• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best/Favorite Food Magazines

Hopleaf

The NY Times has an article on Cook's Illustrated: Clickety.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Since the frame of reference has extended beyond periodicals devoted to cooking, let me cite an outstanding one which hasn't been mentioned.

Slow, the magazine of the Slow Food Movement. This is a quarterly devoted to the artisanal food of various countries.

I'm with John Whiting on this one. The Slow magazine is seriously good.

There are some who decry the Slow Food movement, however I fully support the idea of trying to rid the world of the unbelievably horrible American exports such as McDonalds and Starbucks.

And someone mentioned Saveur. They have seriously compromised their previously reasonable position with some of their sycophantic reviews of truly horrible restaurants. I would refer to a review of a restaurant underneath the freeway in New Orleans as an example!

Having been there on a number of occasions I can confirm that the food is crap@!

Roger McShane

Foodtourist.com

Yes it is worth the subscription.

No website yet.  It is being worked on.

You can also find it at certian Barnes and Noble locations around the country.

Or you can call 212-684-4224 and ask for Food Arts and see where they may be selling them near you.

"Food Art" is available to hospitality industry professionals free for the asking. They will send an application asking for your association in the industry. I believe, writers, reviewers and similar are also entitled. Call the number and ask them to send you a form, don't know if you qualify, nothing wagered / nothing gained!

Peter

You may need to be persistent to obtain Food Arts. I'm a writer and a reviewer and I still had trouble getting it. I sent in numerous subscription cards and even called the publishing company - not the easiest number to get. I even sent in a check for the "civilian" subscription rate. Finally, something clicked and I now get Food Arts - two copies of each every time.

Bill Daley

Chicago Tribune

• 4 months later...
And I being on the masthead get zero copies in the mail.  I am lucky when I can get the publisher to hand carry me some back issues. 

The number I gave is easy to get through to.

And their subscription department is strange.

I finally got my first issue of Food Arts!! It's a great mag.

Totally forgot about this thread, thanks to helena.

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

Hey, how about a quarterly called "the Art of Eating" by Edward Behr? I got a thingy in the mail about it. It looks interesting, but from what I can tell Edward Behr is the only person involved in the publication. I went on their web site www.ArtofEating.com which didn't offer too much info on contributors, strenthening my suspicion that this quarterly is a one-man operation. Who is Edward Behr? Anyone know this magazine? It costs a hefty $39/year, but a special offer in the mailer I got gives you a 5th issue for free with the subscription (I think you can get this special offer on their site if you mention that you heard about it) I'd like to check it out before subscribing. Is it available in magazine shops? I've looked around and find none. Anyone with info/opinions on this publication?

Rory Bernstein Kerber

www.RoryKerber.com

Hey, how about a quarterly called "the Art of Eating" by Edward Behr? I got a thingy in the mail about it. It looks interesting, but from what I can tell Edward Behr is the only person involved in the publication. I went on their web site www.ArtofEating.com which didn't offer too much info on contributors, strenthening my suspicion that this quarterly is a one-man operation. Who is Edward Behr? Anyone know this magazine? It costs  a hefty $39/year, but a special offer in the mailer I got gives you a 5th issue for free with the subscription (I think you can get this special offer on their site if you mention that you heard about it) I'd like to check it out before subscribing. Is it available in magazine shops? I've looked around and find none. Anyone with info/opinions on this publication?

I find it excellent. But I get almost everything. You may be able to find a copy in B&N, not sure, though.

Nick

As a very non-professional cook, with no current plans to travel the world and eat out at top restaurants, I like magazines that focus on food and easy preparation for home cooks.

Living in Japan I have to pay twice what others do, so I pick my magazines carefully.

Currently I subscribe to :

Cook's Illustrated

Fine Cooking

Eating Well (I used to enjoy their magazine way back when and when I say they were starting up production again I decided to subscribe. I like their combination of nutrition, food and travel and find their recipes quite good)

Edited to make it look like I actually know how to speak English

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Art of Eating is great. I can't recommend it enough.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Hey, how about a quarterly called "the Art of Eating" by Edward Behr?

I've been subscribing to this since 92 or so, starting in Japan, and have given it as a gift to a few folks who like food and wine. Overseas delivery is reliable and reasonably cheap compared to other mags.

Wonderful food essays in depth, with a good understanding of the topic and an intelligent writing style. This is not recipe driven, but it's one of the few food mags that I save to re-read and refer to.

The Art of Eating is great reading. Take a look at the back issue list on the website to get an idea of the topics covered. The travel pieces are detailed and accompanied by marvelous black and white photographs. While much of the writing is by Behr, other writers are included. The current cover story, Twelve Restaurants in Tokyo, is by Mitchell Davis of the James Beard Foundation. This issue also includes pieces by Harold McGee and Nancy Harmon Jenkins.

I especially enjoyed the issues on Paris. There's almost always some wonderful writing about cheese.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

I quite like Elle a Table. It's French, but the recipes are different than the standard American food magazines, and they have a nice few pages of new French products in the front of the mag.

I like this one, too. Some fo the recipes are off-the-wall, but most are quite good (and the illustrationsare usually fun). I think Cusine et Vins de France is also on the same level.

Bouland

a.k.a. Peter Hertzmann

à la carte

Thumbs up for Art of Eating. I can't recommend it enough. On the other hand it's probably not for everyone--maybe not even for everyone here. By comparison with the glossies, it's scholarly. There's no filler and sometimes it's a bit dry. If the writing is on a subject in which I have little interest, it can be hard to get through the article, but the coverage is authoritative. Unfortunately it's pricey. There is no advertising and Behr doesn't pander to a mass audience. It's always worth reading.

Cuisine et Vins de France is a magazine I've been buying when I'm in France since the sixties--on and off. It's changed a lot, but I still pick up a copy on most trrips. If I were more fluent in French, I'd probably consider a subscription.

I'll have to check out Elle à Table.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Madame Figaro Cuisine is also worth checking out. In fact, I think some issues are even better than Elle a table. They did an all-chocolate issue in 1999 that was just amazing. These mags are miles ahead of publications like Gourmet and Food and Wine.

....."Thumbs up for Art of Eating. I can't recommend it enough. On the other hand it's probably not for everyone--maybe not even for everyone here. By comparison with the glossies, it's scholarly. There's no filler and sometimes it's a bit dry. If the writing is on a subject in which I have little interest, it can be hard to get through the article, but the coverage is authoritative. Unfortunately it's pricey. There is no advertising and Behr doesn't pander to a mass audience. It's always worth reading......."

I like to reiterate, as posted on 12 June at 2:46:

"Food Art" is available to hospitality industry professionals free for the asking. They will send an application asking for your association in the industry. I believe, writers, reviewers and similar are also entitled. Call the number and ask them to send you a form, don't know if you qualify, nothing wagered / nothing gained!

Peter

helena, is Australian Vogue Entertaining + Travel available on newstands in your part of world? My friend in Hong Kong, also says this magazine is her favorite food publication. What does this magazine have that makes it so appealing?

---------------

Steve

I think I've seen Australian Vogue Entertaining + Travel on NYC magazine racks. You might have to go to one of the major places that have a large selection of foreign magazines, but there are no shortage of them in NYC. I guess the Internet hasn't put print journals out of business.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Suzanne, so why do we like australian vogue so much?

myself - for great photography and unusual recipes. Although maybe it's because i'm not that exposed to australian food writing style. Somehow i feel this magazine is similar to Donna Hay's approach: kind of East Meets West, but very clean and thus very attractive.