• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any ideas for a pregnant wife?

Andyzipp

I have a little issue and am open to suggestions, So I hope folks here can lend a whisk or nice heavy mallet.

My wife is entering the end of the second tri-mester and I'm running out of recipes.  I'm trying to be as balanced as possible while still being flavorable and challenging enough for me to enjoy.  

She's starting to complain about weight gain some, and while I can't say I've noticed it (other than the baby), the real issue is that I'm limited by her lack of desire to eat vegetables that aren't snap beans or broccoli florets.  

I've tried just asking her what she wants to eat, but that's a really long book that always ends with, "I don't know...what do you want?"

:biggrin:

ahh, I remember those days.  Just wait til you have to get the little one to eat.  When my wife was preggo a couple of years ago, she had a craving for cereal, that's right cereal!  Of all things.  Anyway, there I was ready to make her anything she wanted.  You really just have to go with what she's craving cus that's her body telling her what she needs for the baby.  One week it's cereal, the next she can't get enough milk, then it's carrots, whatever.  I'm far from a nutritionist, but that's how we handled it and our little girl turned out fine.  Now's she's walking around and learning new words and she's only one year old...musta been the Rice Chex!

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -Ernest Hemingway

I sympathize.  The only thing which worked for me - and it did so only occasionally - was to rack my brains for some dish or even snack which she had really enjoyed in the past and which would bring back happy memories, then try to conjure it up.  You have to remember it yourself, there's no point asking.  And even if you get it right once, a repetition may not be acceptable.  I got high markes one day for reproducing the kind of ham sandwich she had loved in Spain - jamon serrano on a thin, crisp baguette spread rubbed with fresh tomato.

Phew.  Towards the end I gave up trying to cater and just let her gobble whatever came across her path!  Good luck.

In recalling my pregnancy, I desired foot rubs and back rubs more than food....but I'll give it a shot.  

I think that pregnancy is a time for "grazing", so variety might be your best bet.  I loved sharp parmesans, and liverwurst with raw onion. But rather than a liverwurst sand, I would rather a slice with maybe some Ritz and sharp mustard.  I also loved bacon, and would have BLT "wraps" all the time, but the lettuce was the wrap part.   But mostly, I picked.  Perhaps effort could go into providing variety and not into one specific meal.  Also, by just having small tastes, she could have foods higher in fat, since you're having just a bit.   Good Luck, whens the due date?

poor baby.  

You should start a support group with my husband, as he and I are at the same impasse, unfortunately.  I've been mad for cherries, cereal and the new Vanilla Coke, if it makes you feel better--and yes, I'm disgusted with myself.  This too shall pass, and in the first days when you think you'll never sleep again, it will even begin to seem like a pleasant but dim memory.  Hang in there, and God bless.  I think it's really sweet of you to canvass on her behalf, BTW.

I'm currently pregnant and, like your wife, dislike cooked vegetables...all of them.  However, what I do still enjoy is raw vegetables.  As a result, I've been eating many salads in order to ensure I'm getting enough vegetables in my diet.  In addition, at times, my mom is nice enough to stop by w/ some fresh veggie juice she makes for me.  

After a nice salad...I can enjoy my dinner of pasta w/ tomato sauce, pizza, grilled cheese sandwich, or any other form of carbo loaded tomato-y, cheesy food (which is what I tend to crave these days) withough worrying about whether or not my meal is well balanced.  

Good luck!  And it's very nice of you to be preparing such well balanced meals (or any meals) for your wife.  She's very lucky.