• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog Tag Team: slkinsey and Marlene - A tale of two kitchens..

Ryan arrived back today from his dad's His first question of course was "What's for dinner"

Me: Grilled peaches with Pistachio Cayenne Crumble

Poached Eggs over Corn Cakes with Andouille Hollandaise

Panna Cotta with Strawberry Rhubarb sauce.

Ryan: Huh?

And thus I set out to use the ingredients in the mystery basket and for the final night I really wanted to step outside my comfort zone. All of these dishes are new to me, and I could not possibly have done this without Don working by my side, prepping etc.

It was a beautiful night so we ate each course out on the deck. Starting off with the Grilled Peaches with Pistachio Cayenne Crumble.

Grilling the peaches

gallery_6080_1300_313319.jpg

the finished peach dish

gallery_6080_1300_189217.jpg

gallery_6080_1300_100020.jpg

Moving onto the main course.

Some of the ingredients for the corn cakes included corn, shallots and minced jalepenos

gallery_6080_1300_573588.jpg

Starting the corn cakes

gallery_6080_1300_452420.jpg

gallery_6080_1300_674303.jpg

Some of the ingredients for the Andouille Hollandaise (except I had to use Kielbasa).

gallery_6080_1300_351333.jpg

frying up the Kielbasa, shallots and the seasonings

gallery_6080_1300_499628.jpg

Poaching the eggs, a la Fat Guy

gallery_6080_1300_203252.jpg

Poached Eggs, with Andouille Hollandaise over corn cakes

gallery_6080_1300_344663.jpg

gallery_6080_1300_65437.jpg

Strawberries and Rhubarb for the sauce

gallery_6080_1300_457164.jpg

Cooking the strawberry-rhubarb mixture with sugar and water, adding Grand Marnier later.

gallery_6080_1300_141060.jpg

Panna Cotta with Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce

gallery_6080_1300_161203.jpg

And although Champagne never made it into the basket, it was a perfect accompaniment to this meal

gallery_6080_1300_27773.jpg

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Sam, I'm so sorry you aren't feeling well, but let me take this opportunity to tell you how much fun it was working with you this week.

One of the things I knew going into this was that Sam is an outstanding cook. As Joseph B keeps saying "textbook perfect". I figured that I was going to have to step outside the box, just to keep up. But doing this, and doing it with Sam made me stretch and learn and create more, and in the end, that's what it's all about for me. Learning and having fun.

Sam, I hope you had as much fun as I did!

Marlene

Posted by Marlene Me: Grilled peaches with Pistachio Cayenne Crumble

Poached Eggs over Corn Cakes with Andouille Hollandaise

Panna Cotta with Strawberry Rhubarb sauce.

Marlene, your "mystery basket" menu is great. I want one of those peaches! It all looks soo good. I hope you will modify those recipes to post in them in recipe gullet.

Feel better Sam. The only other thing worse than getting a spring cold is getting a summer cold. :blink:

Thanks to the both of you for an interesting, informative and fun blog.

Oh Marlene, I'm stunned. Everything looks so great, I must have the corn cakes and eggs!

Sam, I'm so sorry you're not well, you did fantastic things this week and I really enjoyed it. Thanks so much for all the great work.

Edited by emmapeel (log)

Emma Peel

Sam, maybe you can tell us later what you would have cooked, had you been able. Surely food ideas have been rolling around in your head even through your misery.

Marlene, very creative menu. Perhaps the corn cakes and sauce could be adapted without so much hot stuff for us non-chile heads, they sure look good. Are you going to enter the recipe? Please do.

Thanks both of you for your efforts.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

"EPIC" that is the word to describe this week. Sam & Marlene, Marlene & Sam (PC!) thank you both so much for all your time and efforts this week. Stretching yourselves and opening your kitchens & lives to us. Wow. This has been truly inspirational. I'll be going back through to grab some inspiration for my own kitchen. Certainly meat balls with motz and the corn cakes with poached egg and spicy hollandaise sauce will make it on my table sometime soon!

