• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog Tag Team: slkinsey and Marlene - A tale of two kitchens..

As long as you're not flaming them in the blender or on the stairs, I think you'll be okay :laugh:

And, even though I'm abstaining from choosing my favorite, I am confident that you can do it with no further injuries! :biggrin:

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

You want me to flame cherries?  Do you really think that's wise?  :biggrin:

OMG Marlene, this is priceless. I'm seriously wiping the tears away as I type!

For the trifle, just layer any flavors you and your family will like. Hell, serve the damn cake crumbs in a bowl with chocolate sauce, whipped cream and act like it's supposed to be that way. I'm sure Ryan will never know the difference. Hell, make up a cool name and he'll tell his friends about how his mom is so cool she made "Crumbled Cake" or "Skateboard Crash Cake" or something like that. :laugh:

You want me to flame cherries?  Do you really think that's wise?   :biggrin:

OMG Marlene, this is priceless. I'm seriously wiping the tears away as I type!

For the trifle, just layer any flavors you and your family will like. Hell, serve the damn cake crumbs in a bowl with chocolate sauce, whipped cream and act like it's supposed to be that way. I'm sure Ryan will never know the difference. Hell, make up a cool name and he'll tell his friends about how his mom is so cool she made "Crumbled Cake" or "Skateboard Crash Cake" or something like that. :laugh:

:laugh::laugh: Marlene, you're taking all this ribbing so well!

Add my vote for "Stairway Crash Cake". :raz: I'm thinking along the lines of the old refrigerator cake we used to make using whipped cream (actually, it may have been Cool Whip :blush: ) and chocolate cookies broken up into chunks. You could take cake chunks, layer them with whipped cream, chunks of nuts if you like nuts, dribble the whole thing with raspberry sauce and chocolate sauce. Tell Ryan the little chocolate crumbs and nut chunks are sweepings from the stairway.

Can you tell I have a serious sweet tooth?

(But really..why not duck for the mystery basket? Will nobody tell me?)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

What is this heresy about trifle?

As everyone knows the only proper trifle is as follows:

Bottom layer: Sponge cake soaked in sherry .

Swiss roll slices work as well and look nice in a glass dish

Next layer: Raspberries. Tinned ones work well, or raspberry jam.

Next layer: Raspberry jelly. Wait until set before adding the next layer

Next layer: Custard, Birds for preference. Not creme anglais, or creme pat, or pastry cream but cold thick custard

Top layer: Whipped cream.

Decoration: Different schools of thought here. I insist on hundreds and thousands, but glace cherries, silver balls or even chocolate curls have been known.

Left-overs do not last in the fridge but evaporate quickly for some reason

Edited by jackal10 (log)

:biggrin: I have seen ancient intercontinental wars erupt anew over the definition of a trifle; that's why I stayed out of it! However, you caught my eye with that bit about waiting until the raspberry jelly has set before adding the next layer. Poor Marlene, we're nattering on about time-consuming desserts for tonight, and the clock is ticking....

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

All right, here I go. Jack, my apologies for the heresy I'm about to commit with trifle, but I just don't have the time. I am however, going to use your recipe for pastry cream.

If I don't show up again tonight folks, I've either spitted myself to the BBQ, or disappeared under a mountain of triffle.

Wish me luck. In a perfect world, I'll be back.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Okay, chicken with Spring vegetables.

Rather than roasting a whole chicken, I am going to cook it in sections off the bone. The legs will be deboned, stuffed and gently poached; and the breasts will be fried for a crispy skin. This will go with a melange of Spring vegetables glazed with butter and chicken stock.

gallery_8505_1301_74101.jpg

Here are the vegetables. I'll blanch/shock the turnips, onions and radishes prior to the glazing step. I'll also blanch and peel the fava beans. The morels I'll cook separately, and the asparagus is tender enough that it doesn't have to be blanched. I want everything with just a hint of crunch left.

gallery_8505_1301_25414.jpg

Here's the chicken. It's free roaming/organic. I'll stuff the legs with (blanched) turnip greens and diced mushrooms.

--

Oh. My. God. I think I just had a mouth orgasm. This was just too perfect for words, and I'm still in one piece.

(I did it! I did it! I did it!)

First the conversation with Ryan on the way home.

Ryan: "So what's for dinner?"

Me: "spit roasted chicken, potatoes, asparagus, and trifle"

Ryan: Spit roasted chicken? Is Don home?"

Me: "No, he'll be a bit late tonight"

Ryan YOU'RE going to BBQ? Do you even know how to turn it on?"

Me: "Of course I know how to turn it on"

Ryan: "Well maybe, but do you think you should? Maybe you should wait for Don"

:rolleyes:

First I had to spit the chicken. I put lemon and garlic slices in the cavity, tied the legs together and the wings to the body. Rubbed with some salt, pepper and EVOO.

gallery_6080_1300_30514.jpg

So far so good. It's on the spit. Now, onto the BBQ. I probably should have tied the legs to the body as well, but it didn't matter in the end.

gallery_6080_1300_33080.jpg

While I was cooking, I had a glass of this. Laurent-Perrier.

gallery_6080_1300_38546.jpg

Tossed the potatoes in olive oil, salt and pepper and melted some bacon fat in a glass baking pan. Tossed the potatoes into a convection oven, skin on to roast. Tossed the asparagus with olive oil, salt and pepper. Let it sit. Have another sip of champagne.

This is the olive oil I'm using. I'm rather liking this one.

gallery_6080_1300_16557.jpg

The balsamic seasoning. This stuff gets used very sparingly.

gallery_6080_1300_49825.jpg

Chicken is done. Oh man.

gallery_6080_1300_12607.jpg

gallery_6080_1300_28500.jpg

Oven roasted mini red potatoes, roasted asparagus drizzled with Balsamic, and shaved parmesan.

gallery_6080_1300_13162.jpg

Trifle

gallery_6080_1300_37905.jpg

gallery_6080_1300_19475.jpg

Things I've never done before: spit roasted chicken, roasted asparagus, and triffle. Yes I know. I've had that triffle bowl for two years and never used it. My mother in law will be thrilled to know I finally used her gift.

Ryan had seconds of everything. This was too die for, and I'll tell you what. I've never been as proud of a meal as I am of this one. :smile:

Marlene

Marlene, that trifle looks awesome!! And it's so great you got to use that beautiful bowl.

I love that you're so proud of your meal tonight, that you didn't have any mishaps...all during a food blog.

Okay, Sam...whatcha gonna do about dessert? Think fast, buddy. :wink:

edited to add: is that one of those invertable bowls that makes a cake-dome-keeper when you turn it upside down?

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Marlene, that trifle looks awesome!!  And it's so great you got to use that beautiful bowl.

I love that you're so proud of your meal tonight, that you didn't have any mishaps...all during a food blog.

Okay, Sam...whatcha gonna do about dessert?  Think fast, buddy.  :wink:

edited to add:  is that one of those invertable bowls that makes a cake-dome-keeper when you turn it upside down?

I hardly ever bbq because in the past I've been terrified of turning it on, hence Ryan's comment. Overcoming that fear is a big one for me. And to have it turn out the way it did, was just so perfect.

As for the bowl, I've never thought of using it that way!

Marlene

To clairfy: is it in two pieces (pedestal and bowl)?

here's mine

Did Ryan eat the green?

Re Ryan's BBQ comments. My kids love seeing me with the propane torch, using it to light the chimney. They are proud that their mommy loves power tools.

Trifle looks yummy. Details, please.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Yes, congratulations Marlene. That looks great. It's always intimidatingly touch-and-go when you're using a technique you haven't used much before. And spit roasting is not as easy as it looks.

Okay, Sam...whatcha gonna do about dessert?  Think fast, buddy.  :wink:

I know some people will revile me for this, but... I... I... don't usually eat dessert.

--

I know some people will revile me for this, but... I... I... don't usually eat dessert.

I know some people will revile me for this, as well - but, even though I'm the "pastry chef" where I work...I rarely eat dessert, either.

Unfortunately, that doesn't absolve you of making at least one dessert during the blog.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

Marlene, that chicken looks almost as good as it must have tasted! And I wouldn't turn away the trifle, either!

I look forward to seeing "after" pictures of your chicken, Sam.

