• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What one food makes your toes curl?

Not sure that the title will be explanatory enough but what is the one food that you can never get enough of and must have? :rolleyes: I know that the title may be problematic (although medically correct), but I am so tired of the overused, tired, word "favorite" ... :hmmm:

For me? Anything made with real butter in the pastry ... and/or anything shrimpish ...

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Great coffee does it every time.

As does (surprisingly) toast with cinnamon sugar on melted butter.

Rhubarb upside-down cake.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

One example for me:

A freshly fried cannoli -- filled with sheep ricotta lightly sweetened and roasted pistachios sprinkled on the ends.

(just had a great one a week ago, so I remember how I felt... :smile: )

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Sensual:

Rissotto with porcini, smokey babaganoush, turron blando

Sensual but unfortunately expensive:

Truffles, oscietra caviar, foie gras

Moreish:

Shabu shabu, sushi/sashimi, pimientos de padronnes, steamed lobster and clams, soupe de poisson with rouille, Lancashire hotpot, perfectly barbequed rib eye steak, cheese fondue, hot scones straight from the oven with salted butter, Chaumes... I'd better stop!

Edit: sorry, just noticed you asked for one food... the rissotto with porciini wins

Edited by Corinna Dunne (log)

Edit: sorry, just noticed you asked for one food... the rissotto with porciini wins

There is most assuredly no penalty, Corinna, for enthusiasm for many types of intense food desires! :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Cheesecake. Any kind. Dense, light, or something in between. It really doesn't matter to me. Mmmmm cheesecake.

If it's served with a great cup of strong coffee, all the better.

The cold creamy cheesecake, the hot strong coffee........

Excuse me, I have to go take a cold shower.

:biggrin:

Many different foods strike me as "almost as good as sex" but only one that might be even better - raw oysters!!!!! Add to the raw oysters a few lemon halves and a good bottle of Chablis and, at least for me "God's in her heaven and all's well on earth"!!!

I'm surprised that no one's yet mentioned chocolate... really, really good chocolate.

I was just gonna say that! It was the first thing that came to my head when I read the original post... however, I'm going to say dulce de leche. I just can't live without it.

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

OK . . . I will play. While many of the dishes mentioned above catch my attention, nothing, I mean NOTHING surpasses a good steak with a crispy brown crust and a decidedly pink and juicy insides. No, not dark red and raw insides but pink and juicy.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The predictable answer: perfectly seared foie gras, melting on my tongue. My eyes roll back in my head and I have been known to (gently) dance in my seat.

Less-predictably (and aside from sweets, many of which elicit a toe-curl and potentially blush-making moan) I must say that a juicy kosher hot dog from a street vendor in NYC or Philadelphia, with the fried onions that have been simmering away forever, is high on my list of delectable items. Maybe the fact that I'm on the west coast now and seldom get to eat one has increased their desirability in my mind.

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

crap, I have to choose just ONE?

Ok, fine.

A sandwich made from heirloom tomatoes and homemade mayo - just a little bit - on warm toasted sourdough bread from the Silver Moon Bakery.

O.M.G.

MOUTHGASM.

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

If I had to say just one food it would be a perfect avocado. But, even better is a sandwich with avocado, still warm from the garden tomato, salt and pepper on toasted sourdough. OMG! :rolleyes:

Edited by goldie (log)

One example for me:

A freshly fried cannoli -- filled with sheep ricotta lightly sweetened and roasted pistachios sprinkled on the ends.

(just had a great one a week ago, so I remember how I felt... :smile: )

This is right up there. I had one like this on Thursday at Rocco's Calamari in Brooklyn. It was simply the best cannolo I've had in a long, long time and it is not that I haven't had good cannoli. The rest of the meal was mediocre, but that cannolo! :wub:

Otherwise, good dark chocolate does it for me on a reliable basis.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

crap, I have to choose just ONE?

Actually, bergerka, multiple is occasionally even better than one ... or so they say ... :rolleyes:

And as I discovered on my first visit to Babbo, sometimes one can have multiple mouthgasms in the same meal...the mint love letters, then the sweetbreads, and whatever wines the sommelier chose did it for me... :wub::wub::wub:

wow, I'm getting flushed and breathless just remembering. :laugh:

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

If I had to say just one food it would be a perfect avocado.  But, even better is a sandwich with avocado, still warm from the garden tomato, salt and pepper on toasted sourdough. OMG! :rolleyes:

Like a great orgasm, a perfect avocado can be hard to find. :wink:

V

A perfectly aged, perfectly roasted rib roast. Like this one.

ribroastA31MAR05.jpg

And a still steaming but crisp croissant. Sorry no picture of that :raz:

Believe me, I tied my shoes once, and it was an overrated experience - King Jaffe Joffer, ruler of Zamunda