• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog Tag Team: slkinsey and Marlene - A tale of two kitchens..

"A Week Of Food In Kuala Lumpur" is linking to "Shopping And Cooking In Amsterdam" and as much as I love Amsterdam and consider it my second home, I'd love to see Kuala Lumpur's blog.

Fixed.

--

The camera I'm using is a digital Nickon Coolpix 2100/ I know how to point and shoot, that's about it. :biggrin:

I must say, I liked the meatballs cooked in wine the best, but Don preferred the fried. I just found the wine meatballs a little richer because the wine cooked down to a nice glaze.

And I'm with Sam. We don't play music while we eat either. Prepping, yes.

The caterers will be arriving in about 5 minutes to begin set up.

Sam, what do you have planned for a meal tonight?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

1 ounce red vermouth,

Err, would you care to deconvolute "red vermouth" for those of us unfamiliar?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

1 ounce red vermouth

It's the vermouth that's not white vermouth.:raz: Also known as "sweet" vermouth (although I understand sweet vermouth also comes in a white version, every time I've asked for it I've gotten red). Most liquor stores have both.

sorry to jump in for Sam...first chance I've had to read this thing all day!

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

1 ounce red vermouth

Sure. :smile:

Vermouth is the name for a class of aperitif wines made with white wine that is infused with herbs and fortified. The name "vermouth" comes from the German name for wormwood, wermut (pronounced ver-MOOT), which used to be one of the principle flavorings.

There are two different kinds of vermouth. A white/dry/"French" variety, and a red/sweet/"Italian" variety (the red color comes from caramel, not red wine). In practice, however, there are red vermouths made in France, and there are sweetish white vermouths, etc. To my palate, the principle difference between the two schools of vermouth is best described by color. Red and white vermouth have markedly different flavor profiles (it is also the case that red is usually sweet and white is usually dry). The classic white vermouth is Noilly Pratt and the classic red vermouth is Cinzano. I prefer the red and white vermouths made in America by Vya.

--

The classic white vermouth is Noilly Pratt and the classic red vermouth is Cinzano.  I prefer the red and white vermouths made in America by Vya.

What, no Martini & Rossi? I have so much to learn. :rolleyes: <Cue groans from the cognescenti> :laugh:

Acually, I can believe that dry vermouths are different - much as with wine - but I've never explored them. That's partly because of availability, but also because we don't drink many cocktails around this house. Most of my vermouth goes into pan sauces. With that in mind, is it worthwhile to try other brands?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

First of all, I need to state that I did not take the pictures tonight, and thus, I don't have as many pics of the food as I would like. Having said that, the party was a smashing success.

This is our bartender Joe setting up the bar:

gallery_6080_1300_12245.jpg

Joe and our server/chef Amanda

gallery_6080_1300_31677.jpg

Setting up the tables in the backyard:

gallery_6080_1300_25363.jpg

gallery_6080_1300_36646.jpg

gallery_6080_1300_45574.jpg

Appetizers: Beef and Chicken satays, Rosemary potatoes with roasted garlic chevrre and antijitos

gallery_6080_1300_43345.jpg

More appetizers, mini corn muffins stuffed with turkey and cranberry, shrimp wrapped in snow peas. crackers with herb cream cheese.

gallery_6080_1300_2248.jpg

I do not have good pics of the main course, but here is a couple of the salads anyway

gallery_6080_1300_7525.jpg

The dessert tray

gallery_6080_1300_30525.jpg

I'm exhausted. A fun time was had by all. I wish I had been in charge of the pics because I would have had more of them. Tomorrow, Mystery Basket!

Sleep well, everyone!

Marlene

Very cool, Marlene. I regret that I don't have much interesting food stuff for today. For dinner tonight we went to see our friends The Logistical Nightmares perform at A&M Roadhouse. I had a "fried chicken sandwich" with gravy, bacon, cheese and onion. Kathleen had a pulled pork sandwich. Both were, more or less, Applebee's caliber -- but we were there for the music, not the food. We did, however, drink quite a few glasses of nice Stella Artois.

--

I've got to find something other than Martini and Rossi in this town.

For bitters all we have is Angostura, and it's hard enough to find real premium beer.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

We did, however, drink quite a few glasses of nice Stella Artois.

Speak for yourself...I had Brooklyn Lager. And don't forget the jalapeño poppers! :biggrin:

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Today is going to be a lovely leisurely day. It's absolutely gorgeous outside, so we'll spend most of the day lounging I think. Don is just frying up some bacon so we can have toasted bacon and tomato sandwiches with some of the leftover coleslaw and potato salad from last night.

