• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog Tag Team: slkinsey and Marlene - A tale of two kitchens..

Next Friday get yourself up early and hit Kernan Farm at the 97th market before heading to work.  They had big bunches of asparagus for $6 yesterday.  And their stuff is wonderful.

:laugh: They'd have to be giving out gold ingots for me to get up early. It's all I can do to drag myself out of bed at 7:30.

Well, strictly speaking that's not true. In civilized countries like Italy, I tend to get up at around 6:30. But that's because I get to take a two hour nap in the afternoon. Mmmmmmm. Nap.

--

As far as recipes go, I can modify, but the pork is from Molly Stevens

the carnvial corn is from a friend, so I don't know if it's been modified enough to put in RG.

The riff on Strawberry shortcake is from Epicurious, and I'll modify that one enough to put into RG.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Bear Bryant, a famous Southern Philosopher, once said, "To be a winner, you have to play with pain."

Marlene is merely demonstrating that she can. One tough cookie is Marlene, my hero

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Ideas for mystery basket (Evil laugh: heh, heh, heh.... :laugh: )

SPAM

Tater Tots

Frozen peas

Garlic powder

Canned mandarin oranges

Dill pickles

Cool Whip

OR.....

Squab

Quinoa

Zucchini

Leeks

Rhubarb

Radishes

Mascarpone

Enjoying this blog very much...... what a great idea :smile:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

Sam, what ricotta do you use, wherre do you get it and how fresh is it? The key to any ricotta is freshness. I have had high quality sheep's milk ricotta in NY, but if it is not real fresh it tends to dry out quickly. That might be good for the gnocchi, but less so for eating as is or adding to a meat based pasta sauce in the Neapolitan way.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

When possible, I like to get my ricotta from Alleva down in Little Italy. I think they make the best ricotta in the City (although their mozzarella can't hold a candle to the product out on Arthur Avenue). When I don't have time for to go down there, Fairway sells an excellent ricotta from behind the cheese counter -- fresh, dense and creamy.

--

Afternoon all. It's been a little hectic this morning so we'll be doing the Eggs Benedict one morning this week. Everyone fended for themselves for breakfast. Ryan had leftover pizza, Don made himself a scrambled egg sandwich and I'm about to make my self a toasted bacon and tomato sandwich. Then I'll get started with the rest of the prep for today's dinner.

So Sam, what are you serving with that obscenely big steak?

Marlene

Nothing like starting off Sunday morning with a few cappuccini.

gallery_8505_1301_34147.jpg

On Sunday mornings at the slkinsey household, we tend to have either waffles or bagels. Since we have an additional day off, why not both? This morning was bagels.

gallery_8505_1301_30916.jpg

These are from Absolute Bagel on Broadway between 107th and 108th. We always get their "mini-bagels." Their hand-rolled mini-bagels are, many people agree, the closest thing going these days to the "NYC bagels of the old days." They're just big enough to fit in the palm of your hand, with a nicely chewy crust and just the right amount of the traditional toppings. Not sweet like H&H. Of course, an "authentic traditional NYC bagel" like this could only be made by a family from Thailand!

gallery_8505_1301_18876.jpg

Here's one with a schmear of lox cream cheese. This is the last thing I'll eat before dinner.

On the agenda for today: get a haircut, try to spend at least 60 minutes on the stairmaster to pre-burn off a few pieces of steak, go to Fairway for additional ingredients for tonight's dinner, prep for dinner, eat myself into a coma.

--

A quick pic of my breakfast/lunch and I'm off and running again.

gallery_6080_1300_12642.jpg

gallery_6080_1300_2402.jpg

Toasted bacon and tomato sandwich with mayonnaise. The bacon comes from Montreal and the tomatoes are from Ontario, although it's a little early for good tomatoes here.

And my life is not complete without coffee, usually in one of my collection of Disney mugs:

I bought a set of these while we were in Orlando last month,

gallery_6080_1300_60871.jpg

And I also have a set of these:

gallery_6080_1300_15851.jpg

My coffee maker is not as fancy as Sam's but it does grind beans and I use fresh beans every morning.

I got most of my prep out of the way yesterday so I'm in good shape for today so far. I've got to set the table and make the bread pudding yet though.

I've never made bread pudding before, so I assume I can make it ahead and then re warm it for serving?

Marlene

I've never made bread pudding before, so I assume I can make it ahead and then re warm it for serving?

Actually, I find that the easiest thing to do is cube up the bread and put it in the cooking dish (along with raisins, nuts, caramel, chocolate chips or whatever else you're adding -- if anything), make the custard right before dinner guests arrive (this is just whisking egg yolks with hot cream heated in the microwave and some sugar) and pour it over the bread, then let it soak in while you're eating dinner. Half an hour before you want to have dessert, toss it in the oven. Very simple.

--

Ok, I can do that. I'll need both ovens right up until we sit down for dinner so it can be cooking while we're eating.

Marlene

Ok, I can do that. I'll need both ovens right up until we sit down for dinner so it can be cooking while we're eating.

Exactly. I find that guests appreciate a break between a heavy dinner and dessert, so I often don't put the bread pudding in the oven until we've stopped eating dinner.

