• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any Oregon Coast don't misses?

My sweetie and I are heading to Portland and the Oregon Coast the first week of August. We were there last year and did a one day drive to the coast from Portland. We promised ourselves that we'd come back this year with more time.

We have booked into the Stephannie Inn, but I'm wondering what we shouldn't miss in the way of food, wine, stuff to do. Any suggestions out there?

Including the fact you can buy great wine at any of the local grocery stores along the coast, we particularly enjoyed a littel coastal town called Manzanita.

Stayed at the Coast Cabins, more like a boutique hotel. Very luxurious - Ralph Lauren sheets all round - very well appointed rooms.

The other reason we enjoyed Manzanita was the little wine bar called Vino, where they offer great wines by the glass and little tasting plates of olives, cheese and bread from the adjoining bakery, Bread and Ocean. The bakery is the one and only stop for morning coffee and pastries, wonderful soups, cheeses and olives for a beach picnic. Killer.

Loved that little place called Manzanita

Bread and Ocean,387 Laneda Avenue 506-368-5823

Coast Cabins, 635 Laneda Avenue, 503-7113 www.coastcabins.com

How far south are you going? I've got some recommendations for Gold Beach.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

In Lincoln City is the Blackfish Cafe. We were there for three days and ate their two of the nights. They have a website with complete menu (just Google Blackfish Cafe in Lincoln City, OR). It is worth the trip from Cannon Beach. Easily the best restaurant we have found on the coast. We already have reservations for July 6th. Can't wait!

Bill's Tavern on the main drag in Cannon Beach. Pub fare and they brew their own beer. Lazy Susan Cafe for breakfast, Bistro Restaurant for dinner.

I've eaten at Pulicci's before but its been years so I can't say yay or nay to that one.

I notice there's some new places I haven't checked out yet.. I'll be checking those out come Tgiving timeframe!

Born Free, Now Expensive

The whole of the Oregon coast is beautiful and you can drive and drive and still see amazing things. So do it. Heading south from Cannon Beach is incredible, both for the scenic beauty and for the kitschy businesses that are the livelyhood of year-round residents. There are great places to eat and cosmopolitan things to do, but it's best to travel with an open mind about what really keeps the little towns going. I had some disappointing vacations until I realized that I wasn't going to find great espresso or the best line caught seafood, although both are certainly possible. Instead I embraced some things that back home I wouldn't have considered. (Wow, that was sort of depressing...)

Now here are some things that I really enjoyed: The Pelican Pub and Brewery in Pacific City was phenomenal, primarily because of the location on the beach, the gill-netting and surfing going on a hundred feet away, and the delicious beer, but the food wasn't bad either, if slightly expensive. Cute little resort town. http://www.pelicanbrewery.com/

In Yachats there is a little restaurant on the left side of South 101 just after the big 90 degree turn that serves good food in a hip family atmosphere. I had a couple of drinks at the bar, then a good, solid meal. The service seems to be recruited from the immediate family, but they were friendly and happy to be there. It's hard to be disparaging about a 12 year old girl sweetly delivering a plate of food from her uncle's kitchen. I'm not saying that that was the reality, but the very large martinis gave them the benefit of the doubt.

For me the one place that I always hit is the Rogue Brewery in Newport just south of the bridge. I recently heard that they also have a pub in the downtown area, and it made me sad to think about the high price of unleaded and the fact that I will keep thinking about it until I go down there. The original, and still the primary brewing facility, is very cool. You walk through the warehouse to get to the pub that overlooks the river, then have sort of common pub food done very well. They have the usual sampler sets for beer tourists, but also have things that can't be found anywhere else. They also have a gift shop that sells bottles of obscure Rogue beers.

The Tillamook cheese factory is certainly something to see. I've been there a few times now and I always leave with a bag of 'squeaky cheese', the fresh curds before they are pressed and aged. It's crowded, it's touristy, it's educational, but there's plenty of parking. If you can put up with those issues then don't miss it.

Oh, Manzanita. Why are you so alluring? You know I will never be able to afford a vacation cottage there, and it's so outrageously pricey to rent a house for a week. I will see you the next time I'm in the vicinity, and you will be there with an expensive boutique food store and an excellent bakery, all located on the three-block-long main street. I will drive along the side streets with my latte, wondering who lives in the mansions on stilts to the north and the low, large ramblers to the south, all of which have views of the rugged coastline. Then I will return to my tent at the Nehalem State Park, which is also spectacular for walking on an undisturbed beach, and pretend that I can stay for the season. Oh, I'll see you again.

