• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pan-o-Pan

Daddy A,

Where IS the web page?

I couldn't see on a Google attempt.

Snacky Cat, your discriptions were tempting enough

to make me plan a trip there this Saturday, so

thanks for letting me know about a find I had never heard of.

Ann

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

Pan o Pan was reviewed very positively in last week's Qeue (I can never seem to get the spelling correct). Now with further positive Snacky Cate input - it seems like something worthwile to check up on.

I have a feeling that I will be suckling on one of their food cones while I attempt to drive home.

As a neophyte on this website I can't comment on the comments made prior, all I can say is that I have never been to Pan-O-Pan but I know both Marta and Winston, they are good people, which for me is important, further, I have never had gnocchi as good as Marta's, which I have had several times, they are OUTSTANDING. I will try Pan-O-Pan, and look forward to it.

Gerald Tritt,

Co-Owner

Vera's Burger Shack

My Webpage

When I lived in loftville I went to Pan O and I found the whole experience to be quite nice.

Let's face it, nobody goes to a place like Pan O Pan for highly inventive food. We go there because we are either tired, lazy, too busy or worth less than a politicians word in the kitchen.

We want food done well.

Easy.

That said Keith, I agree with everything you said as far as putting in the effort to show respect to the company you keep but that shouldn't mean going broke or spending 2 days in the kitchen preparing things.

slowfood/slowwine

We hopped into the "lazy self-indulgent yuppie" mobile (a silver VW, of course) and left the confines of Yaletown for Round 2 at Pan-o-Pan. (Heh, while we do drive a VW and we do live in Yuppie-ville, neither Mr Cat nor myself are anything close to yuppie. We're just a couple of scruffy indie rockers who have infiltrated Yaletown and are performing reconaissance for a Tokion magazine photo essay on "small dogs and those snobby kids from highschool that hated on you who own them".

Anyway, we didn't feel like to going to Nester's for the ass-tillionth time (we have enough Nester Value Points to rival the GDP of some small island nations), so we went to Pan-o-Pan to try their prêt-a-manger stuff. We picked up two wild salmon cakes ($6.75 each, and they are HUGE!) and some saffron smashed potatos ($3.50 for a tub, which yielded 4 servings).

Both purchases tasted great and were had for a good price. It's basically deluxe homemade food, but you don't have to hand over your firstborn as payment like you do at LilyKate. The salmon cakes were massive and delicious - great flaky consistency (heavy on the beautifully pink salmon, light on the breadcrumbs), with nice flavours, including a hint of lemon zest. The saffron taters were also delicious - with their cute yellow colour and wonderful saffron aroma I have dubbed them Irish bouillabaisse. They'd go beautifully with any fish dish, and Marta also suggested pairing them with the osso bucco. We had some asparagus on the side (the pink, yellow and green made for a cute plate), and were absolutely stuffed.

Now I must go back to my yuppieville reconaissance. I think I'm going to go check out the Mystic Tanned PR chicks dining at Glowbal.

Jenn

"She's not that kind of a girl, Booger!"

That's it.

Next time I'm in a lazy mood it's back to the ol' hood for salmon cakes.

Just wonderin', Snacky, how do you imagine turtle boogers taste?

So nice to have time to post again now that the boy is sleeping through the night.

7 weeks down, a couple O' thousand to go.

Cheers, Steve

slowfood/slowwine

Yes, Marta and Winston are dear, dear people and kudos to them for filling a niche, making people happy, and supplying great hearty passion-filled food to folks who use it for guests or otherwise.

Pan-o-Pan are our friends and neighbours and we're extremely fortunate to have them in the 'hood!

Daddy A,

Where IS the web page?

I couldn't see on a Google attempt.

Pan-o-Pan is run by husband and wife Winston and Marta - she handles the food side, he does the business side, or so says their website.

You ever so humble servant.

A.

Thanks Daddy A

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza