• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any Oregon Coast don't misses?

Enjoyed another great dinner at Pacific Way Bakery and Cafe last night. This place is full on weekends. Definite reservations on weekends here. I had the ahi tuna seared rare and served with red pepper coulis, friend onons, herbed mushroom risotto and spring vegetables. Very good with a nice glass of Rex Hill pinot gris. Other entrees were the cheese pizzas, and tarragon chicken. Marionberry crisp and chocolate souffle cake for desserts. Yum! :)

If you get down the coast to the mouth of the Rogue River, that's Gold Beach.

I spent several days there last summer.

We did: Jerry's Jet Boats, which, on the all-day excursion, includes a wonderful lunch at an old fishing lodge upriver.

We ate breakfast every morning at: Indian Creek Cafe & RV Park, which was recommended to us as having the 'best breakfasts in Oregon.' Don't know about that, but we went the first morning, and it was good enough that we went back the next two.

We had several excellent meals at Riverview Restaurant, overlooking the Rogue River.

Overall, Gold Beach was a great place to visit.

And I'd recommend it.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

We had an excellent meal at the Stephanie Inn on Fri. night. It was a four-course meal in an elegant setting. I highly recommend this place for anyone looking for a fine dining experience in Cannon Beach. It is $44/pp and there are two seatings each night. Reservations have to be guaranteed with a credit card and there are no children under 12 in the dining room. We will definitely be back again and again here. And only a $10 corkage fee. :)

I had a truly great dinner at April's in the Newport/Nye Beach area last Thursday night. The food is sophisticated and beautifully prepared. They have top-notch waitstaff, too. You can't go wrong there!

For a fine dining experience, check out the Silver Salmon Grille in Astoria. We had a very good dinner there last night. There is a very nice selection of salmon entrees, great clam chowder, warm homemade bread and yummy desserts. We had the creme brulee and chocolate raspberry cake. Three entrees, a bowl of soup, corkage fee and three deserts was around $60. www.silversalmongrille.com Cheers! :)

I would also like to suggest the Gower Street Bistro in Cannon Beach. We dined there couple of nights ago and had a really nice meal. It's a comfort food type place. I had the caprese salad, the gnocchi in brown butter sauce and a nice glass of Pinot Noir from France that was only $5/glass. Other entrees were the meatloaf, macaroni and cheese and Tarragon chicken. Dessert was the German Chocolate cake that was also very good. Cheers!

Can anyone reommend a great place to eat in Manzanita?  How is Blue Sky Cafe?  :)

It's been a while since I've eaten at the Blue Sky Cafe, but I remember it as a fine restaurant, a little more upscale than Pirate's Cove (although I do love the Pirate's Cove oysters).

Check out our Fooddoings and more at A View from Eastmoreland

Ok, ok! Y'all convinced me! I'm taking a week in September and splitting it between Manzanita, and the wine country.

Can't wait! :wink:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

There's a new Mexican place in Manzanita, has anyone tried it yet? Would love to hear opinoins on it. Left Coast or something like that? I also saw that Fireside has changed to Bistro Manzanita about 10 months ago. Would love opinons on that place also for our next trip to the area the end of the month. :)

We now have plenty to keep us busy eating and drinking for our 10 day holiday. I will post our reports for future travellers when we get back. Tonight we are just finalizing our overnight plans (and Manzanita looks like an absolute MUST!) We will stay at reasonable places, with Stephanie Inn the fanciest. Between the coast and the wine country we will have a fabulous time and thanks to all who have pumped up their favs and been honest with their rejects.

We will run out of time to go all the way south as originally planned. There's always a next time.

Ta much, :wub:

Wendy

OK, so now we've looked at the map and decided to head west from Olympia and drive the southern part of the Washington coast from Aberdeen, Long Beach, Ilwaco to Astoria. We'll hit the Oregon coast on down from there and take notes for everyone.

Any suggestions for good spots to stay/eat en route?

We are just back from your same trip and here is an update for you on some restaurants not mentioned.

1) I mentioned the Blackfish Cafe in Lincoln City before. We did eat there again and it was just as good as we remembered it. Had a superb flatbread appetizer with a wonderful eggplant caponata. My bride had their duck and loved it. I had the pork special and it was good.

2) We found another incredible place in Lincoln City. It is called Wildflower. No great ambience but the food was terrific and the price was ASTOUNDING! My bride had the pork with apples and raisins and I had the duck with a wonderful blackberry sauce. Both came with salads that were way beyond the usual. No iceberg lettuce in sight. A wonderful marionberry vinaigrette dressing. That and wine and are you ready for this? $45. Amazing.

3) For lunch we stopped in Cannon Beach at a place called the Lumberyard Rotisserie and it was a nice lunch place. But the highlight for me was a pulled pork sandwich that had a fantastic sauce made with pepsi cola. Worth a try.

4) If you (or anyone else needs a great B&B we suggest the Ocean Lake Inn. A very nice place that was built as a B&B. About two blocks off the highway and 4 blocks from the beach.

We came back through Portland and had a wonderful dinner at Oba in the Pearl District. Caribbean and South American food. Superb.

Last night we stayed in Belfair at the Selah Inn. Great room but some of the worst hospitality at a Bed and Breakfast we have ever seen. Didn't meet anyone other than the owner's daughter and granddaughter until we checked out. When we asked for dinner recommendations they could not recommend anything other than telling us where not to go. We finally ended up at a hole in the wall burger type joint in Port Orchard. Are they any decent restaurants in that neck of the woods? Belfair? Bremerton? Port Orchard?

• 3 weeks later...

We're back on the coast again and have had some more great meals. In Seaside, Bigfoot Pub ad Grub was again great and we enjoyed a nice dinner at Lil Bayou, a cajun place here in Seaside. The eggplant dressing with crawfish and butter cream recipe was featured in Bon 'Appetit a couple of years ago. We had a fun lunch at Sam's Seaside Cafe. Shrimp melt and fries for only $6!!!

In Cannon Beach, we enjoyed Bistro last night for dinner before surfing at Indian Beach. We shared the pear and walnut salad, the Greek Lemon Soup and the Baked & Marintaed King Salmon with chantrelle and garlic sauce. Very good! For dessert after surfing we had two chocolate pot de creme which were excellent from the Gower St. Bistro. Hope to try Driftwood Inn in CB soon and will report on that when we return. Cheers! :)

Well, tomorrow morning early we leave for this much discussed and planned trip. I can't wait for the break and am looking forward to many of your suggestions.

With the latest from Syrah Girl and everyone else's posts the coast is looking pretty good and tasty at the moment. Can't bloody well wait! Maybe we'll see you all in a little spot en route licking our chops. See you there and will report back next week. :smile:

Looking forward to your report upon your return! We had another great meal at Gower St. Bistro a couple of nights ago. The caprese salad, Painted Hills beef fillet mignon and chocolate pot de creme were all very yummy. The place isn't cheap,but it's worth it. Beautiful ambiance here also, located in the Cannon Beach Hotel. Cheers! :)

We finally made it to the Nahalm River Inn. It was wonderful! I think this place and Stephanie Inn are the two top places on the coast right now. We very much recommend a visit here to anyone in this area. It's only about a 30 minute, very scenic drive from Seaside and about 20 minutes from Cannon Beach. www.nahalemriverinn.com :)