• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seafood Pasta

peppyre

I really want to do a light seafood pasta tonight for dinner. It's about 30 degrees here and that's about as much as I can tackle in this heat. (Is there a melting smiley) I'm in the process of making a small batch of lobster stock for the sauce, but what on earth should I do with the squid? I would like to just toss everything together almost like a pasta salad. Anyone have any ideas? I have a very well stocked pantry, so I can add just about anything. My brain must be melting in the heat, I can't come up with anymore ideas. :huh:

I really want to do a light seafood pasta tonight for dinner.  It's about 30 degrees here and that's about as much as I can tackle in this heat.  (Is there a melting smiley)  I'm in the process of making a small batch of lobster stock for the sauce,  but what on earth should I do with the squid?  I would like to just toss everything together almost like a pasta salad.  Anyone have any ideas?  I have a very well stocked pantry, so I can add just about anything.  My brain must be melting in the heat, I can't come up with anymore ideas.  :huh:

The weather is awful, isn't it?!

If you can bear to crank a saute pan up to high. slice your squid into strips, dry marinade of salt, garlic and fresh red chili, well minced/ground into a paste, for an hour, and give them the quickest flash with some evoo in your pan; presto! Although the thought of chili doesn't appeal so much in this weather, I find it has a cooling contrast gustatorily. Moisten your pasta with the reduced, creamed stock, throw on your squid, and finish with some cilantro sprigs. Clean tastes, and lots of pairings available for a refreshing white wine.

John

"Venite omnes qui stomacho laboratis et ego restaurabo vos"

Thanks John. I actually decided to lightly marinade them in some garlic, evoo, port vinegar, lemon juice and chili flakes. I will have to get a frying pan going, I'll just have to live with melting while cooking. I'll report back with the final creation.

30 degrees? Oh man that's cold! I guess Vancouver really is up there...

My favorite squid thing is much the same as John's. Heat cast iron over a high flame for a long time, then season sliced squid with salt and pepper, chili flakes, garlic, and minced parsley. Peanut oil in the pan, and it should start smoking almost immediately, then slide in the squid, shake, stir, toss, juice of a lemon, a dash of white wine. Throw in some cooked pasta, toss again, plate, and top with some bread crumbs. The whole cooking process should take less than a minute, with everything ready to add to the pan ahead of time, but remove the batteries from the smoke detector firstly, as that can interupt.

If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?