• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ping Pong

btw have you been to golden palace in harrow ?

its very good if you haven't

so can i assume that if i (or anyone else) have/has been, then it isn't very good?

yeah but!

no but!

yeah but!

Edited by origamicrane (log)

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

My own understanding is that egullet is a site where a person of any race or culture with a serious interest in food can discuss or comment on any cuisine from any culture. Just because one is from a certain culture does not make them the authority on the cuisine from that culture and make them a novice on the cuisine from any other culture.

Saying ''but are you really going to argue with a chinaman about chinese food?'' sounds arrogant and seems unsiuted to these discussions.

I have been to Ping Pong and considering the price we found the venue and service and staff and espacially the food to be quite excellent. It is aiming at a different market to Yauatcha. We had fifteen separate dishes and they were all good. I know that the food is prepared off-site in Woolwich and then frozen in order to reduce the costs, but there was no evidence of re-cooking.

My own understanding is that egullet is a site where a person of any race or culture with a serious interest in food can discuss or comment on any cuisine from any culture. 

you are right and i did.

Saying ''but are you really going to argue with a chinaman about chinese food?'' sounds arrogant and seems unsiuted to these discussions.

ok your starter for 10.

Under what circumstance can one be considered an authority of dim sum?

in fact what qualifies any restaurant reviewer to make any comment about any restaurant?

Do you really want me to qualify myself?

as if i did then it really would look like i am being arrogant.

Can i make it clear for once and for all

i was not being arrogant!!!!!

i was being sarcastic/humourous!!!!!

If my unique sense of humour is not to everyone taste

then as they say you can't please all the lumberjacks all the time.

:rolleyes:

guys give me a break !!!!!!

this is starting to feel like a visit to the dentist!!!!

say arrrggghhh!!!!! :blink:

its only a restaurant review !!!

:wub: means i love you!!

:angry: means i hate you so much right now!!

:raz::smile::wink::smile: means that its meant to be humours!!!!!

when the recipe say take with a big pinch of MSG, please do!!!!!

If your doctor says you got a case of "funny walk" you are allowed to get a second opinion.!!!!!!!

my review is only an opinion!!!!!!!!!!!

You liked it.

I didn't.

I hate cheese.

I like McD fillet-o-fish

I hate bettroot.

I like traffic lights but only when they're green!!!!

lighten up don't take everything so seriously !!!!

its only food!!!!!

If you really want to complain about someone being arrogant write to Michael " calm down its only a commercial" Winner!!!!

can we please have this sub thread dead as a parrot!!! as dead as an EX-PARROT!!!!

and now for something completely different!!!

hopefully!!!!!!

or i will have to get out my holy hand grenade!!!

spamety spam!!!

spam! spam! spam!!! spam!!!

i am spam,

spam i am,

i do not like green eggs and spam!!!

i do not like them spam i am!!!

calm down its only a restuarant review!!!

Edited by origamicrane (log)

i know, i know, i wouldn't let it lie, BUT your sense of humour is certainly not unique (or were you being sarcastic then too? that's the problem with sarcasm, and that's why any writer worth reading doesn't use it,same goes for the emoticons, let your words do the talking, not sequences of ascii characters)

here endeth the post

so can i assume that if i (or anyone else) have/has been, then it isn't very good?

Fisherman,

have you got a past with this poster, or are you trying to manufacture one now for future use? :hmmm:

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

<snip>Just because one is from a certain culture does not make them the authority on the cuisine from that culture.... Saying ''but are you really going to argue with a chinaman about chinese food?'' sounds arrogant and seems unsiuted to these discussions.

You're joking, right? :hmmm:

Take care Fisherman doesn't censure you for sarcasm.

Thanks, Ori, for your early and thorough review of Ping Pong.

They should give you the Guardian job, even if only for a week.

Fisherman,

have you got a past with this poster, or are you trying to manufacture one now for future use? :hmmm:

a past of slight piss taking, if origami isn't going to take offence can i suggest you folow his lead?

i think origami writes in a very interesting and entertaining way, if he loses the sarcasm and reliance on emoticons, he can be a much better writer

Mandarin Palace in Gant's Hill is one of my favourite Dim Sum places. "NO MSG" they claim.

