• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog Tag Team: slkinsey and Marlene - A tale of two kitchens..

On the one hand I'd say go vegetarian .... am I the only one who has noticed a large amount of meat already?

this is bad because...? :biggrin:

On the other hand, the people doing the eating obviously enjoy meat.

How about the meatloaf... with a twist?  Make it chicken or turkey... or something non-traditional?

If you say tuna loaf, I will track you down and stomp on your flower garden or something equally mean. Ew. :laugh: :laugh:

K

edited to add emoticons so you know I wasn't serious! I could NEVER stomp a garden.

Edited by bergerka (log)

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

First of all though, I bought one of these last week.  I've used it every day of this blog so far.  Cooking by weight is new for me, but most of the recipes I've used so far have been by weight.

Please tell us more about cooking by weight. Is it easier, harder, or just different? Does it make more of a difference when you're baking rather than cooking?

It's different. I'm used to measuring out a cup of this etc. The recipes I've been using this week call for a pound of this, a half pound of that, 4 oz of cheese etc. It just requires different thinking, and it's not something I do without thinking about it, which means, I'm new to it, so I have to read and measure several times before I'm comfortable. :biggrin: I haven't done a lot of baking this week although that will change over the next day or two. I'll let you know how it goes with baking. I do think it's probably more accurate.

BTW Marlene, thanks so much for including the mistakes as well!  It helps to know we are all just human after all :raz:

Are you kidding? Just wait till I try to spit a whole chicken tomorrow. I'll be lucky not to impale my whole hand!

Meatloaf?

Must we?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

On the one hand I'd say go vegetarian .... am I the only one who has noticed a large amount of meat already?

How about the meatloaf... with a twist?  Make it chicken or turkey... or something non-traditional?

Ham and bacon!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

this is bad because...?

If you say tuna loaf, I will track you down and stomp on your flower garden or something equally mean. Ew.

K

Bless you Kathleen. :biggrin:

Marlene

I looooove Charbay vodka.  I haven't actually seen it in NYC, only when I am out in SF.  Is it actually available here in NYC?

I am by and large not a fan of vodka, but it is useful for the occasional drink and Charbay does make a good product. That is their blood orange vodka that I bought because I wanted to try making a kumquat-based drink from Town called Convent in Chile.

The best place to get Charbay is Astor Wines down by Astor Place. That is actually probably the best area to get liquor in Manhattan, because right around the corner from Astor Wines is Warehouse Wines & Spirits. These two places combined likely represent the best selection of liquor in Manhattan.

--

this is bad because...? :biggrin:

no no... not bad... I was just thinking ... maybe... something else?? :wink:

If you say tuna loaf, I will track you down and stomp on your flower garden or something equally mean.  Ew.  :laugh: :laugh:

shhh... don't tell anybody... but I don't like tuna. I'd never do that to you!

I looooove Charbay vodka.  I haven't actually seen it in NYC, only when I am out in SF.  Is it actually available here in NYC?

I am by and large not a fan of vodka, but it is useful for the occasional drink and Charbay does make a good product. That is their blood orange vodka that I bought because I wanted to try making a kumquat-based drink from Town called Convent in Chile.

The best place to get Charbay is Astor Wines down by Astor Place. That is actually probably the best area to get liquor in Manhattan, because right around the corner from Astor Wines is Warehouse Wines & Spirits. These two places combined likely represent the best selection of liquor in Manhattan.

Hah, one would think going to NYU and having it suck all those years out of my life would have at least imprinted the selection Astor had. Although I guess at that time I really couldn't afford any of the fancy stuff. :rolleyes:

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

We could do Thai food for the mystery meal, but only if I get to borrow JosephB. :smile:

Hey! No fair!

Marlene

I think for the mystery meal Sam and Marlene should have to arrange to meet up at some midpoint city and cook together.

Hey. I can dream.

K

Edited to add...good lord, is EVERYONE on eG reading this thread? *waving to everyone* Hi!

Edited by bergerka (log)

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Sam, please clarify this: First, you referred to the potato dish as "German potatoes." Later, you said "German banana potatoes." Finally, when you showed the final photo, you said "Russian banana potatoes." So, what is it? Does the name change with each cocktail you drink?  :biggrin:

Sorry. Probably the booze talking. The variety of potato is "Russian banana." The dish itself is inspired by Peter Luger's "German potatoes," which as far as I can tell is diced roasted potatoes.

--

I think for the mystery meal Sam and Marlene should have to arrange to meet up at some midpoint city and cook together.

Hey. I can dream.

