• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ryland Inn- lunch

BeaChambers

JOhn and I had lunch at the Ryland Inn, Rt. 22W, Whitehouse yesterday. The lunch was perfection from start to finish. We both started with la soupe de poisson. That was as good as anything we have had in France and better than any fish soup we have had in either NJ or NY. Next, JOhn had grilled seabass and I had chicken breast. John's fish was served on top of litle sauteed potatoes, carrots, white asparagus. My chicken was in a delicate cream sauce, with green asparagus and mashed potatoes, served in a separate dish. Those potatoes were mashed in equal parts of cream and butter and they were heavenly. For dessert, John had homemade mango sorbet and I had hommade vanilla ice cream. Neither dessert was too sweet which was so nice. So often, desserts only taste of sugar. Both the ice cream and shorbet were served in little cookie molds. The coffee and tea went along with the rest of the lunch in quality. Same for the breads. Perfection. And the place is also pretty, service was excellent. I don't want to go back too soon...I want to savor the memory.

Bea---NJ

I found their lunch there to be way too expensive -- $95 per person for those drinking iced tea.  However,  they had a buffet two years ago, but not last year, and they charged $15 per person for a glorious outdoor feast.  Maybe they will bring it back this coming summer, and they will raise the price to something reasonable, to like, $40.  I love the place, but I have certainly felt my wallet snore when I paid for 4 folks, at lunch, drinking iced tea, and it was $500.