• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Avocado Recipes

Scotty O

Any ideas on how to pair avocados with shrimp?

Make a classic Mexican shrimp cocktail. Either google "coctel de camaron," or pm me for my recipe.

These are always garnished with avocados.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 4 weeks later...

I just put a new dessert on my menu inspired by guacamole. lime confit, cilantro syrup, avocado ice cream, crystallized shallot, toasted jalapeno seeds, and masa sablé. its called "chips n guac."

- Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

No one's said my favorite avocado dish yet. I had it when I visited France when I was young and still remember the flavors to this day. Plus, it's simple.

1) Take an avocado, split it in two and remove the pit.

2) Place two to three canned anchovies over each half.

3) Drizzle with a slight amount of homemade Italian dressing.

4) Eat with a spoon, scooping the avocado from the skin. Serves 1, or if you love it as much as I do, 2.

The creaminess of the ripe avocado helps balance the fishiness of the anchovies. The dressing provides just the right about of acid. Amazing.

No one's said my favorite avocado dish yet. I had it when I visited France when I was young and still remember the flavors to this day. Plus, it's simple.

1) Take an avocado, split it in two and remove the pit.

2) Place two to three canned anchovies over each half.

3) Drizzle with a slight amount of homemade Italian dressing.

4) Eat with a spoon, scooping the avocado from the skin. Serves 1, or if you love it as much as I do, 2.

The creaminess of the ripe avocado helps balance the fishiness of the anchovies. The dressing provides just the right about of acid. Amazing.

Are the canned anchovies those typical salty ones we get in the US, or are you talking about those sublime little beauties you get along the Med?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

My favorite avocado preparation at a restaurant is an avocado curry at nyc's WONDEE SIAM.

My favorite personal preparation is anya von bremzen's miraculous "catalonan guac" from THE NEW SPANISH TABLE. it has anchovies in it too, and parsley instead of cilantro. it is tremendous.

catalan guacamole

I have a friend that used to mash an avocado with a little sugar and eat in on toast for breakfast. It actually was pretty good. Long ago, I had an avocado pie. Just skimmed thru the latest Food Network mag. and there's a recipe for it. They say its like a denser version of a key lime pie. Not sure if its the same pie I had but I am gonna try it :)

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

• 6 years later...

I like eating them as-is, but we don't often have avocados. Thought I'd make the most of the bag we have now and make something delicious. Any ideas?

Edited by Smithy
Adjusted title (log)

Fortunately we live in Avocado Central in Michoacan, where growers ship thousands of tons every year. My favorite use is guacamole, of course, with our local chile peron (known elsewhere as chile manzana), but I've also made a delicious dairy-free "ice cream" that is wonderfully creamy. Then there's fudge using avocado as one of the main ingredients, and a friend makes Avocado Gaspacho. I've also had a non-baked pie with a graham cracker crust, though I don't have a recipe for that. Cold soup?

It's not a party around here without guacamole, but we make it in a molcajete with cilantro, chile peron, lime juice, a pinch or 2 of salt, and diced tomatoes. Some people add onion but I find it too harsh. Maybe a little garlic. My husband is in charge of guacamole in our house, and he makes the best.

Nancy in Patzcuaro

• Like 6

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

I have a huge avocado tree in my back yard, so I have lots of experience with this. My avocados are the big green Florida kind, not Haas. They are a little more watery/less fatty, and also sweeter than Haas avocados. As such, they're great for cooking, less great for guacamole or sandwiches. I like to grill slices and then cut them up in chunks for salad. Grilled avocado with grilled pineapple, dressed with lime juice and cilantro, salt and spices. Also really good as a vegetable in green curry.

• Like 3

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

8 hours ago, GlorifiedRice said:

Avocado

Condensed Milk

Ice

Splash of milk

Vitamix

Glass

Straw

Actually very tempting because I feel like something sweet and I've got some homemade condensed milk in the fridge,  but I feel like I should do something a bit more special... 

I really do like guacamole (thank you for the recipe - will use in future!). So which of these is even better than guacamole?:biggrin: 

7 hours ago, Nancy in Pátzcuaro said:

I've also made a delicious dairy-free "ice cream" that is wonderfully creamy. Then there's fudge using avocado as one of the main ingredients, and a friend makes Avocado Gaspacho. I've also had a non-baked pie with a graham cracker crust, though I don't have a recipe for that. Cold soup?

6 hours ago, anomalii said:

I had a delicious Avocado mousse one time and have always wanted to recreate it. I think you've just inspired me. 

Please let me know how this goes! Sounds delicious. 

4 hours ago, munchymom said:

I have a huge avocado tree in my back yard, so I have lots of experience with this. My avocados are the big green Florida kind, not Haas. They are a little more watery/less fatty, and also sweeter than Haas avocados. As such, they're great for cooking, less great for guacamole or sandwiches. I like to grill slices and then cut them up in chunks for salad. Grilled avocado with grilled pineapple, dressed with lime juice and cilantro, salt and spices. Also really good as a vegetable in green curry.

I need this tree in my backyard... 

Grilled avocado! Sounds great too... 

Tree reminds me of the time I planted the seed in a pot and it grew.  Which reminds me that I read the seed is very nutritious and should be eaten. Anyone know anything about this? I assume it should be blended but can you cook it afterwards or does that destroy the nutrients... I feel like you'd have to hide it in something...

Another thing I thought of while typing this... If sprouted things are healthier,  would the sprouted avocado seed be better...? 

Okay I'll stop thinking now. 

Don't get the wrong idea now, I'm not looking for anything particularly healthy - just something delicious. It's just that the avocado seed is a pretty big chunk of the avocado to throw away... And if it's supposed to be healthy and nutritious, might as well eat it... Waste not want not? 

It "can" be eaten, but there's a reason it's not. 

Even sites/bloggers advocating for its consumption concede that you need to grind it finely and hide it in something, because it tastes dreadful. By all means give it a whirl (yeah, that was a power-blender pun) if you feel in need of the fibre and vitamins, but you probably won't make a habit of it. 

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

19 minutes ago, chromedome said:

It "can" be eaten, but there's a reason it's not. 

Even sites/bloggers advocating for its consumption concede that you need to grind it finely and hide it in something, because it tastes dreadful. By all means give it a whirl (yeah, that was a power-blender pun) if you feel in need of the fibre and vitamins, but you probably won't make a habit of it. 

What powder are you referring to?

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

1 minute ago, chromedome said:

Oh okay, I didnt see anything correlating to that so I asked

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

The word "powder" didn't come into it anywhere...you may have misread "power blender," perhaps? I was referring to the Vitamix/Blendtec kind of machine. 

I guess it would have been clearer if I'd called out the corresponding part of Ess' post as a quote, but I hadn't yet had much caffeine. :P