--

How intriguing to see both asparagus and bagels still in season in NYC--they were both finished here a full month ago for want of a superior SPF.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

On the agenda for today:  get a haircut, try to spend at least 60 minutes on the stairmaster to pre-burn off a few pieces of steak, go to Fairway for additional ingredients for tonight's dinner, prep for dinner, eat myself into a coma.

Fairway on a Sunday? Godspeed.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Fairway on a Sunday?  Godspeed.

Better him than me. I hate shopping at that place in general, but on weekends it's beyond nightmarish.

That said, though, I was there yesterday and it wasn't that bad...maybe everyone who would ordinarily shop there is gone for the holiday?

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

My coffee maker is not as fancy as Sam's but it does grind beans and I use fresh beans every morning.

Ahhh, glad you mentioned that... Our Melitta Mill & Brew bit the dust and we're in the market for another coffee maker that grinds the beans and can be set the night before. We're not sure whether to get another Melitta. Most of the Cuisinart reviews I've read haven't been favorable. What kind do you have and are you happy with it?

Sam and Marlene, I hope you're enjoying your weekend as much as we readers are!

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

make the custard right before dinner guests arrive (this is just whisking egg yolks with hot cream heated in the microwave and some sugar) and pour it over the bread, then let it soak in while you're eating dinner. Half an hour before you want to have dessert, toss it in the oven. Very simple.

Yes, please don't make the pudding beforehand. Reheated bread pudding is good, but it becomes heavy. It's light and souffle-like when just made. I love hot puddings.

I'm enjoying this blog. Thanks to the both of you.

I can't wait to see the steaks done. A question about the steaks though. Why salt them 24 hours before cooking. I thought that this was a no-no, as it will draw out the juices.

Those are awesome steaks, indeed.

(Side dishes of sauteed onions and mushrooms with a dash of sherry for mine please.)

Fairway on a Sunday?  Godspeed.

I seem to have very powerful Fairway-fu. Probably due to the fact that I've got no trouble elbowing back. :wink:

I can't wait to see the steaks done.  A question about the steaks though.  Why salt them 24 hours before cooking.  I thought that this was a no-no, as it will draw out the juices.

A little salt on the outside won't draw enough liquid out of a 3 inch thick steak to dry it out, but it will get a nice bit of flavor into the meat. Also, what liquid it does draw to the surface is then available for Maillardization. As far as I know, salting steaks the day before is a French technique.

(Side dishes of sauteed onions and mushrooms with a dash of sherry for mine please.)

Mushrooms! That's what I was almost forgetting!

--

As far as I know, salting steaks the day before is a French technique.

Or Jewish.

All of the steaks (and every other meat) I cook at home are salted - and they are still juicy.

Now I want steak.

Mushrooms!  That's what I was almost forgetting!

Ha! Glad to help. :biggrin:

Thanks for the answer on the salting. I'm just a homecook that likes to eat and learn. I wish I had just one of those 3in. steaks here today. Hell, I'd take the bone when you are done.

Whenever I grill or broil a steak (or a chop-- lamb, veal, pork) I always salt and pepper the "bone" heavily. I am one of those bone gnawers. I enjoy chewing on the bone. There, I admitted it. :blink:

I'm thinking that a couple of 3in. steaks should be on our menu for Father's Day.

Marlene. put the wet and the dry bread pudding stuff together pretty close to the last minute. It tends to get heavy on the reheat. Really, I would rather eat it as a room temp dish than I would as a reheat.

Come to think of it, I generally would rather eat it out of the pan and dispense with the plate altogether. I find that this is most enjoyable late at night with the pan balanced on the door of the ice box. There are no witnesses to criticize, and I can follow it up with milk out of the carton. PANTRYMAN strikes again!

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Ahhh, glad you mentioned that... Our Melitta Mill & Brew bit the dust and we're in the market for another coffee maker that grinds the beans and can be set the night before. We're not sure whether to get another Melitta. Most of the Cuisinart reviews I've read haven't been favorable. What kind do you have and are you happy with it?

Sam and Marlene, I hope you're enjoying your weekend as much as we readers are!

I have the Cuisinart Grind and Brew, Thermal Carafe. I've had it for about a year, in fact I have two of them, with one of them residing on my bar downstairs. I'm very very pleased with it. It makes wonderful coffee and it's very easy to clean.

Yes, please don't make the pudding beforehand.  Reheated bread pudding is good, but it becomes heavy.  It's light and souffle-like when just made.  I love hot puddings.

Got it. Ok, I'll do this just before the guests arrive.

Marlene. put the wet and the dry bread pudding stuff together pretty close to the last minute. It tends to get heavy on the reheat. Really, I would rather eat it as a room temp dish than I would as a reheat.

Come to think of it, I generally would rather eat it out of the pan and dispense with the plate altogether. I find that this is most enjoyable late at night with the pan balanced on the door of the ice box. There are no witnesses to criticize, and I can follow it up with milk out of the carton. PANTRYMAN strikes again!

I can just see 8 of us standing around eating it out of the pan.

I'll be anxious for this to turn out well. I'm making a caramel rum sauce to go with it.

Does one serve whipped cream with bread pudding?

Once Don gets the Chateaubriand tied, I'll post up a picture of it. It's a very large beast. We are in the middle of a thunderstorm here so I hope it stops raining by the time we want to throw this on the spit.

Marlene