• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Several Reds at a Barbecue

jrufusj

SEVERAL REDS AT A BARBECUE - Bryan and Amy's (5/29/2005)

With a "mixed grill" type barbecue, including whole beef tenderloin, beef ribs, sausages, burgers, asparagus, and portobellos. Various side salads and some red beans and rice to accompany.

• 2001 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley
    Not the estate. Still dark red/purple, solid to rim. Young and vibrant looking. Nose showed cherry and plum fruit, with a little kiss of oak sweetness. Still very primary, without much evolution over a half hour or so. Palate showed enough tannin and acid to allow some development, but was already integrated and drinking pleasantly if you’re looking for young, fruit driven Calicab with reasonable structure. A little one dimensional, tough to get past the strong impression of cherry fruit.
  • 2001 Parker Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon Terra Rossa - Australia, South Australia, Coonawarra
    Not the “First Growth”. Same dark, primary, youthful colors as in the Monty above. Nose showed a more classic cabernet character, with dark and red fruit, a little more apparent oak, and just a little spice. Palate was also broader in fruit characteristics, with cassis, blackberry, and plum. Fruit was fresh and forward enough to drink well now. Some ripe tannins, but very little acid. Not sure I would hold this one. I had the “First Growth” about a week ago and commented that it had the most oak of twelve wines tasted that night, but that the oak was not overwhelming. This showed a similar oak profile, except that the more I drank, the more the oak seemed to overwhelm the fruit. This wine may just be a little “small’ to stand up to the oak and was missing the Coonawarra iron that was so appealing in the First Growth. Don’t know if it will integrate, but I’d be a little anxious waiting too long given the apparently low acidity.
  • 1993 Zenato Amarone della Valpolicella Classico - Italy, Veneto, Valpolicella, Amarone della Valpolicella Classico
    Surprisingly youthful in color, with rich darkish red color and only a very slight softening at the rim. Initial nose was of cherry fruit, sweet berries, and raisins. With a little time, some crushed flowers and a strong note of chicken bullion came out. Finally, with a little more time, some tar and a slightly alcoholic Pernod note dominated. Palate was rich and a little creamy, with big body. Raisined fruit notes, featuring dried cherry and dried plum. No noticeable tannin. Enough acidity that I don’t see this dying overnight, but no reason to hold as it’s drinking so well right now. Alcohol never dominated or intruded. I would pick this up if I saw at a reasonable price.

Posted from CellarTracker!

Jim Jones

London, England

Never teach a pig to sing. It only wastes your time and frustrates the pig.