To return to the main theme briefly, whatever you do enjoy the fact that you are there instead of anywhere else. You can't find everything good on the first try, but hopefully you will see enough to want to come back, and then be able to return someday and see more.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?

You will love Cannon Beach and the Stephanie Inn. We have a beach cottage in Seaside, so I haven't stayed there but toured the property in March. I have heard great things about their dining room there and hope to it next month. We really enjoyed our dinner at the Wayfarer at the Surfsand Resort. Food is above average and the views of Haystack rock are nice from the dining room. We have also enjoyed meals at Cafe Mango, located in downtown CB. Mo's is a family favorite of ours, very casual but some pretty good clam chowder and I like the way they prepared their peppered salmon here. My next place I want to try in CB is the Bistro, have heard great things about it.

In Seaside, check out McKeown's for a great meal. I had a yummy breakfast here. They make a mean crab cake benedict and scones and fresh pasteries are served complimentary. Down on Avenue U is Corpeny's, another great place for breakfast or lunch. If you are looking for ribs, check out the Bigfoot Pub and Grub in Seaside. We can't find any place that makes the ribs like this place does. Only served on Sun. night.

I would also recommend checking out Astoria. The Cannery Cafe, the Ship Inn, Fulio's (Italian) and the Silver Salmon Grille are a few of my favorites. It's worth it to go over the bridge to Chinook, WA and have a meal at the Sanctuary. It's located in an old church and they have salmon that is caught fresh from the boat that day and they make a really good Swedish meatball here. Then go to Seaview, WA a bit up the road to the 42nd Street Cafe. A quaint little place that serves salmon, pasta, salads that is just wonderful. Better than any place in CB or Seaside, IMO. I used to recommend the Shoalwater at the Shelburne Inn, but our last meal there was very disappointing.

Manzanita is also very nice. I like the Fireside Cafe for their marionberry stuffed french toast. I hope to try Blue Sky Cafe soon and I'm also going to make it to Nahalem to the Nahalem River Inn which I have heard raves about on the www.portlandfood.org food board. Have a great time and please report back on your experiences. :)

In Lincoln City is the Blackfish Cafe. We were there for three days and ate their two of the nights. They have a website with complete menu (just Google Blackfish Cafe in Lincoln City, OR). It is worth the trip from Cannon Beach. Easily the best restaurant we have found on the coast. We already have reservations for July 6th. Can't wait!

Last summer, we went on quite a road trip that included the entire length of the Oregon coast. We also stopped in Lincoln City and ate at the Blackfish Cafe. It was, as you say, very, very good.

And it's also a place where I got quite an insight. Like most trendy, stylist North American cafes, the waitstaff is young, attractive, upscale. Thin and tres chic.

But appearing every now and then from the back of the house was that staple of the American restaurant kitchen -- the silent, hard-working Mexican man. Going quietly and diligently about his business of cleaning the tables, bussing the dishes, undoubtedly supporting an entire family, most important, his mama, back in Mexico. I have been living in Texas and am quite accustomed to seeing Mexicans always toiling away at these menial jobs. But seeing him, so far from home, slaving over our dirty dishes, really brought home one fact. This entire nation runs on the backs of Mexicans. I tried to slip him an extra $20 for his mama, but he said he wasn't allowed to take it. So I called over the manager and insisted.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

We spent a great beachy weekend in Gearhart (just north of Seaside) last month. Ditto what someone said about a good breakfast at McKeown's in Seaside, though most of the rest of Seaside has more of a food circus carnival atmosphere.

We also had a unexpected treat eating at the nice restaurant in Gearhart (there is only one restaurant besides the golf club, so it is easy to find even tho I cannot recall the name). It was one of those amazing nights where even though hardly any people are visible anywhere, the restaurant was packed and you wonder where they came from. The menu was eclectic, with large leafy salads and much seafood. Decent wine list with an Oregon emphasis-natch!

One disappointment is that the Lazy Susan seems to have changed ownership or expanded. The wood shingle place in the back is still there, but the fabulous Eggs Benedict are no longer on the menu. And the large place on the streetfront is also named Lazy Susan, but has a compeltely different atmosphere.....tho I did have a nice seafood salad, chowder, and bowl of clams it just wasn't the old Lazy S' from memory.

