section has garnered critical acclaim--most notably the 5 James Beard award nominations for Newspaper Journalism in 2001 and winning 3--Best Column, Best Feature, Best News Story.

Also from her Post bio: "Was deputy sports editor for eight years that included 5 Olympics, 3 Redskins coaches, 3 Bullets/Wizards coaches, 3 Capitals coaches, Tonya and Nancy, OJ, Magic, Mike Tyson, 2 Michael Jordan retirements, one Bandwagon and dozens of stories on various athletes charged with drunk driving and sexual assault. Style assignment editor (one year), Magazine senior editor (eight years), Editorial Page assistant editor (2 years).

Fifth generation Washingtonian, a product of 16 years of local Catholic education (Blessed Sacrament grade school, Georgetown Visitation High School, Trinity College). Could win the Nobel Prize and still be known first and foremost as Tony Kornheiser's friend Nancy. Live with husband, David Stang, in Bethesda. And no I don't have a great kitchen. I have a lousy electric stove and a 22-year-old toaster oven."

Peruse the Post Food section here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/food/

We also discussed Jeanne's recent piece "Searching for Lillian: You Can Learn a Lot About a Woman From the Recipes She Collects" here:

http://forums.egullet.org/ikonboa....;t=6448

Yes, Jeanne decided to stir the pot a bit by answering a few questions early.  Enjoy them and feel free to ask more.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com