• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Morels in Central Canada

My success in finding fresh morels northeast of Toronto is limited. This year I haven't found any. In past years I have found them on roadsides, under maple or oak trees, in a garden on College St., and in an abandoned gravel pit. They don't usually come up in the same place, next year.

Without giving away secret spots, has anyone found good, dependable supplies? Are there any good ways to look for new spots? If you happen to find a lot, what can you do with them? Freeze? Freeze dry? Sell to a chef?

Any tips for where to look for them wild (i.e. do they like shade? damp?)? I'd never thought of hunting some down before.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

I'm no expert, as I find them once in awhile, and not every year, in out of the way places, or roadsides, in May, or early June. They can be found if you keep your eyes to the ground, even in unexpected areas. Our recent dry period means that most will be above ground and mature now. They would tend to grow after the rainy period a few weeks ago.

They are safe to pick, as no poisonous shroom has the same appearance or gill print.

There is a bitter tasting but not poisonous variety called 'False Morel' which looks like a sponge inside out. I've never seen one, or met anyone who has knowledge of it, but they are usually described in the literature on morels.

There's a useful website, introduced to me by an American friend, called www.mushroomexpert.com that will help you with morel identification. I recall that false morels can be quite nasty. Some of the mnemonic devices for distinguishing the two are amusing. Such as "If it's wavy, don't make gravy" referring to the pattern on the morel caps.

Looking at my Peterson field guide, some species are poisonous (but not necessarily deadly) to some people. Depending on quantity consumed and the individual's tolerance. Some morels are toxic if consumed with alchohol. Happy hunting -- best to go with an old "babushka" who knows her stuff.

I've hiked the Bruce Trail near Caledon, and also near Beamsville -- have yet to see morels, but I think it was too dry when I was out recently.

Bought some beauties at a high end grocer near home and had some great scrambled eggs. Left a few very large caps for later....a couple of days I looked in the paper bag, and they were crawling with worms. Back to shitake's I guess....

In total this season I have found, probably, a dozen morels. VERY disappointing. I live near Peterborough, Ontario - so in the general area you mention. I think it's a combination of the extended cold weather and, now that it's warm enough it's too dry. But truth be told, I've never found a whole lot of them. Just enough to make a nice morel pasta or risotto. At them moment I have about 6 small ones in the fridge waiting for me to do something to them. Mustn't be hasty about these things.

I'm planning on checking out a few of my spots tomorrow morning.

Conditions have not been favourable this spring as I've found the

soil very dry. Spring has also been late.

I'll post if I have any luck.

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

Well I did get out and spent about 3 hours foraging in spots I

know produce morels and it was a big disappointment.

I dug up some of the spots and the soil is powder dry. What we

need is 3-4 days of solid rain then back to this warm sunny

weather. If we get rain over the weekend I'll try again next

week.

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

I think the season is over, except in the north. It has been very dry for the last month, in most parts of southern Ont. The mycelia of the morels will stay underground all year, and send up shoots next spring if the conditions are good. They won't come up in the fall, when it is cool and wet, but the organism will prepare for next spring. On another morel forum in eg, further south, someone mentioned that the morels will shoot up when the oak leaves are half open.

Edited by jayt90 (log)

Here in WPG, we hunt for porchini and chantrelles,in the Sandy Land area.

I have heard that you can get morels where birch grow.............havn't checked it out though,sorry. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I heard a news report this morning on CBC 1 that there is a bumper crop of morels being harvested now in the Yukon, on a vast site where a forest fire occurred last year. They are getting 5000 lb. per day but could get up to 20,000 if they had pickers. The pickers get $5-6./lb, but this will probably go higher. The dried morels get $30./100g in Europe, but I'm sure some will come to Ont.

Here is what I've learned about gathering morels, on eg:

The first reports come from southern U.S. in Feb. or March.

Pickers with special known spots tend to keep the site quiet, like a fishing hole, or a little known bistro.

One e gulleter says they will appear at the same time as new Oak leaves are walnut sized. That would be mid April to mid May in Ontario.

I have been encouraged to look in gravel pits, abandoned quarries, under oak, maple or birch trees, or on roadsides.

Since May was completely dry in most of Southern Ontario, very few morels poked up, but they will be back, since there is a root network (mycelium) underground.

If I find any burnt out fields or abandoned buildings this year, I'll make note of the locations for next spring.

hi everyone:

i know that you are morel lovers,so i like you very much,i am a wild mushroom lover also.but i am a chinese, i live in yunnan china.there are so many morel and other wild mushroom here,they are very cheap,and good quality for it is very easy to find.i very want to exchange with you about it.