K

Edited to add...good lord, is EVERYONE on eG reading this thread?  *waving to everyone* Hi!

Had I given any thought to this beforehand, I could have arranged to fly to NY to cook with Sam. Now that would have been awesome. Although I have a bigger kitchen, so feel free to fly up here. Come for the housewarming on Sat! Stay over and cook with me on Sunday.

In the meantime, I'm off to bed ladies and gentlemen. Tomorrow's breakfast will be a volunteer tea at the school. I'll do my best to take pictures. Once a year the teachers at the school honour the parent volunteers with a tea. It's usually heavy on the desserts (at 8:00 a.m) but hey, it's the thought that counts.

Marlene

Meatloaf?

Must we?

I'm a bit surprised you don't know a meatloaf recipe you like, but no-one's forcing you. :biggrin:

Oh I could probably find one. I haven't made meatloaf in years though. :biggrin:

Morning all. Time for coffee while I contemplate the day. It's a beautiful sunny day here. I'll be off to the volunteer tea in a little while so I won't eat anything until I get there, so reports of breakfast when I return.

Marlene

Back from the volunteer tea. Nothing like a bunch of sugar to kickstart my morning!

Apple Rubarb cake

gallery_6080_1300_13570.jpg

Selection of cheeses

gallery_6080_1300_7285.jpg

Brie with red pepper jelly

gallery_6080_1300_47578.jpg

More cheese:

gallery_6080_1300_25870.jpg

Cinnamon rolls

gallery_6080_1300_12268.jpg

Cheesecake:

gallery_6080_1300_29677.jpg

Brownies, coffee cake and cinnamon muffins

gallery_6080_1300_36401.jpg

Fruit with various dips

gallery_6080_1300_3896.jpg

Bagels

gallery_6080_1300_36838.jpg

Thankfully, coffee. This is the coffee urn I donated to the school last year.

gallery_6080_1300_50664.jpg

I apologize for some of the lousy pictures. I had to work quickly as the hordes were already decending upon the various platters of food.

Now I'm off to bake a cake of my own and clean up the kitchen from last night's dinner. :biggrin:

Marlene

Eggs & Veggies.  Not tofu since Kathleen doesn't like that and since she does dishes (my hero!  will you marry me???) she gets a major say in what is cooked!

You are my new best friend, both for the compliment and the tofu. If you're rich, I'll even marry you.:laugh:

SHE SAID YES!! My husband will be so happy I found someone to clean the kitchen after I've cooked in it :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Oh, damn! Not rich yet, so I guess I'm jumping the gun. That and if you love NYC then you'd likely shoot yourself if you had to be stuck in suburbia.

Hey Marlene, a quick suggestion: Perhaps someone else should put the chicken on the spit for you. You know, just in case. You do seem a bit accident prone. Just trying to help! :wub:

No, no, no. I'm going to do it myself. It's that or have Ryan do it, which might be worse. My husband gave me detailed instructions on how to do this last night. Ha. At the very least, it should be entertaining! :biggrin:

Marlene

It's a truly heroic effort you all are making here. With each new installment I find myself thinking "what, they have to eat again???" Which is not to say that I wouldn't be happy to drop over and help with the leftovers, just that you might be in danger of Food Overload in a day or so.

Which is why I vote for vegetarian, with no restrictions on what can be made. I can see that it'll be a real challenge for you both, and it'll be fun to watch you cope. And it'll be good for you - little bitta fiber, few more vitamins, to balance out the week.

Hey, if Genny marries Bergerka, can I marry Sam? I'd even wash dishes happily (please don't mention that to my husband, who I have convinced to do all the dishes at our house) to eat Sam's cooking every night.

No, no, no.  I'm going to do it myself.  It's that or have Ryan do it, which might be worse.  My husband gave me detailed instructions on how to do this last night.  Ha.  At the very least, it should be entertaining! :biggrin:

Please have someone taking photos of the process! :raz:

Tofu, nofu. Bergerka doesn't like it, she's good enough to clean the kitchen, she shouldn't be subjected to it. (*Waves back at K from the lurking hordes* :biggrin: ) I confess, I wouldn't be too excited at the prospect either.

If you're going to do vegetarian, then go with some whole grain. Quinoa was mentioned upthread. I have some in my cupboard, an impulse buy from some time ago. I wouldn't mind someone setting an example for what to do with it. Quinoa, mushrooms, leeks...hmm, I may have to try that myself...hmm, garnished with a bright vegetable...

Still, I think both households are pretty carnivorous, and the multitudes should respect those preferences. How come nobody picked up on my duck suggestion? Is that too pricey?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown