• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog Tag Team: slkinsey and Marlene - A tale of two kitchens..

Thanks everyone for your kind comments and a fun time, and special thanks to my counterpart Marlene. It's always interesting to see how different people approach the same idea.

Throughout the week I've found myself thinking that, although I wouldn't have cooked what Marlene cooked, I would have been very happy to have been eating at her house that night. I suppose that says something about the personal style or approach to cooking one develops over time, and the fact that it doesn't necessarily include all the things one likes to eat.

--

Bravo.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

gallery_8505_1301_12120.jpg

This is the legendary Sunbeam Model GC Waffle Baker & Grill, widely held to be the best waffle baker of them all.  It has separate removable waffle and pancake/sandwich plates, commercial quality components, a very accurate temperature controller and heavy duty 1250 watt heating elements.  They were made in the late 1950s, and this one has been in my family for around 50 years.  What I like about it most is that it has very deep pockets without going over to being a "Belgian waffle" style.  It makes 4 waffles at a time.

Ditto on the Sunbeam - mine came from my grandmother to my father to me

Thanks to you both for an especially fun and educational week.

Our next Tag Team won't occur until the fall (just in time for fall sweeps, :raz: eh wot?), though I suppose a hint can't hurt. Think of it as the ultimate in fusion cuisine. :wink: Bobby Flay would be proud.

We're going to leave this thread open for a few more hours just in case anyone wants to post fond farewells.

Tune in tomorrow morning when the next installment of the eGullet Foodblog will be up and running. Strawberries and clotted cream, anyone? :biggrin:

Soba

Sam and Marlene, this has been a wonderful blog. Thank you both for your efforts and inspirations. If I had a toque I'd doff it to you.

I remember that Sunbeam waffle iron well! I have a feeling Mom let it go when she and Dad downsized the house. I didn't speak for it because we don't do waffles around our place. Now I'll have to see...maybe she kept it after all...

Sam, it's too bad you're finishing your week in the spotlight with a cold. Here's hoping you recover soon. I still would like to know - this question seems to have got lost in the shuffle - whether it would be worthwhile for me to try different dry vermouths than my stock Martini & Rossi, given that my main use for vermouth is in pan sauces and other cookery. What are your thoughts on that?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I still would like to know - this question seems to have got lost in the shuffle - whether it would be worthwhile for me to try different dry vermouths than my stock Martini & Rossi, given that my main use for vermouth is in pan sauces and other cookery.  What are your thoughts on that?

Sorry about missing your question earlier. I'm not sure it makes sense to change vermouth brands for the purposes of cooking. You're unlikely to taste a significant difference in a pan sauce made with Martini & Rossi white vermouth and one made with Noilly Pratt white vermouth. Certainly you wouldn't want to use red vermouth, except for a few special applications (Batali has a "sweet garlic cloves" thing he does with red vermouth). The only case where you might want to switch would be if you wanted to go drier. I'm not familiar with M&R, but if it's a little bit sweet you should notice a difference switching to Noilly Pratt.

--

Thanks everyone for your kind comments and a fun time, and special thanks to my counterpart Marlene.  It's always interesting to see how different people approach the same idea. 

Throughout the week I've found myself thinking that, although I wouldn't have cooked what Marlene cooked, I would have been very happy to have been eating at her house that night.  I suppose that says something about the personal style or approach to cooking one develops over time, and the fact that it doesn't necessarily include all the things one likes to eat.

I'd have to phrase this "I couldn't have cooked what Sam cooked" :biggrin: but I too, would have been a willing guest at his table any night this past week.

It was a lot of fun. Thank you Sam!

(Does this mean I can go back to eating chips for breakfast and feeding my kid Kraft Dinner? :biggrin: )

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

thank you both so much.

I was away part of the week but catching up was so much fun - I was very, very impressed with everything you both did.

thank you for sharing your lives and your kitchens with us.

get some well deserved rest now!

Just wanted to chime in and thank both of you for all your hard work this week. What beautiful looking food - and drinks. Marlene, by any chance can you tell me where I can find your bread pudding recipe, I am still thinking about it, even after all the other delicious things you have both prepared.

The bread pudding recipe was from Cooks.com. I believe it's on their website under Carmel Bread Pudding!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.