• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fortunato Ristorante

Rosie

AHA!!!

gallery_13133_2412_892023.jpg

Sweet Potato Soup (Amuse)

gallery_13133_2412_551243.jpg

Haricots verts with frisee, cucumbers and lime vinaigrette

gallery_13133_2412_569942.jpg

Sweet Pumpkin Ravioli

gallery_13133_2412_759429.jpg

Eggplant Tower with Tomato Fondue and Eggplant 'Caviar'

gallery_13133_2412_875061.jpg

Basil and pignoli-crusted Tilapia with Rock Shrimp

gallery_13133_2412_804281.jpg

Braised Short Ribs with Parmagiano Risotto

gallery_13133_2412_747429.jpg

Volcano

gallery_13133_2412_199198.jpg

Mascarpone Cheesecake with Pineapple and Mango

Thanks, Tommy!!! :wub:

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Okay...album is now public, and I'm hoping this first pic works...

Sweet Potato Soup (Amuse)

Dammit!!  Well, the link works, so I'm going to put them all up, but I can't get the photos to show here.  Maybe after a night's sleep.  Or some help from Tommy.  :rolleyes:

Here are the rest of the pics from last night's dinner...

Haricots verts with frisee, cucumbers and lime vinaigrette

Sweet Pumpkin Ravioli

Eggplant Tower (one of my personal favorites...)

Basil and pignoli-crusted Tilapia with Rock Shrimp

Braised Short Ribs with Parmagiano Risotto

Volcano

Mascarpone Cheesecake with Pineapple and Mango

Great pics, Curlz,

So sorry I missed it!

Well, since it's only the 3rd or 4th time using my new (and first) digital camera, I'm gonna just say "Okay, Tommy! I see why." :raz:

Btw, the lighting in there didn't help matters. First few with the flash were waaaay overexposed. And I should give FatCatBrew credit for...the braised short ribs and volcano shots, iirc. :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Well, I'm late getting my 2 cents in , but the dinner at Fortunato was superb. Every course was exceptional, and, like Scarlet Knight I am not much of a tilapia fan, but I ate every bite and mopped up the sauce with the bread. Bread...I'm surprised no one mentioned it, since we discussed it there but for such careful preparation and presentation of terrific ingredients, the bread was not up to par. A supermarket Italian loaf, sliced and the last piece I had was cold. Northern NJ is not lacking for good Italian bakeries...maybe a trip to Calandra's is in order!

But the food....the pumpkin ravioli was my favorite which is saying a lot because I loved everything. There was not a misstep. The wine Chef Anthony chose to pair with the first courses was perfect and those wine glasses that we've heard so much about! I found the service to be attentive and friendly, and the prices to be reasonable for the quality of the meal. I would definitely go back and it was a 45 minute drive for me. Of course the company made the experience even better. Thanks CUrlz for letting us know about this place. Next time we have to go to a place 2 minutes from MY house.

Dana

A supermarket Italian loaf, sliced and the last piece I had was cold.  Northern NJ is not lacking for good Italian bakeries...maybe a trip to Calandra's is in order!

while i agree that there's no excuse for crappy bread, i don't think that bread should be warm. bread should be warm shortly after it comes out of the oven. but i don't think restaurants are baking their own bread (though some do). when bread is warm it means that it was heated up which does nothing to my mind other than accelerate the drying-out/staling process. i can't think of many top restaurants that heat up their bread. thankfully. :smile:

Edited by tommy (log)

A supermarket Italian loaf, sliced and the last piece I had was cold.  Northern NJ is not lacking for good Italian bakeries...maybe a trip to Calandra's is in order!

while i agree that there's no excuse for crappy bread, i don't think that bread should be warm. bread should be warm shortly after it comes out of the oven. but i don't think restaurants are baking their own bread (though some due). when bread is warm it means that it was heated up which does nothing to my mind other than accelerate the drying-out/staling process. i can't think of many top restaurants that heat up their bread. thankfully. :smile:

Agreed, but Fortunato's bread does not live up to the quality of the restaurant. Where do they buy it? at the local Shoprite? It's horrible. I would have thought it would have fixed this since I last dined there in Dec.

Edited by Cook456 (log)

while i agree that there's no excuse for crappy bread, i don't think that bread should be warm. bread should be warm shortly after it comes out of the oven. but i don't think restaurants are baking their own bread (though some do). when bread is warm it means that it was heated up which does nothing to my mind other than accelerate the drying-out/staling process. i can't think of many top restaurants that heat up their bread. thankfully. :smile:

Tommy, that last piece was cold, as in had been refrigerated. Agreed that bread, unless it is fresh-baked, should be room temperature.

Dana

Tommy, that last piece was cold, as in had been refrigerated. Agreed that bread, unless it is fresh-baked, should be room temperature.

Dana

gotcha.

restaurants should get their bread from Sullivan Street or Balthazar. short of that Calandra's. no more messing around. that's what I say. :smile:

seriously though, when i sit down at the Jefferson in hoboken, for example, and they bring a couple slices of bread from sullivan street with some olive oil and salt, i'm just in heaven. at most other restaurants the bread basket just takes up space on my table. to me, great bread is an easy way to make a great impression.

• 2 weeks later...

Saturday was a rather major (okay, milestone) birthday for me, so I made a reservation for dinner at Fortunato. For 17 of us. On a Saturday night. I knew from the outset that this was asking a lot of the restaurant, but they agreed to accommodate us, and I was thrilled to go with my closest crew. As always, service was warm and friendly, but on a Saturday night with an over-booked room, there were minor flaws that I can overlook, and my guests felt the same way. It’s not my fault that the big day landed on a Saturday, after all! :smile: Major kudos to Anthony and the staff for handling what I can imagine was a hellish night in the kitchen, but with nothing but fantastic results on the plate, as usual.

We arrived for our 8pm reservation to find a packed house, with one big table waiting for us. Having finished off a bottle of Moet with a few friends before leaving home, I was surprised to see champagne flutes on the table, but then the lovely reason became apparent…my dad had called and ordered Banfi Rosa Regale for us to start with. He had to be out of town this weekend and was sad to miss the #1’s big day, but he made sure that it started off with bubbles in his absence. :wub:

Then, after a lengthy wait, they started bringing out the appetizers. Anthony and I had discussed this last week—I didn’t know what was coming, just that we wouldn’t go hungry. :laugh: All of apps were served family style, and suffice it to say that we could have moved right to dessert after this…

Eggplant Towers (everyone, without exception, raved about them)

Mussels and Clams with garlic, saffron and white wine

Frisee with fried calamari, red pepper slices and pignoli nuts

Beet salad with herbed goat cheese

Oysters on the half shell (not my thing, but the oyster lovers were raving)

Grilled Shrimp, roasted garlic, tomato, cannellini beans, fresh basil*

*O.M.G.! I have almost ordered this dish on a couple of visits, and now I’m lamenting the times I’ve missed out on it. That will not happen again. :wink:

For entrees, I had fun ‘advising’ everyone of my favorites…we ended up with numerous orders of the Sea Scallops, as well as the double-cut pork chop (stuuuunning), tilapia over rock shrimp, a special of rigatoni with veal sausage, broccoli rabe and garlic, osso bucco, the risotto with rock shrimp and crab (a special), the short ribs, lasagna, chicken, and, and…well, you get the idea.

By the time we hit dessert, about half of the group had to head home to relieve babysitters, so we were reduced in numbers and in eating ability, but we still managed to squeeze in a couple of hazelnut tortes, a volcano, biscotti and cookies, and the only disappointment of the night, the ice box cake. Sadly, they were out of both the warm apple cobbler (a favorite of mine) and all of the sorbets, but we somehow managed to survive!

I have to share a few comments, because these came from people who are normally not effusive about food:

"Those shrimp in the appetizer were the best shrimp I've ever eaten. Anywhere."

"You can just tell that the chef is great, because there were only a few flavors in the food, but they were all perfect together--it's like he knows he doesn't have to show off by being too complicated."

"Now I see why you keep talking about this place. When are we coming back?!?"

You all know by now that there’s a lovefest going on here, but I really do encourage those of you who haven’t made a trip over or closer to that vast Passaic River to do so. You won’t be disappointed!

This is the second time I've had it...it's a tad sweet for me, but it goes down SO easily that I can't complain! :laugh:

Given the option, I think I'd rather drink it as a dessert, but it was still a lovely way to start the meal!

• 2 weeks later...

I forget did they have a site? I was thinking of going back there if they are open

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

They certainly do!

www.fortunatoristorante.com

Eric and I are going there soon to celebrate a belated Valentine's Day. It will be his first visit. :D

Beth you won't be disappointed!

This and SOB (Silver oak bistro) are on the top of my "go to" lists when we go out again to eat as a couple, hubby and I. We only go out once a month so it has to be good. I'm also considering The Chart House - I hope it's good too! So it'll be Fortunato's, SOB & TCH! in some order.

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

Eric and I are going there soon to celebrate a belated Valentine's Day. It will be his first visit. :D

This and SOB (Silver oak bistro) are on the top of my "go to" lists when we go out again to eat as a couple, hubby and I. We only go out once a month so it has to be good. I'm also considering The Chart House - I hope it's good too! So it'll be Fortunato's, SOB & TCH! in some order.

My recollection of the Chart House was that, while the view was great, the food was just mediocre.However, that was years ago, and I have not been back since.

Anyone dine there. lately?

My recollection of the Chart House was that, while the view was great, the food was just mediocre.However, that was years ago, and I have not been back since.

Anyone dine there. lately?

yes, and I agree with the view being wonderful and the food as mediocre. But the view at Vu in Jersey City is great and the food is much better than Chart House!

Lori

Eric and I went to Fortunato on Sunday night for a belated Valentine's day dinner. It did not disappoint.

We started with the Crispy Herb Crusted Eggplant Tower, wild mushrooms, tomato fondue. Yum -- Yum!! Eric had the Fried Italian Long Hot Peppers and potatoes. I only tasted the Potato portion of this dish since I am not a spicy food person like Eric. The potato was great though and Eric ooh'ed and ahh'ed the whole dish.

Then we shared a pasta --Pappardelle with red wine braised beef and sausage. The pappardelle was light and tender but not over cooked. the sauce was wonderfully flavored but you were able to taste the beef and the sausage individually.

For my main course I had -- Pan seared diver Sea Scallops, vanilla whipped sweet potatoes, celeriac, spinach, walnuts with a maple vinegar sauce. The scallops were perfectly cooked. I could have eaten the sweet potatoes all by themselves -- 3 meals a day they were so good. I don't recall seeing walnuts in the dish though --but I can't say I missed them.

Eric had Orvieto braised veal Osso Buco, gratin of Sicilian cardoons and potato, fresh chives. The cardoons and potato gratin was like a big potato pancake on the bottom of the dish absorbing all the yummy sauce. the Osso Buco was falls off the bone tender. I had two bites of it before Eric scarfed it all down.

For dessert we shared Mommy's ice box cake -- graham crackers and chocolate pudding -- what could be bad?

Eric took pictures with my new camera. We are still working out the bugs so I'm not sure if they are share worthy.

• 1 month later...

Hubby and I finally had a night out and were lucky enough to spend it at Fortunato's. Service was excellent, and we enjoyed the food and Saturday night energy. I had focused on the Eggplant Tower after seeing the pictures and descriptions on egullet, and I was not disappointed. Salmon (hubby) and tilapia (me)entrees did not disappoint...

I do not make my living in the food industry, so I am constantly impressed and thankful for the people that are willing to put their financial and creative lives on the line to serve me dinner on the night when I don't do it for myself (and my family). I am appreciative and a happy consumer when that meal is delicious and served to me as if I was a neighbor, but with complete professionalism. I wish them alot of luck, because this area could use an Italian restaurant that is a few steps above the usual red sauce fare.

I'm wondering if the spring menu is in effect yet...nothing on their web site, nor was there any indication of it on their sign when I drove by last week.

HMMM...

I for one would be up to finding out what delicacies they have if anyone else is willing to... once they have a new spring menu or a tasting menu to try!

• 1 month later...
Congratulations to Chef Anthony Lo Pinto on the "VERY GOOD" he received from restaurant reviewer David Corcoran in the New York Times May 21, 2006.

Interesting reporting by David Corcoran. Where exactly are the "factories" in Lyndhurst?

LYNDHURST -- IF you are not hungry now, let me suggest a visit to www.fortunatoristorante.com , the Web site of Jeff Fortunato's homey and winning restaurant in this factory town between the Meadowlands and the Passaic River.