• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Tentations' & 'Sensations Nutella'

tan319

Wondering if anyone has seen or owns this book.

Amazon France has a deal on it with Gerard Mulots book.

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/2501...4365179-1509865

Although I expect that there's as many savory recipes ( not a bad thing) in 'Tentations' as sweet, I love this guy and might just have to break down and order it.

Talk to me!

Thanks!!!

2317/5000

Well - it is a really gorgeous book - very large format paper bound 16 tall x 11 wide. gorgeous photos, all in french (naturally)

finger attitude

starters

a table

exception

la cuisine de mes potes

sweet snacking

total regression sweet

basics

index

I haven't made anything from it so far though

we got it from Amazon.fr a few months ago, Ted, with Chronopost expedited shipping it arrived in 3 days and I think paid 38 euros total. It's not in the manner of the big Thuries magazine spread or the Food Arts features on Philippe--those to date are the best collections of Conticini recipes, inventiveness and presentation available to the working pastry chef--this book is similar to the Herme "Plaisirs sucres" in scope--more basic, more straightforward for the pro or home cook, with simpler recipes and presentations, no in process shots, nothing like an Adria or Ducasse book, etc. Anything by Philippe is worthwhile for the US pro, just realize 'Tentations' is purposely a little stripped down. If Philippe were a musician this would be his "unplugged" album.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

I haven't made anything from it so far though

Thanks for posting about this,chefette and artisanbaker, I really appreciate it.

chefette,

Re: not making anything from it.

Is it because the food (sweet) doesn't hit it for you or because his recipes are pretty involved?

As in 8 different components, that type of thing?

After I got that Thuries mag with that article on him, I would find myself picking thru recipes, trying out things that I found pertinent to things I was doing or just dying to try, like some of his tuile recipes, for instance.

I'm just looking to wake up my "mojo", so to speak, for one thing

:biggrin:

2317/5000

Opps, I missed your post, Steve, thanks for it.

This sounds even better now, as I would love to have that Hermes 'Plasirs Sucre' book.

And you have to love that Chronopost shipping!!!

When I got the Ducasse 'Spoon' book, I flipped when that thing got here in 3 or 4 days, it was faster then Amazon here.

Do you guys have the Mulot book too?

2317/5000

More a question of opportunity I guess. Also, since I don't read french and puzzle out the instructions which are not always what you wpuld anticipate

here are some that look tempting off the bat

petit pots de creme: vanilla/fraise/basilic, citron/orange/corriandre, orange/mangye/estragon

I went to the troublr to translate it and it is pretty interesting

you do the three 'compotes'

then the creme which you divide and flavor

assemble and bake - creme is atop the compote - serve as a trio in small glasses

cocajou -

coke gelee, grapefruit

vanilla powder, cinnamon, lemon juice, whiskey

coconut emulsion

toated bretton shortcrust

confit apples with calvados gelee and a crumble

raspberry and rhubarb, jus espais a la coco

white chocolate gelee, raspberry and basil

chocolat moelleux, caranel and sea salt

cappucino caramel, sucettes glaces au tiramisu

there are picture that you want to just eat up but i am not exactly sure what the recipes are for

could be drinks or puddings/gelees

croquettes au chocolat

friatines au chocolat

not at all sure exactly what this is but it looks tasty

hamburger d'agrumes en gelee, riz au lait a l'infusion de menthe d'angelo musa

porc au caramel et riz saute a/ l'ananas of his wife anne-lise menu

It all seems kind of Jose Andres mini bar and the savory items are even more enticing than the sweets - although I think that Philippe has always been a visionary in sort of moving more toward lack of clear definition between savory and sweet - that there are elements of both throughout and that technique overlaps. Philippe just does it in a very subtle way.

I think you would probably like this book, most of the preparations actually are much more direct and shorter than lots of the complex books. Making something just hasn't happened yet but perhaps I shall prepare something this weekend since I have a little time.

This sounds awesome, thanks for writing more about it.

It's going to be purchased soon, I think it's exactly what I'm looking for.

Plus, the Mulot book being cheap as an add on is an incentive.

Those "crumbles" are fun to use.

Also, I'm wondering if you had a scanner, could you scan a page from the book then throw it into Sherlock (if you have a 'mac) and translate it?

For understanding a bi more about French ingredients, the Ducasse/Roberts 'Grand Livre ' desserts book helped me a lot thru it's extensive glossary of ingredients and such.

I had the opportunity to "live" with the book for around 3 months. I'm trying to hold out for an English translation of it, as it's (along with the Paco Torreblancas book) probably the most expensive book I've ever wanted at about 225.00 bucks!

The Conticini book will fill in nicely.

Hope you get to make some stuff this weekend, the 'cocajou' and the pot de creme's get my vote

:biggrin:

2317/5000

• 2 weeks later...
He actually has a brand new book out - Sensations Nutella! I saw it at the temporary Nutella restaurant - La Table Nutella - where I also had one of his eggs.

here's a link to the new Conticini book, 'Sensations Nutella' (which FNAC' search engine has listed as 'Obsessions Nutella').

Thanks to LKL Chu for the heads up!!!

Nice pic on the cover :smile:http

2317/5000

• 9 months later...
He actually has a brand new book out - Sensations Nutella! I saw it at the temporary Nutella restaurant - La Table Nutella - where I also had one of his eggs.

here's a link to the new Conticini book, 'Sensations Nutella' (which FNAC' search engine has listed as 'Obsessions Nutella').

Thanks to LKL Chu for the heads up!!!

Nice pic on the cover :smile:http

Well, I finally got this HAPPENING book!!!

A very nice rep in the Netherlands sent it to me, as it seems to go in & out of print ( from what I can understand in French at Amazon.fr, etc.)

Many nice recipes, cool mix of store bought items like cookies, garnishes, and of course, Nutella, and recipes for preparations!

I'm a happy guy.

Just got it today, will post more soon.

Maybe it will publish in English soon :biggrin:

2317/5000

Here's where I get in trouble with my understanding or comprehension of French.

In 'Sensations Nutella', there's a recipe, there's a chocolae souffle cake served with a green apple juice side shot.

For the apple juice it says to "passez les pommes a la centrifugeuse"...

Are we talking about a juicer or a centrifuge?

Very interesting stuff, especially for a book that is made for the general public.

More later!

2317/5000

In 'Sensations Nutella', there's a recipe, there's a chocolae souffle cake served with a green apple juice side shot.

Very interesting stuff,  especially for a book that is made for the general public.

More later!

les deux... Try Centrifugeuse

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Very interesting stuff,  especially for a book that is made for the general public.

More later!

les deux... Try Centrifugeuse

Ahhh, a juicer!!!

The recipe doesn't call for any citric acid or lemon juice to keep the color, just to rest the juice and "decant" it, leaving any sediment behind, you want a very clear ( as in the pic) juice.

Nice one, thanks for clearing that up!

2317/5000

• 2 weeks later...
There are several Nutella recipes in Tentations

If chefette or Steve Klc is out there, and you have seen the 'Sensations Nutella' book, I'm wondering if you've seen the 'mikanuts' recipe?

Their comprised of flour, butter, 10X sugar, almond powder and an egg.

Even though the proportion of ingredients is different it reminds me of a crumble or a pate sucree.

Conticini rolls "sticks" out of them, about 10 centimeters long, about 3 or 4 mm in diameter and bakes for about 3 minutes.

The mikanuts are featured as a garnish for mousses, etc. and are the main-ish component in a Nutella dipping dessert.

He uses them kind of like 'Poki' too.

Nice stuff.

2317/5000