• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What one food makes your toes curl?

A nice, juicy pear. Preferably straight from the farmer's market. It has to be so juicy that the juice dribbles down my chin if I don't have a napkin there to catch it... mmm.

Misa

Sweet Misa

A perfectly aged, perfectly roasted rib roast. Like this one.

ribroastA31MAR05.jpg

And a still steaming but crisp croissant.  Sorry no picture of that  :raz:

typing with one hand is hard... :laugh:

I'm with fifi on this one... a beautiful steak cooked to medium rare perfection gets me every time. Fresh from the garden tomatoes too.

A perfectly ripe, juicy mango

oooh, yes

Also: gooseberry crumble, fresh-picked raspberries, good blue cheese (especially Stilton & St Agur), and toasted almonds

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

PS - Bergerka, re your photo, are you a fan of Maureen Dowd,

or ARE you Maureen Dowd??

:blink: :blink: :unsure::blink:

um...neither, unless Maureen Dowd sings Lucia di Lammermoor.

:laugh:

And just to keep this on topic, creamed spinach made my mouth so happy last night that I had do get up and do a little happy dance. No, I'm not kidding.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

- Griesbrei.

I know some German but don't think I've had this.

My best guess is a farina (Cream of Wheat) pudding?

Is this close?

Do you have a recipe that you like to make?

Thanks,

ludja

The German Griesbrei is for me a children breakfast and goes like this:

1 cup semolina to be lightly dry colored (roasted) in a pan.

Lift from pan and add to pot with 2 cups milk (full cream) and sugar to taste. Stir constantly.

Lift when paste consistency running from spoon similar to honey stickiness. You can add milk for more fluidity or boil more for less fluidity.

Brown a BIG knob of unsalted butter in pan almost to burn point and dress on top of Griesbrei.

Sprinkle tons of Cinnamon and dig in with fresh cut bread.

I like to be mean and add Ricotta.

If you drop the milk and replace with water it becomes a Syrian dish called Mamouniah. In which case you brown the butter with pistachios and add the equivalent of clotted cream on top and watch the butter and clotted cream ooze and cascade around the mound. Cinnamon again is a must.

Both recipes are part of a controlled extra slimming diet as you can hardly eat anything else during the course of the day. LoL

Hands down it would have to be my friend's mother's cheesecake. I have searched high and low for a cheesecake that compared to this one, and have yet to find it. It is made with a crust of crushed Lorna Dune cookies and 4 sticks of butter....and then an additional 5 sticks in the cake itself. Heart attack on a plate, but I swear I would gladly substitute sex for one bite of this decadent treat. I'm getting warm just THINKING about it! :wub:

"No matter where ya go, there ya are....and there ya go!"

Both recipes are part of a controlled extra slimming diet as you can hardly eat anything else during the course of the day. LoL

:laugh: Thanks for the recipes and description Almass, all interesting twists for me--browned butter, ricotta, pistachios... sounds good.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Any fresh vegetables straight from the garden, but my favourites are fresh tomatoes and asparagus. Also any fresh fruit, especially strawberries eaten warm right of the plant.

Good cheese is the staff of life itself.

A good bar of dark chocolate with just the right snap and texture is divine.

All of the above with a good glass of wine would be the perfect meal. I'd probably throw in a few olives to round it out.

Now I'm very hungry.

I don't mind the rat race, but I'd like more cheese.

It's funny how many Northwesterners/BC'ers have mentioned fresh berries just plucked off the vine...and I agree. Standing out in the sun, surrounded by buckets of fragrant ruby berries, eyes closed, popping "just one more" into your mouth... :wub:

*ahem*

Also, for me...

September: Fresh black mission figs wrapped in prosciutto, grilled and drizzled with aged balsamic vinegar

July: Peaches. Or as they're sold in the Pike Place Market "Oh My God Peaches"

January: A creamy bleu cheese and glass of red wine

August: Corn 5 minutes off the cob, barely warmed in boiling salted water

Anytime: the crispy bits from a garlic/rosemary roasted leg of lamb.

Anytime: Midwestern deep chocolate fudge cake with warm fudge sauce and premium vanilla ice cream

Whenever I'm in town: a dozen raw clams and a scallop or mixed pan roast at the Grand central Oyster bar.

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

GOOD Peking Duck....with perfectly crispy skin. And as wonderful as that is, it's equally disappointing when it's not GOOD Peking Duck. and man, i've had some not good versions recently.

also, the perfect margarita. Not a food, but that'll make me do the happy dance.

Tonight has been a very good food night. Very good indeed. Dinner tonight was pasta with Gorgonzola mushroom cream sauce.....oooohhhhh......The first taste was pure heaven.

For dessert...my first fresh cherry of the season. I had shivers when I bit into it. I wish all nights were this good.

Utah Giant cherries, hands down. They are truly sensational, but I'm traumatized because this year's crop is poor. They didn't grow to their full size and they were damaged by the excessive rain here in California. Still, I can't stop eating them, the first bite of the season has never ceased to be a revelation in flavor for me. Cherries are the greatest fruit on the face of the earth!! :wub:

Figs

Hot fresh bread spread thickly with salted butter.

Halloumopites: a dough that is made with egg rolled out very thin and filled with grated halloumi cheese mixed together with a bit of beaten egg to hold it together, chopped mint and some pepper. They are then popped into hot oil and fried until they puff up and are unbelievably light, crinkly and crispy. I could live on these for the rest of my life.

Perfectly salted homegrown tomatoes (these are truly heirloom tomatoes, the seeds are planted every year from the last year's crop and they go back at least four generations in my family) cut into wedges. I also like to sink my teeth into them and suck out the the juicy, slippery, seedy interiour, just like a vampire. It's like nectar and they are as fragrant as strawberries. And they're almost here...

A quality hot dog.

Others: green olives right out of the jar, General Tso's chicken, corn on the cob, bratwurst, White Rose bacon cheeseburgers, steak.

John the hot dog guy

A ripe, juicy Bowen mango - the flesh is tender and sweet, and with a little fresh lime squeezed over it........oh!

I like to eat them in a bikini, on the beach, so it doesn't matter if the juice runs down my arms and all over me!

:wink:

Forget the house, forget the children. I want custody of the red and access to the port once a month.

KEVIN CHILDS.

Doesn't play well with others.

A ripe, juicy Bowen mango - the flesh is tender and sweet, and with a little fresh lime squeezed over it........oh!

I like to eat them in a bikini, on the beach, so it doesn't matter if the juice runs down my arms and all over me!

:wink:

Ditto about the mango! But, naked in the bathtub for me.

There's also tomatoes right off the vine and peaches from Colorado's western slope.

Whew. It's getting hot in here.