Break a leg, in boca al lupo, merde, and all other such-like reverse-magic wishes for your audition, Kathleen!

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

To clairfy: is it in two pieces (pedestal and bowl)?

here's mine

No, it's one piece.

Did Ryan eat the green?

Re Ryan's BBQ comments.  My kids love seeing me with the propane torch, using it to light the chimney.  They are proud that their mommy loves power tools.

Trifle looks yummy.  Details, please.

He had two helpings of the green. Roasted asparagus, who knew? :wub: Ryan runs away when he sees a power tool in my hand. For good reason. The trifle was the ruined cake, pastry cream, fresh raspberries and freshly whipped cream with shaved chocolate on top.

Yes, congratulations Marlene.  That looks great.  It's always intimidatingly touch-and-go when you're using a technique you haven't used much before.  And spit roasting is not as easy as it looks.

That's a big part of it for me.  When I do something for the first time, I don't have that rhythmn going that I normally have in the kitchen.  And BBQ's are scary. :biggrin:

Um, I almost never eat dessert either, but it doesn't stop me from making it. Hint hint.

And Don got home early. They filed final statements today and so we had two reasons to celebrate:

gallery_6080_1300_41873.jpg

Don is taking tomorrow off to help get the house ready for the party on Saturday. The morning is taken up with hospital visiting, maybe, if I'm very good a visit to William Sonoma, and I've piano in the evening. Posts and pics will be late from me tomorrow folks. Hope you all had as much fun as I did today!

Where's your dinner pics Sam?!

Marlene

Geez, I'm so impressed. How do you have time for all these great posts and pictures and STILL be able to cook like this? And I covet your wine cellars, if the offerings you show here are any indication.

Back to the subject of the mystery ingredient, the reason I keep pushing for a vegetarian offering is because I can't imagine eating this much red meat in a year, much less in a week. I see a chasm here...perhaps we should christen this the "all meat thread" and give Marlene and Sam a pass on the veggies, and save that theme for some future fearless eGulleters?

Mmm, mmm. I can taste that crispy chicken skin, with the just-under juices and tender flesh. Marlene, now that you have mastered the grill and the rotisserie in one evening, your life will never be the same.

"Honey, can you light the grill?"

"Honey, can you do a spice rub or something from the chicken?"

"Honey, can you spit the chicken and put it on the roti?"

"Don't forget to put the coals all to one side. . . "

"And don't put on too much olive oil."

"Did you put the lid on part way?"

"Did you remember to dump the ash basket?"

"I'll be out at half-time to check it . . ."

:rolleyes:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Marlene -

your dinner looks amazing. you should be proud - and Ryan's enjoyment of it probably made it that much better. I'd be thrilled if you made that meal for me!

I want to see Sam's finished meal now....

Just for the dessert record, I did make bread pudding for Sunday's dinner party. :angry:

Okay, here is the rest of tonight:

gallery_8505_1301_39646.jpg

Here are the legs. I've deboned them, so they are now rectangles of skin-on dark meat. The turnip greens and diced mushrooms went inside, then they were wrapped in heavy foil and put in a water bath in the oven.

gallery_8505_1301_65068.jpg

Here I am cooking the breast meat (skin side down about 70% of the time) and also browning the skin on the cooked leg meat rolls.

gallery_8505_1301_6496.jpg

Meanwhile, I needed a drink. The true classic Martini: 2 parts gin, 1 part white vermouth, a dash of orange bitters and a lemon twist.

gallery_8505_1301_14756.jpg

Here is one view of the finished dish.

gallery_8505_1301_55693.jpg

Here's another.

--

Very nice, Sam. Poached chicken is another thing I've never done. Except for the mushrooms, :raz: oustanding. And woman does not live by bread pudding alone. Kathleen needs more desserts. After all, she cleans up the kitchen!

Edited to add: My sweetie cleaned up the kitchen for me tonight. What a guy! :wub:

Marlene

Beautiful. All of it. Stunningly gorgeous. I'm very impressed with both productions. :wub:

I just got home about a half hour ago, absolutely famished, and I'd just like to state that it even tasted good reheated. my nice sweetie pie made a BEAUTIFUL plate for me!

Yeah! Dessert! except I'm too full now!

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous