• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Avocado Recipes

Scotty O

Check these Calif avocado commission,

The Monterrey cheesecake, under the Southern Living section is fantastic.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Isn't it funny? I saw the topic and thought to myself - there are TONS of things you can do with an avocado. But aside from putting in a sandwich or a salad or w/my mexican food - I guess I don't know of many other ways it is used.

I will guess that there has to be an avocado soup recipe out there somewhere.

I love to spread it on toast w/salt and pepper instead of butter but that isn't a recipe.

I just had it with crab and tarragon last week but that I would count as a salad type meal.

Now I am going to have to start looking into this one!

You could make an avocado sauce (avocados, whipping cream, water, lemon zest, lemon juice, s/p) to serve with grilled shrimp, chicken breasts or poached salmon.

Add to stuffed eggs with bacon, kind of a new take on "green eggs and ham."

They can be included in a type of fondue (I love fondue!)- avocados, lemon juice, garlic, white wine, Edam cheese, cornstarch, sour cream. I've also added different types of fresh herbs- dill being a favorite. Serve with cubes of bread, red bell peppers and salami.

I love them in omelets, too.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Avocados are great to stuff with any kind of salad....especially a seafood salad. A salad of avocado slices, grapefruit slices, red onions and vinaigrette dressing is a favorite in our house.

And sliced avocados always top Mexican seafood cocktails.

They are used in Panama and many other countries as a sweet....especially in a sort of Avocado shake with sugar and cream. And also along the lines of avocados as sweets, in the Caribbean they make an avocado pie that is very, very good. You can google 'recipe avocado pie sugar cream' and 'recipe avocado shake sugar cream' and find more recipes than you can possibly imagine.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

It's sheer decadence on a baked potato, with some butter and salt & pepper.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I love avocados and eat them weekly, they go wonderfully with Japanese food :biggrin:

A very simple way is to slice them and then drizzle some wasabi-joyu (a mixture of wasabi and soy sauce) over them.

They are also great in donburi dishes, donburis are bowls of rice topped with basically anything your heart desires (or whatever is in your refrigerator :hmmm: ).

Here is one example

gallery_6134_1003_2921.jpg

this was seared katsuo (bonito) with avocado and a mixture of daikon and kaiware (daikon sprouts)

here is another one

gallery_6134_549_1105655152.jpg

this is minced maguro (tuna-raw) with avocado, mizuna and topped with sriracha, underneath is black rice

Yesterday I taught a cooking class and one of the menu items was a Thai style salad with avocado and grapefruit in a simple nampla-lime-sugar sauce, fresh sliced chiles and cilantro were on the table to add as well. The majority of tis class hates cilantro and a couple have problems with spicy foods.....

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Chilled soup.

Yeah! when I was working at Wish under Chef Reidt, he used to make a fantastic Avocado Vichyssoise. And although he no longer works there, I was able to find his recipe here

Also, when working at Agua, in Santiago de Chile, we had an Avocado Relish, which was more of an avocado salad with roasted corn and bell peppers (peeled) and red onions with cilantro, balsamic vinegar, lime juice and olive oil. I might be forgetting some ingredients, but that was the basic idea. In any caso those are two of my favorite preparations.

Follow me @chefcgarcia

Fábula, my restaurant in Santiago, Chile

My Blog, en Español

If you check on the site I posted earlier Here

there are a lot of unusual recipes.

This is just the celebrity chefs section.

Look how many there are here, under the "entrees" section

entrees

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

make a light beer batter and deep fry some slices..sounds gross gross but is good dipped in some lemon juice (or something else acidic) with a little black pepper.

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

Before they were FTV celebs, Susan Feniger and Mary Sue Milliken published a recipe in their cookbook City Cuisine for an Avocado-Goat Cheese spread/dip. Basically the two thinned with some lemon juice, evoo, and a few dashes of tabasco. I haven't made it for quite some time but remember it being quite tasty.

Yesterday I taught a cooking class and one of the menu items was a Thai style salad with avocado and grapefruit in a simple nampla-lime-sugar sauce, fresh sliced chiles and cilantro were on the table to add as well. The majority of tis class hates cilantro and a couple have problems with spicy foods.....

This sounds great. I've also made a "non-Asian" inspired version of this salad using grapefruit, curly endive and avocado in a citrus vinagrette.

This is inspired from Chez Panisse Vegetables, which also has a great Green Goddess Dressing recipe using avocado, anchovy, green herbs, shallots, citrus, olive oil, vinegar, etc.

I also agree that avocados are great with eggs-- not cooked, but folded in at the last minute in big chunks. My favorite is just cooked scrambled eggs, with brown butter and avocado folded in just after removing from the heat.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I like to make a green goddess variant salad dressing. I call it Earth Goddess dressing. It's like a ranch dressing with Avocado and a ton of fresh basil. Roughly speaking, I process: half an avocado, some sour cream or plain yogurt, a little bit of squished anchovy, some lemon juice, maybe a third of a cup of packed basil. I might add a little garlic and I think I add Rose's lime juice in small amounts if it needs a little sweetness. Salt, black pepper, and at the very end about 1 T of EVOO. Good on chopped salads if you keep it thin, and a reasonable dip for fresh vegetables if you leave it thick.

But I think the coolest thing I've seen done with an avocado was to make pasta. Some friends used it in place of egg yolk and it came out beautifully, with a lovely pale green color. Don't have a recipe but I believe there was no egg at all so if it were me I'd just start with a half a mashed avocado and maybe just a tsp or two of water, adding flour until it feels right!

Good luck,

--L. Rap

Blog and recipes at: Eating Away

Let the lamp affix its beam.

The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

--Wallace Stevens

• 1 year later...

Try a "deviled" avocado with crab meat. This is really decadent, especially considering the size.

gallery_36558_2963_52602.jpg

Dropped an egg yolk into the avocado and baked. The textures complement well. What I've noticed, though, is that avocado doesn't change much when cooked whole. You have to break it up into much smaller chunks and then it'll become softer when cooked.

gallery_36558_2963_97092.jpg

gallery_36558_2963_129586.jpg

I love avocados and eat them weekly, they go wonderfully with Japanese food :biggrin:

A very simple way is to slice them and then drizzle some wasabi-joyu (a mixture of wasabi and soy sauce) over them.

They are also great in donburi dishes, donburis are bowls of rice topped with basically anything your heart desires (or whatever is in your refrigerator :hmmm: ).

Here is one example

gallery_6134_1003_2921.jpg

this was seared katsuo (bonito) with avocado and a mixture of daikon and kaiware (daikon sprouts)

here is another one

gallery_6134_549_1105655152.jpg

this is minced maguro (tuna-raw) with avocado, mizuna and topped with sriracha, underneath is black rice

Kristin,

What is Sriracha and the black rice what is the japanese name and how you cook it? Thanks

Thanks

Edited by Cookwithlove (log)

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

I served some last week as part of a tapas theme - pretty simple preparation:

cut avocados in half and remove pit

mix about a tbsp of fruity Spanish evoo with a splash of good red wine vinegar (sherry could work), a pinch of dried hot pepper and some sea salt

pour the vinaigrette into the cavities where the pits were

broil for about five minutes and serve immediately.

Easy as can be yet a unique texture and taste for those who've never had a hot avocado.

Rich Westerfield

Mt. Lebanon, PA

Drinking great coffee makes you a better lover.

There is no scientific data to support this conclusion, but try to prove otherwise. Go on. Try it. Right now.

• 2 years later...