• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best/Favorite Food Magazines

Hopleaf

I do have the Montreal issue and it makes me jealous..

I adopt similar strategies, keep what I want toss the rest (this works for most issues of Gourmet). For Cooks, I tend to keep the issues until I buy the bound hardcover annual, and then i will flip through and cut up the individual issues.

Go to the Montréal thread. There is discussion ther , and a lot of Montrealers participate. You will see the pros-and cons of the Mntreal issue and be up-to date as to what they got right ( most of the issue !)

visit my fondation: www.ptitslutins.org

I started a food blog : http://antoniodelaruepapineau.blogspot.com/

(in french)

The only one I subscribe to is saveur. I love the photos and learn so much by reading it. Sometimes I pick up Food & Wine at the store if it looks goood, same with Vegetarian Times. I'll only buy a food magazine if I honestly think I can find a great recipe in that issue. Otherwise, it's a waste of money. I live in a town that has a used book store with an amazing selection of used cookbooks. Most of them cost less then half that I would pay for a cooking magazing. BTW: If you don't save your magazines maybe you might like to consider donating them to the following places: your local soup kitchen, homeless shelter, nursing or elderly home, incarceration centers, high schools, etc. Most of these magazines are at least $3.00-4.00 dollars in the US and many people can't afford them. My friends and I swop magazines back and forth until we're done and then collect them all and donate to one of the organizations above. Just being able to flip though these magazine inspires the people who cook at these facilites to make better food, even though they rely on donated goods. It's good for everyone.

Melissa

Any suggestions on how to get her to trim the collections without feeling deprived?

Y'know you can read them online or at the library for free, right? You don't actually have to invite them to share your home, which is nice, since they never pay half of the rent. Gourmet/Bon Appetit also maintain a recipe database and they are all there for the taking, no charge, no clutter.

Of course if you are looking for magazines for her, I would be delighted to contribute to her collection. Just let me know when you will be home and I will have the truck stop by.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I have every issue of Fine Cooking and Cooks Illustrated. But I'm so busy that I have a lot of issues that I haven't even read that sometimes I forget and buy duplicate copies. I think I'm still buying them because I hate to break up the set. Maybe I should sell them to a collector?

Edited by maxmillan (log)

I am very lucky because the convinience store in the building where I work carries tons of cooking magazine...and I cannot stop buying them. It seems that there is a new one every week.

Here are those I buy:

Delicious ( australian)

Fresh ( British)

La cucina Italia (USA)

Saveur (France)

Saveur (USA)

Donna Hay Magazine ( Australia)

Régal ( France)

Cuisine Actuelle( France)

Fine Cooking ( USA)

Country Cook ( USA)

Chow ( USA)

Ricardo ( Québec)

Everyday Cooking (USA)

Food ( British)

My favorite among them iare probably Delicious , but there Chrismas issue id ther " It strawberry season !issue , so sometime difficult to cook in season with , The french Saveur is very nice as well with more cooking/recipies than the american version. Régal is beautifull and very informative.

What magazines do you buy and enjoy !

Olive is a brilliant British food magazine - I highly recommend it.

Does anyone reading this thread still have the July '93 issue of Bon Appetit? If you do there is a recipe for Windows Crabcakes on page 83 I think. Would love to have the recipe--I lost it.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

Of course if you are looking for magazines for her, I would be delighted to contribute to her collection.  Just let me know when you will be home and I will have the truck stop by.

No doubt you've realized by now that there is a bit of a (albeit very well hidden) packrat problem in our home. :hmmm: Well, I've just sold a few lots of science magazines and Architectural Digests on eBay, with quite good profits! Maybe you could try that. If you happen to have Victoria or Martha Stewart Living, those go for a premium. Kiddle is not willing to eBay her magazines as yet, and I am NOT going to allow her to accept your offer, otherwise. :raz:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Here's a link to a website that hosts some Bon Appetit/Gourmet etc. recipes, there are 35 crab cake recipes featured when you search, maybe one of them is similar? I'm "Curious"?

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

I did not subscribe to, but am receiving, Vegetarian Times--I don't know whether this was because (as I suspect) the Cooking Club of America (which I've discovered is more a marketing organization than a group for cooks, though it does have trappings of the latter) sold my name to them or because I dropped something into a box somewhere on a visit to Whole Foods once.

I keep saying I'll subscribe to Cook's Illustrated, but haven't actually done so yet.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Here's a link to a website that hosts some Bon Appetit/Gourmet etc. recipes, there are 35 crab cake recipes featured when you search, maybe one of them is similar? I'm "Curious"?

Not there--closest is crab cake with creamy caper sauce. Funny thing is it's been so long I don't remember what was in it--it was the best I had at the time. It's just driving me crazy that I can't find it!!! It may not be as good as the one I eat now.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

Sorry that I'm a few days late to the party. In a little bit of self-promoting, I would suggest you check out the Ultimate Foodie Magazine thread. But I take no responsibility on bankruptcies. (Oh, and Rebecca263, don't show your daughter the list. lol)

And for the record I subscribe to Gourmet & Bon Appetit (free subscriptions!). And I regularly buy a bunch of others. Should renew my subscription to Wine Spectator since I buy it a lot anyway.

-Greg

• 1 year later...

Hey there,

I'm looking to subscribe my fellow foodie friend to a food magazine for his birthday.

Which one do you consider "the best"? I'm thinking along the lines of Gourmet, Bon Appétit, Cook's Illustrated, Food & Wine, Saveur...

Which of these would you recommend most? Any other one out there worth a subscription?

Thanks!

It realy depends on the individual's interests. If they're really into cooking and want perfect recipes for mainstream foods and little other content, go for Cooks Illustrated. If they're more into food culture and less into cooking, try Saveur. Those are probably the extremes

As others said, it really depends on your friend's interests. Gourmet has too much talk, not enough food, in my opinion. But if your friend likes that sort of stuff, then he might enjoy it.

I like Fine Cooking much more than Cook's Illustrated, because it offers a wider range of food styles, and more recipes.

I also prefer Bon Appetit to Food&Wine, because the recipes are usually more accessible to the average home cook.

Why don't you go to a large bookstore and spend some time around the magazine section? You know your friend best, so you can decide which magazine would be best for him based on his interests (as opposed to ours).

I personally enjoy Food & Wine best, because I have a strong interest in wine as well as tasty edibles. If I didn't, I'd suggest Bon Appetit. Gourmet last (of the major publications).

Fine Cooking would follow, with Saveur last (good writing -- too expensive for the like, 4 pages of content that come in each miniscule issue, what's it printed on, white truffle paper?)