• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog Tag Team: slkinsey and Marlene - A tale of two kitchens..

John I have to tell you that my kitchen probably will look worse than Sam's. I'm an extremely messy cook, but it's so much fun!

And no, there won't be posts of the aftermath in my kitchen either. :raz::raz:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

So many people picking on my trusty Site Manager...Well I never... :angry: 

Seriously, I like both of you. Play nice! :biggrin:

Actually, I was quite serious about the smoke alarm. OK, the wide-angle lense was a bit of a dig.

The important thing is that his food does taste and look very good though.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Let's see if I have these two pegged from their 2004 posts:

We have the lady who worries about making pie crusts...versus the gentleman who worries about what to put in the bottom of the soup bowl.

The perfect challenge: Potage a la Croute en Surprise, or however it goes in French.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

John I have to tell you that my kitchen probably will look worse than Sam's.  I'm an extremely messy cook, but it's so much fun!

Marlene has to get the nod in the range department! :biggrin::raz: That stainless isn't really that tough to clean is it Marlene??

This is a tough one to pick. Sam, your Thanksgiving blog is my all-time favorite. But, I gotta side with Marlene here ... after all, there's nothing a Canadian likes better than watching an American lose ... cruel but true. So we're waving the Maple Leaf for you out here in BC Marlene.

A.

Let's see if I have these two pegged from their 2004 posts:

We have the lady who worries about making pie crusts...versus the gentleman who worries about what to put in the bottom of the soup bowl.

The perfect challenge:  Potage a la Croute en Surprise, or however it goes in French.

And I still can't make a good pie crust. :biggrin:

John I have to tell you that my kitchen probably will look worse than Sam's.  I'm an extremely messy cook, but it's so much fun!

Marlene has to get the nod in the range department! :biggrin::raz: That stainless isn't really that tough to clean is it Marlene??

This is a tough one to pick. Sam, your Thanksgiving blog is my all-time favorite. But, I gotta side with Marlene here ... after all, there's nothing a Canadian likes better than watching an American lose ... cruel but true. So we're waving the Maple Leaf for you out here in BC Marlene.

A.

I'm honoured to have the West standing on guard Arne. :biggrin: And believe me I know how much of a concession that is to us here in Central Canada. :raz:

We don't start until tomorrow but I've decided on my braise and it's marinating now. You'll have to wait till tomorrow to find out what it is and for pictures. Sam on the other hand is already likely drinking heavily. :raz:

Marlene

We're still in Spring so Lamb could be a protein choice for the Mystery basket (really a misnomer since it is being discussed in the open forum, eh?)

I could probably get my husband to eat lamb more easily than I could get him to eat fish. And that's saying something because he doesn't like either. I on the other hand, adore lamb. :smile:

Marlene

This thread is hilarious and exciting. I love a throwdown, esp. among friends.

I vote w/ johnnyd and others who suggest fish of some sort as the mystery ingredient. I see lots of meat but no fish in the line-up. Or would a vegetarian meal be heretical? Or too much of a challenge?

This thread is hilarious and exciting. I love a throwdown, esp. among friends.

I vote w/ johnnyd and others who suggest fish of some sort as the mystery ingredient. I see lots of meat but no fish in the line-up. Or would a vegetarian meal be heretical? Or too much of a challenge?

yes, well that's because I'm a carnivore at heart. We just don't eat fish. I don't mind making it if that's what the members decide, but I can almost guarantee that no one in the house will eat it, which sort of seems like a waste. Vegetarian? Hmmmm............

Marlene

Vegetarian?  Hmmmm............

Yes! The perfect challenge!

Some suggestions have been raised as to vegetables in season: Fiddleheads, English peas, fava beans, asparagus, early tomatoes. . .

Why not a vegetable plate for mystery basket night? Some artisinal grits perhaps? Really good vegetable plates can be a great way to express creativity.

I'm just sayin.' :biggrin:

Looking forward to it.

Hum...Marlene, we know about Sam's ferrets....time to get your felines in the ring....!!!

Now that' I've rescued on of my kitties from within my basement ceiling, (at a cost of $2,000), I suppose I could take pictures of them. They probably eat breakfast more often than I do. :rolleyes:

Marlene

Some suggestions have been raised as to vegetables in season: Fiddleheads, English peas, fava beans, asparagus, early tomatoes. . .

Why not a vegetable plate for mystery basket night? Some artisinal grits perhaps? Really good vegetable plates can be a great way to express creativity.

Looking forward to it.

I'm sorry, but I'd have to kill myself before I made grits in my kitchen. Just sayin is all. Besides, I proved in my last blog that I couldn't find grits here to save my life. There is a God after all.

Marlene

Looking forward to it.

I'm sorry, but I'd have to kill myself before I made grits in my kitchen. Just sayin is all. Besides, I proved in my last blog that I couldn't find grits here to save my life. There is a God after all.

Hey Marlene,

I just brought back a container of grits from Port Huron( for a Canadian friend that just loves them!!), just say the word and I can bring you back some too :rolleyes:

Even though Im living in Canada, I'll have to root for Sam since I was born in NY and his pizza dough is AWESOME.

Hey Marlene,

I just brought back a container of grits from Port Huron( for a Canadian friend that just loves them!!), just say the word and I can bring you back some too  :rolleyes:

Must you?

Marlene

All this trash talking and no evidence. I am thinking that Marlene went to Tim Horton's tonight and Sam went to Burger King. They are just making all of this stuff up and talking smack.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Ryan and I went to a 10th anniversary BBQ of the daycare he went to for the first 10 years of his life tonight. I sat on that board for those 10 years, eight as president. A really bad hot dog a few cheezies and we were all set. :raz:

Marlene

So, is this the controversial "Kinsey" report I keep hearing about? :biggrin:

This foodblog may be on its way as one of the best, along with bleudauvergne's & Daddy-A's, IMO.

Soba, great timing & scheduling of this foodblog, right at the end of May sweeps!

I'm going to have to side with slkinsey, mainly because he's a singer and my background is in music. So, I must "accompany" Sam in this foodblog.

Sam, you do realize that the first meal involves something braised. And you know that Marlene's going for the title of Braisin' Hussy of eGullet (unless tanabutler has something to say about that)?? It plays well on FN, but will it play on eGullet? We'll find out tomorrow, ehh?? Good luck, Sam!!

I read through the meals for the week and pastries & baking get shortchanged. :angry:

The mystery basket should include a baking component (i.e., chocolate). Also a whole chicken, as well as some rice and some beans. Basic, universal ingredients that will give slkinsey & Marlene a great opportunity to be creative.

BTW, how is the "judging" going to be conducted? Who determines whose cuisine reigns supreme??

[cue dramatic music of your choosing]

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

rjwong,

First of all, I am not a "hussy" of anything, but I am a braising queen. :biggrin:

Secondly, we have whole chicken scheduled for Tuesday

you are so right when you note we haven't featured baking although I have an awesome dessert ready to go for tomorrow night. :raz:

Marlene

there's nothing a Canadian likes better than watching an American lose ... cruel but true. 

So true. Gringo arrogance will get whupped by the True North Strong and Free. You never heard of Jon Vickers, Tenor Man?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com