• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best/Favorite Food Magazines

Hopleaf

I subscribe to Cooks Illustrated, but actually cook very few of the recipes they offer.  I think they overdo the Best (fill in the blank) recipes a bit.  By the time they get done with the original recipe, it has strayed pretty far from the original recipe.    They're like the early 20th century harpsichord manufacturer who kept on improving the harpsichord to the point that it was said of him "If he keeps on at this rate he's going to invent the piano".  I also have trouble swallowing the down home folksiness of someone who's income probably exceeds the total income of all those simple downhome folks he writes about.  Well, I have to git about my chores now.  Slop the hogs, plow the lower 40, and wash the Maserati

• Like 1

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

And Canal House Cooking!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The only food magazines I still subscribe to are Lucky Peach and Art of Eating. If it had to be only one, it would be Art of Eating; that magazine is, in my opinion, indispensable, though it's not as recipe-focused as some of the other ones mentioned above.

Other than those, the only ones I read regularly are Art Culinaire and Saveur. For drinks, I'm giving Imbibe a second chance, after cancelling my subscription a couple of years ago when they devolved almost entirely into listicles ("The 50 Best X in America"). That trend seems to have stopped in recent issues.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

I was an original subscriber to Fine Cooking.  I really liked it, but their format became too repetitive/predictable for me.  I then had a pissing contest with their subscription service over what I subscribed to and whether is was to be automatically renewed.  So long.  The www has pretty much made them obsolete if you have enough experience to evaluate recipes.

I agree Bemoulli to much of what you say

I too have FC from its first copy.

as i get no other mag, Ill still keep it coming 

its Hard Copy Food p0rn in a way.

I do like the mix and match features  ( when they have them ) which should be every issue but thats not the case

i read ( visualize ) it and think of all the combo's and what they might taste like

after all : 30 years of Turkey ?  Roast Beef ?  but they have to balance cost, new subscribers etc.

Ill continue to get it.

I do enjoy the new cookbook section and then get them all from my library.

touching a publication  esp a glossy one has its appeal.

but your are correct, Print is in decline, WWW ascending.