Restaurants cooking frozen dim sum isn't uncommon in London. Most of the dim sum at Royal China, for example, is prepared off-site and delivered to the restaurant chilled for cooking. Quite a few restaurants in Chinatown also buy and cook factory-made dim sum nowadays. It's a real shame.

All the best,

--

Ian

There are loads of reasonable dim sum places opening up outside of central london now.

Go Sing

22-24 Station Rd,

West Drayton.

Middlesex.

UB7 7BY.

go sing has a short dim sum menu but everything tastes like it was made onsite

its not fabulous but if you are in that area and need a dim sum fix might be worth a visit.

And there's one just outside Heathrow too its called

London hong Kong Restaurant

and its on the corner of A4 Bath road and Hatch Lane.

I know that the food is prepared off-site in Woolwich and then frozen in order to reduce the costs, but there was no evidence of re-cooking.

Am I naive in being surprised and slightly appalled at this? Is off-site preparation common in mid-market restaurants?

Cachan says this is true for Ping Pong.

No you not being naive its not something that most restaurant would advertise

but its nothing to be appalled of.

Afterall whats the diffeence between making it on site and then freezing it and doing the same off site? Afterall all restaurants have frozen stuff that they defrost for service.

By the way, did you know that Royal China already does a line of supermarket microwave ready dim sum meals? They are surprisingly edible and you can find them in most asian supermarkets.

Restaurants cooking frozen dim sum isn't uncommon in London. Most of the dim sum at Royal China, for example, is prepared off-site and delivered to the restaurant chilled for cooking. Quite a few restaurants in Chinatown also buy and cook factory-made dim sum nowadays. It's a real shame.

Aren't you talking about two different things here?

Royal China has - what - half a dozen outlets around London, so it obviously makes sense to centralise production. That way you can employ a really good exec. chef to ensure consistent standards across the group. Assuming the fresh dim sum is delivered to each outlet on a daily basis in chilled vehicles, this approach may well increase quality while providing cost benefits, which can be passed onto the consumer (or not).

That's a rather different proposition than buying in frozen dim sum that's machine made in a factory and reheated by some grudgeful drone working for less than minimum...

Clerkenwellian, I think you know the answer to your own question. The cost of space in an industrial estate in Woolwich is obviously a fraction of Soho prices and the less space your kitchen occupies the more tables you can fit into the premises.

<snip> Afterall all restaurants have frozen stuff that they defrost for service.

This isn't true!

ok, not ALL restaurants.

But the majority of London's chinese restaurants do.

In the majority of chinese restaurants anything that is deep fried

will be premade in bulk and refrigated or frozen.

stuff like crispy aromatic duck, spring rolls, prawn toast, won tun, crispy squid, etc.

and for dim sum nearly everything will be premade and refrigerated.

but don't let that put you off as long as the food tastes good

its all that matters.

Aren't you talking about two different things here?

Royal China has - what - half a dozen outlets around London, so it obviously makes sense to centralise production. That way you can employ a really good exec. chef to ensure consistent standards across the group. Assuming the fresh dim sum is delivered to each outlet on a daily basis in chilled vehicles, this approach may well increase quality while providing cost benefits, which can be passed onto the consumer (or not).

That's a rather different proposition than buying in frozen dim sum that's machine made in a factory and reheated by some grudgeful drone working for less than minimum...

I'm not sure it's that different. I recently ate in all of the Royal China restaurants apart from St John's Wood during one week. The food was consistent... and very, very boring.

All the best,

--

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Another feature of this place is the toilets whereby the communal washbasins for both male and female sides are the same single structure and the only separation are the towel tray underneath the basin and the full mirror over the basin.

There is no actual barrier between the two sides so that users on both sides can interact face-to-face and splash water about and the females can watch the males handling themselves at the urinals and also, as the duty manager told me, can check which males are washing their hands after their procedures.

You've been warned !

• 5 weeks later...