Kathleen, thanks so much for chiming in & doing dishes!!

-Genny

Marlene, those dishes look great, and I'm sure I would have loved them! But I'm curious to know how your husband and especially your son reacted to them.

Sam, feel better soon!!!

Michael aka "Pan"

Sam, maybe you can tell us later what you would have cooked, had you been able.  Surely food ideas have been rolling around in your head even through your misery.

Marlene, very creative menu. Perhaps the corn cakes and sauce could be adapted without so much hot stuff for us non-chile heads, they sure look good.  Are you going to enter the recipe?  Please do.

Thanks both of you for your efforts.

The recipes could easily be adapted to omit a lot of the spicier stuff, for example the corn cakes could be made without the jalapenos.

Marlene, those dishes look great, and I'm sure I would have loved them! But I'm curious to know how your husband and especially your son reacted to them.

Sam, feel better soon!!!

Don loves spicy food, so I knew he wasn't going to be a problem. Ryan was dubious about the meal before starting because he'd never had any of these dishes before, but he's also developing a taste for spice. He ate every crumb of every dish,(plus he had an extra peach) which tells me he really liked everything.

Marlene

One of the things I knew going into this was that Sam is an outstanding cook.  As Joseph B keeps saying "textbook perfect".    I figured that I was going to have to step outside the box, just to keep up.  But doing this, and doing it with Sam made me stretch and learn and create more, and in the end, that's what it's all about for me.  Learning and having fun. 

This to me is really the key to the super amazing meal you put together there, Marlene. That's what it's all about. It looks like it was a simply beautiful meal, very inspiring.

Get well Sam!

Marlene, Sam, what a wonderful, wonderful blog! Thank you for inviting us into your kitchens and into your lives this past week. Yes Sam, I WILL grind my own from now on...

Marlene, I know for a fact I'll never be able to keep up to you. Your energy level is fabulous. And what you did with the surprise basket was indeed a work of art.

All that work!!! You must both be so happy it's over! Thanks to both of you!

Even though I haven't commented on anything on this subject before now, it has been fun and informative to follow your adventures in cooking, eating, and shopping. Keep up the good work.

An outstanding week from both of you - great entertainment! Sam, tell us more about that maple syrup.Where is it from? Where did you get it? What grade, etc.

It must have been more than a few sniffles to keep you out of the kitchen, Sam. Get well soon.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Marlene, how did you like the food? Did you have to use any cooking techiques you hadn't used before or was it just the ingredient combination that was unusual? How did you find the recipes--internet, browsing your cookbook/recipe collection, talking to friends...??

It all looked so fabulous!

Edited by arbuclo (log)

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

I loved the food. It wasn't so much that I used a different technique than I've used before, yesterday's dinner was all about timing. I did a lot of the prep beforehand, chopping, making the crumble, panna cotta etc. Each of those dishes though, actually only take a few minutes in execution, but it's very precise timing, because each dish needed to be watched carefully, so you couldn't turn your attention to something else. So we did one course at a time with probably a 15 minute gap between the next course in order to prepare it.

I have recipe fairies. They invent recipes for me whenever I'm looking for something new to try. :biggrin:

Marlene

I have  recipe fairies.  They  invent recipes for me whenever I'm looking for something new to try. :biggrin:

Can I get some of those?! :wink:

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness. – Elsa Schiaparelli, 1890-1973, Italian Designer

I have  recipe fairies.  They  invent recipes for me whenever I'm looking for something new to try. :biggrin:

Can I get some of those?! :wink:

All recipe fairies can be found right here on eG. Once I have their permission, I will modify recipes and put them into RG.

Marlene

Mostly because I'm not a fan of the peameal/tomato combination. Peameal and cheese, yes. And besides, I wanted to use those tomatoes.

Marlene