• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Avocado Recipes

Scotty O

Since it's also grapefruit season, you could try this salad:

Supreme a grapefruit -- cut the ends off and then cut the rind and pith off. Then cut into segments by slicing on either side of each piece of membrane to release the slices. Layer those with the avocado slices over mixed greens or arugula and drizzle with a nice balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Sprinkle with kosher or other coarse salt.

cut in half, remove pit, fill cavity with good olive oil (or avocado oil!), add salt. Use spoon to eat, maybe with some bread. And pepper. Still the best way to eat avocado IMO.

Make quackomole (spelling?). Cut into salad. Slices on bread. Soup was mentioned, the one I made had little avocado taste despite lots of avocado, need to find different recipe.

User as base for salad dressing or sandwich dressing, blend in blender or small food processor.

Once ripe they keep for a good while in the fridge, you don't need to eat them all the same day. I often buy 4 in a net and we eat them over the week. Once I notice that they give a bit at the narrow end I put them in the fridge and they keep just fine.

They even ripen in the fridge, though very slow.

Have fun with them, I'm seriously considering an avocado tree for the garden, I :wub: them!

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Avocado Salsa

2 ripe avocados - peeled, pitted and diced

2 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced

1 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped

1/4 cup red onion, diced

1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice

1/4 tsp salt, or to taste

In a bowl, gently stir together all ingredients. Do not mash the avocados. Cover and chill for at least one hour so that flavors can meld.

Avocado and bacon sandwiches (optional, but absolutely recommended are lettuce, thinly sliced sweet onion and tomatoes) on good, lightly toasted bread are as near as I've ever come to culinary Nirvana. A smear of Best Foods mayo and S&P are also required, IMO.

Avocado and bacon anything is pretty darn good, too. Wrapped in a heated flour tortilla with some good Jack cheese, its a great quick snack.

Slice up the avocado, and thinly slice a sweet, or red, onion. Scatter tat on top of the avocado. If you want, slice a tomato (or chunk up some cherry or grape ones, they're the only ones with flavor right now. Drizzle with good EVOO and red wine vinegar. Sprinkle with S&P. That's a really good fall-back side dish I do quite a lot.

I second JAZ's suggestion of the avocado/grapefruit salad. That's a natural pairing.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Oh, my!

What a bevy of interesting options. I also have a crate and a half of rather tart clementines, so I may alter the avocado-grapefruit duo and see how that is. Pairing with mozzarella, cottage cheese, and potatoes are new ideas to me. And I am relieved to hear that avocados will survive a while refrigerated; my refrigerator has a great crisper.

Any ideas on how to pair avocados with shrimp?

Avocado goes well with shrimp, a salad either with a an Asian-style vin or a mayo type dressing, sesame seeds, tomato, etc. However, I think crab and avocado is even better.

Stop Family Violence

Crab or shrimp cocktail made with tiny little rock shrimp, or medium sized cocktail shrimp - mix the cocktail sauce and chunks of avocado and the crab or shrimp all together and serve in martini glasses. I like lots of horseradish!

I have a recipe somewhere for a green chili yogurt-based salad dressing. The original salad had the avocado in cubes, but I pureed it into the dressing and liked that even better. Serve instead of ranch over a south-west salad with black beans, tomaotes, roasted corn, and cruchy totilla chips or strips.

Avocado ice cream!

And I am relieved to hear that avocados will survive a while refrigerated; my refrigerator has a great crisper.

The first things that came to my mind were the avocado/grapefruit/thinly-sliced red onions salad...

And avocado sandwiches. Nothing but sliced avocados and mayo and lots of S&P on a good-quality bread. I use one avocado per sandwich, so can go through them pretty quickly.

They do ripen much more slowly in the fridge. When we lived in Panama, we had five avocado trees in our yard. To this day, what I do when I have a lot of avocados is to leave two or three out to eat promptly, and put the remainder into the fridge. I take them out one or two at a time, to stretch out the time I've got to prepare and eat them.

Depending upon how ripe they are when I put them into the fridge, they can last several weeks this way.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I commonly buy avocados at Sam's in sacks of 5 or 6. Put them in the frig right away and they will not ripen for weeks(2-3). Remove what you want to eat a couple of days ahead of time and leave on the countertop to complete ripening.

Mash one/two very ripe avocados with some mild goat cheese, add a little lemon juice, evoo, and tabasco, salt and pepper as needed. A great spread or dip, and it keeps well in the fridge.

Another vote for the grapefruit/avocado salad that's been mentioned. I didn't believe it until I tried it, but the combination is delicious.

Mash one/two very ripe avocados with some mild goat cheese, add a little lemon juice, evoo, and tabasco, salt and pepper as needed. A great spread or dip, and it keeps well in the fridge.

Ooooooooh! This sounds particularly appealing.

With this wealth of ideas, you all are tempting me to go out and buy *another* bag.

All these ideas are tempting ME to go out and buy some - they are usually summer food for me.

Speaking of summer recipes - my favorite use for avocados is a salad / chunky salsa of diced avocado, diced tomato and corn (equal parts each) with some shallot (or red onion), minced jalepeno (or not) lots of cilantro and lime juice, s&p. I usually eat it with tortilla chips but it also works as a side dish, or a topping for burgers!

I'm with OliverB :smile:

'Cut in half, remove pit, fill cavity with good olive oil (or avocado oil!), add salt. Use spoon to eat, maybe with some bread. And pepper. Still the best way to eat avocado IMO. '

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I do a fritatta with chorizo, cotija, queso fresco and black beans (and a diced, fried potato, if I'm ambitious), and top it with more cheese, some salsa and diced avocado when it comes out from under the broiler.

I also love it in chunks in a traditional chef salad. Best chef salad I ever had included avocado, blue cheese crumbles, and lovely rare tenderloin medallions.

Love it on a bagel with some cream cheese and some pico de gallo.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 months later...

I commonly buy avocados at Sam's in sacks of 5 or 6. Put them in the frig right away and they will not ripen for weeks(2-3). Remove what you want to eat a couple of days ahead of time and leave on the countertop to complete ripening.

Doing some research for a class, I've learned that if you refrigerate unripe avocados, they will never ripen -- the cold disrupts the ripening mechanism in the fruit. However, once they're ripe, refrigeration will keep them fresh for a week or so. (I got this from McGee, so I believe it.)