• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What one food makes your toes curl?

A perfectly aged, perfectly roasted rib roast. Like this one.

ribroastA31MAR05.jpg

That rib roast photograph makes the earth move for me, Ellen! And the poodle in your avatar looks as if it is doing much the same for him/her! :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

A freshly baked loaf of bread spread with some amazing salted butter.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

- fresh, homemade bread

- home-baked chocolate chip cookies

- rack of lamb

- risotto

- cucumbers

Those have to be my top five.

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

My freshly baked bread with butter. Anybody's apple pie. Rare steak with demi-glace and mushrooms.

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Chocolate. Dark, balanced chocolate, the kind you breathe in deeply before partaking, the kind that you nibble and let melt on your tongue, letting the cocoa flavor slowly fill your mouth. If you want to gild the lily, nibble some of the chocolate and take a sip of hot, rich coffee, letting the heat of the coffee turn the chocolate to liquid and release the layers of flavor.

I have told my doctor that if it's ever a choice of having to give up chocolate or die, well, it's been a nice life.

Marcia.

Don't forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted...he lived happily ever after. -- Willy Wonka

eGullet foodblog

Oh, yes, avacados.

And moo shoo.

And General Tso's Chicken!

Really good fried oysters. (I know, I know).

Fresh biscuits with butter and honey.

Eel sushi.

Duck confit.

Fettucine alfredo.

Grilled salmon, with a sweet glaze...

Homemade peach ice cream.

Mussels au gratin.

And perfect barbecue.

:wub:

Edited by afn33282 (log)
Frau Farbissma: "It's a television commercial! With this cartoon leprechaun! And all of these children are trying to chase him...Hey leprechaun! Leprechaun! We want to get your lucky charms! Haha! Oh, and there's all these little tiny bits of marshmallow just stuck right in the cereal so that when the kids eat them, they think, 'Oh this is candy! I'm having fun!'"

Can one have a culinary orgasm?

Oh most definitely.

That might explain my weight problem. :laugh:

Have I mentioned that I spend a good hour six days a week praying to the gods of Pilates and the stairmaster? Except, that is, for this past winter, when I discovered that if I do nothing but eat, drink and sit on my ass for six months, I um...gain ten pounds. This didn't happen in college! :angry::angry:

I would just like to add that the ricotta gnocchi Sam made tonight, sitting as they were under short ribs and over sauce and interspersed with pearl onions, sent me right over the edge again. There's just something about the rich lightness of ricotta gnocchi with slow-cooked beef.

K

edited because I screwed up my own goddamned initial. This is what happens when I have a cocktail before dinner, wine WITH dinner, and food of the gods, to boot.

Edited AGAIN because oh, oh, oh, I just read the post above mine...oh, lord, raw Kumamoto oysters with cucumber/black pepper granita. OHHHH man.

and there is just nothing to equal a fabulous pulled-pork sandwich that has been smoked for HOURS.

Ok, I need to stop this now.

Edited by bergerka (log)

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

The predictable answer: perfectly seared foie gras, melting on my tongue. My eyes roll back in my head and I have been known to (gently) dance in my seat.

Or mi cuit foie gras, straight from the producer in the Dordogne. (Swoon....)

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

-the crispy/soft and fatty meat on the prime rib, right by the bone :wub:

-flourless chocolate cakes, made with an excellent bittersweet chocolate

-smoky pulled pork, slathered with bbq sauce

-warm and buttery croissants that flake and leave crumbs all over your lips

-creamy truffles gently spiced with cinnamon and rolled in cocoa

-hot sourdough bread with sweet butter

-chantrelles, porcini, and morels in a creamy risotto, topped with shaved truffle and drizzled with truffle oil

-Vacherin and stilton

The middle slice of a warm fresh baked bread loaf (or fresh, hot, Montreal bagel) with Kraft crunchy peanut butter, salted butter and a slice of strong cheese. With a cold glass of milk.

mmmm.... that gets me everytime.

Close seconds:

Expensive dark chocolate

BBQ chicken that has been long marinated and has that crispy skin on top

Sliced warm garden tomato with a little fleur du sel and a great bottle of wine

the best part about mouthgasms for me is that I'm ready for another in less than 5 minutes...heehee...

a ripe blue that makes me salivate for 15 minutes after eating it...

fresh apricots stuffed with marscapone that has honey and freshly ground nutmeg added to it - with a glass of prosecco ...

crispy salted duck and/or chicken skin that seems almost brittle ...

a glass of 1988 pol roger cuvee sir winston churchill... served to me by my husband

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Way, way too many to list, but I guess lobster drenched

in sweet butter and garlic would be tops.

And I lately described Neil's gingerbread pudding as an

oral orgasm, so I guess that counts.

So much food, so little time....

PS - Bergerka, re your photo, are you a fan of Maureen Dowd,

or ARE you Maureen Dowd??

foie gras with black truffles

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

A perfectly ripe, juicy mango

Tres leches cake

My grandma's fried catfish

A crawfish and shrimp boil with corn, sausage and potatoes

Extremely fresh sushi

(woe is me...I live far from the ocean, and far from Grandma!)

There is no sincerer love than the love of food. -- George Bernard Shaw

- Griesbrei.

I know some German but don't think I've had this.

My best guess is a farina (Cream of Wheat) pudding?

Is this close?

Do you have a recipe that you like to make?

Thanks,

ludja

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

The pastries in Little Havana filled with guava and cream cheese along with coffe cubano. Give me that and I'm a happy camper.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo

It, depending on season, is either bacon (or another smoked fatty pork product) or sweet corn.

Ah, sweet corn. 'Tis but a couple of months from being here. I salivate.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"