Oil and potatoes both grow underground so french fries may have eventually invented themselves had they not been invented -- J. Esther

It's the Pacific Way Bakery & Cafe. I hope to try it this month. Yes, the chocolate-orange wine is very good. For many years this was the only tasting room in Astoria. Now there is also the Cellar on 10th Street and the Vintner's Room at the Hotel Elliott where you can taste flights of wines. If you're into wine, don't miss the Vintner's Room. www.hotelelliott.com Cheers! :)

Thanks all.

I will add your notes to my itinerary and try to hit as many as we can. Sounds like there's many little hidden gems on the coast (and en route).

I think after the Stephanie Inn, we'll head south and even make it to Bend - the circle tour - down to the Rogue and up the middle so there will be lots to explore.

Wendy

I think after the Stephanie Inn, we'll head south and even make it to Bend - the circle tour - down to the Rogue and up the middle so there will be lots to explore.

Well, in that case, I'll repeat my offer. If you're going to Gold Beach, I have some recommendations.

I posted a few weeks ago on a few hits and a major miss around Florence.

A few goodies and one Baddie

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Oh, Manzanita.  Why are you so alluring?  You know I will never be able to afford a vacation cottage there, and it's so outrageously pricey to rent a house for a week.  I will see you the next time I'm in the vicinity, and you will be there with an expensive boutique food store and an excellent bakery, all located on the three-block-long main street.  I will drive along the side streets with my latte, wondering who lives in the mansions on stilts to the north and the low, large ramblers to the south, all of which have views of the rugged coastline.  Then I will return to my tent at the Nehalem State Park, which is also spectacular for walking on an undisturbed beach, and pretend that I can stay for the season.  Oh, I'll see you again.

:wub:

We spend every Thanksgiving at Manzanita. Have been for 12 years now. I know exactly what you are talking about.

Born Free, Now Expensive

• 2 weeks later...

We had an amazing meal at the Pacific Way Bakery & Cafe last night. Service was great, ambiance was quaint and cozy and the food was fantastic. I had the proscuitto wrapped sea scallops with smoked tomato polenta, shaved fennel and balsamic reduction syrup. Beautiful presentation and flavors were wonderful. For dessert I had the marrionberry crisp and vanilla bean ice cream. Just like my grandmother used to make. I highly recommend this place. It's a few minutes from Seaside. 601 Pacific Way, Gearhart, OR Cheers! :)

If you head south from Cannon Beach, you'd do well to stop at Karla's Smokehouse, which is on the north end of Rockaway. Their smoked oysters are to die for. I think they smoke them on Thursdays or Fridays and they rarely have any left by Sunday. I always pick up a bunch when I'm down that way and then dole them out one a day to nibble on while having a martini before dinner.

Check out our Fooddoings and more at A View from Eastmoreland

Love that smoked oysters and martini idea! I can almost taste them now.

I am taking notes like mad and will try to hit all the highlights. Everyone has a story it seems. I may need a serious cleanse afterwards, but it'll be worth it.

A little game of golf is also in the works, it seems. We do golf from time to time and although I wanted a drive/eat/read/drink/do nothing holiday, a little golf will snag us en route.

Thanks for the note about Bend. I haven't been there for years, but loved the high grassland drive. Didn't know anything about restaurants there then and am glad I do now.

We had an excellent meal at Bistro last night. We started with the grilled crab cakes over mixed greens and lemon sake butter sauce, then the Greek Lemon soup. Both were excellent. Our entree was the baked wild salmon with lemon and herbs. It was also excellent. For dessert we shared the chocolate ganache cake drizzpled with caramel sauce. The best in Cannon Beach, but we'll be trying the Stephanie Inn soon. I highly recommend Bistro for dinner while in Cannon Beach. :)

We have been enjoying the great pasteries from the Pacific Way Bakery every morning. Wow, that place is great all around. Marionberry sweet rolls, scones, strawberry croissants, it's all great.

We had a nice lunch at the Pirate's Cove down the coast. The views from the dining room are gorgeous. I had the clam chowder, fried oysters and a crab melt. Food is average, but views are really nice here. We also enjoyed a great little appetizer at the Shilo Inn of steamed clams with a glass of Eola Hills Pinot Gris. The views of the ocean are beautiful from the Shilo but the dinners are a bit over-priced and food is mediocre. It is the only restaurant in Seaside with ocean views, tho. Cheers! :)