As for dinner? Well it's a mystery basket, so you're going to have to wait and see what I come up with. :biggrin:

Marlene

Today's lunch,

Here's a better picture of yesterday's potato salad and coleslaw:

gallery_6080_1300_5977.jpg

gallery_6080_1300_22456.jpg

Bacon and tomato sandwiches with potato salad

gallery_6080_1300_7473.jpg

These were eaten on the deck, washed down with Heniken.

I've done some prep for this evening's meal already. In addition, I've started my roast marinating for Tuesday's Estouffade:

gallery_6080_1300_12762.jpg

Excuse me. I have to go bake in the sun now. :rolleyes:

Marlene

Well, I've had so much work this week I've purposely kept myself away from this thread (talk about 'mouse control').

Anyway, there went several hours of a beautiful Sunday catching up, and I must say what you both are doing is fabulous!

Really inspiring home cooking, I wish I could comment on each marvelous dish, but it all looks wonderful. I know you have some appreciative families and some much needed R&R coming up, but first I can't wait for the mystery basket!

Keep up the good work!

Marlene, how were the tomatoes you got from Whole Paycheck? This has given me a hankering for a BLT, and I've been holding out for my Brandywines (never mind that my plants go into the ground tomorrow and are all of 9" tall). What kind of bacon on the sandwich?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

The tomatoes were pretty good actually. The bacon was from Loblaws, President's Choice, thick cut. I rather liked it.

I'm off now to start the rest of dinner prep, since I've baked in the sun long enough and I consider myself to be done. :biggrin:

Marlene

I've got to find something other than Martini and Rossi in this town.

For bitters all we have is Angostura, and it's hard enough to find real premium beer.

Do a search on this site and you can get Peychauds and Gary Regans orange bitters. They ship. http://www.buffalotrace.com/home2.html

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

I've come down with a very bad cold that just keeps on getting worse. This means that cooking dinner tonight is more or less out of the question. Sorry, but no mystery basket. If we order something in, of course I'll document it here.

Anyway, this morning was yeast-raised waffles.

gallery_8505_1301_12120.jpg

This is the legendary Sunbeam Model GC Waffle Baker & Grill, widely held to be the best waffle baker of them all. It has separate removable waffle and pancake/sandwich plates, commercial quality components, a very accurate temperature controller and heavy duty 1250 watt heating elements. They were made in the late 1950s, and this one has been in my family for around 50 years. What I like about it most is that it has very deep pockets without going over to being a "Belgian waffle" style. It makes 4 waffles at a time.

gallery_8505_1301_49278.jpg

Here is the batter and some condiments. Yeast-raised waffle batter is significantly thinner than baking powder-raised waffles, resulting in a much lighter and airier waffle. I also beat the egg whites and egg yolks for additional lightness.

gallery_8505_1301_29414.jpg

Here is one finished batch of waffles, and a single waffle on the plate. The Italian butter (made from the cream of the milk used for parmigiano-reggiano cheese) rocks.

--

his is the legendary Sunbeam Model GC Waffle Baker & Grill, widely held to be the best waffle baker of them all. It has separate removable waffle and pancake/sandwich plates, commercial quality components, a very accurate temperature controller and heavy duty 1250 watt heating elements. They were made in the late 1950s, and this one has been in my family for around 50 years. What I like about it most is that it has very deep pockets without going over to being a "Belgian waffle" style. It makes 4 waffles at a time.

Just what my mom used to have (and may still have in her garage somewhere). She now uses a Mickey Mouse waffle iron for the grandkids. wonder if I can get that waffle iron from her? It really does make outstanding waffles.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I'm working on the dessert sauce now. Expect pics around 9 or 9:30 tonight.

Marlene

I'm pretty partial to the Nordicware stove top waffle makers I have. Bonus is that all you need is a gas stove, which is pretty helpful because we don't have electricity at The Cabin.

gallery_6263_35_153607.jpg

It does have deeper pockets. I do have my Mom's Sunbeam, but I reach for the Nordicware all the time. With powerful gas, recovery time is really great.

Marlene, I'm awaiting dinner photos. Sam, hope you hit bottom soon!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I've come down with a very bad cold that just keeps on getting worse.  This means that cooking dinner tonight is more or less out of the question.  Sorry, but no mystery basket.  If we order something in, of course I'll document it here.

Sorry to hear that, Sam. It sounds like you're going down like Don Giovanni ...

Hope you get better soon. Perhaps we can all send you some soup? :biggrin:

Both you and Marlene are WINNERS!!

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Sam, time to mix some of those drinks that make one feel fuzzy and warm. Get well soon!

Marlene, you were awfully perky today for a woman who threw a housewarming bash the night before...I'd still be under the covers... Looking forward to tonight's pictures!