• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog Tag Team: slkinsey and Marlene - A tale of two kitchens..

Marlene is Rocky, and Sam is Drago.

Marlene is Clarice Starling, and Sam is Hannibal Lector.

Marlene is Princess Leah, Luke Skywalker and Han Solo and Sam is Darth Vader.

Marlene is Dorothy, and Sam is the Wicked Witch of the West (looks like her, too).

Sorry, Sam, but you're clearly on the Dark Side in this competion.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: ROFLMAO!!!!!

Marlene is Rocky, and Sam is Drago.

Marlene is Clarice Starling, and Sam is Hannibal Lector.

Marlene is Princess Leah, Luke Skywalker and Han Solo and Sam is Darth Vader.

Marlene is Dorothy, and Sam is the Wicked Witch of the West (looks like her, too).

Sorry, Sam, but you're clearly on the Dark Side in this competion.

No no NO NO NO, damn it, I get to be Leia. :angry::angry: Marlene can be Chewbacca if she wants, though. :laugh:

It could be worse. Sam could be an Ewok...or JAR JAR BINKS...ew... :blink::unsure:

Lecter always cooked better than Clariiiiiiice, anyway. Who else would pair someone's liver with fava beans and a nice Chiaaaaaaaanti?

Can Sam be Titus Andronicus?

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

No no NO NO NO, damn it, I get to be Leia.  :angry:  :angry:  Marlene can be Chewbacca if she wants, though.  :laugh:

You can be Leia in your own foodblog. :raz:

So Sam, any hints on what you're braising tomorrow?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

So Sam, any hints on what you're braising tomorrow?

Not quite sure yet. My mind automatically goes to beef short ribs when I think of braising, but Kathleen reminded me that this would be following beef on Saturday with beef on Sunday (not that there's anything wrong with that in my book!). So I might do a pork shoulder braised in milk. Or maybe lamb shanks. Or maybe osso bucco. Or, if I can get a whole one, maybe oxtail.

--

My mind always goes to beef. It's a habit by now. I'm thinking either Estouffade orCaribbean Pork shoulder myself. I'll have to see what I find at the store.

Marlene

WRT the "mystery ingredients" -- we'll have to take into account the different locations in which Marlene and I live and the extent to which that will effect the ingredients we can use. Fish and other foods from the sea may be a tough one for us to match up, unless we go in a very general direction (e.g., "whole fish"). It's not clear, for example, that we'd both be able to get high quality fresh crab.

--

cool idea... this is my favorite blog so far...

mystery ingredient basket suggestion Inniskillin Ice Wine and celeriac

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

This time of year has to be Asparagus; salmon; strawberries

I can live with asparagus (gasp, a green vegetable!) and strawberries, but I really really hate salmon.

cool idea... this is my favorite blog so far...

I can get Inniskillin Ice Wine, in fact I probably have some downstairs, but I'm not sure Sam can.

Marlene

I can get Inniskillin Ice Wine, in fact I probably have some downstairs, but I'm not sure Sam can.

I can get it, but an ingredient that costs upwards of 70 bucks for 375 ml is probably outside the scope of this blog.

--

The only downside to turning this into a competition is that we won't be able to taste the dishes are fearless bloggers are preparing. Thus, their ability to describe the tastes and smells, along with photo quality, will go a long way here. So, who hired the food stylist???

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

This time of year has to be Asparagus; salmon; strawberries

and/or rhubarb. Could be an interesting ingredient which might be used as savory or sweet.

Some interesting recent discussions here and here.

Hope that a seasonal (to both places) ingredient is picked.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I can get it, but an ingredient that costs upwards of 70 bucks for 375 ml is probably outside the scope of this blog.

Wow, I didn't realize it was so expensive there. I don't normally buy it because we don't drink a lot of ice wine, but people keep giving it to us as gifts. :biggrin:

Marlene

This blog seems off to one of the best starts ever, and no one has actually cooked or eaten a thing, which bodes very well.

I'm gonna be an iconoclast and root for Sam, cuz I'm a wanna-be opera singer and my cat would so enjoy eating all of his ferrets for breakfast. Wait, that might not give the right impression. Cuz he likes furry things even if they smell funny, and made a killer Thanksgiving dinner, in a tenor-ish extravagant pardon me while I hold this extremely high note until the audience turns blue in the face sort of way.

Go, Sam!

:raz:

I love rooting for underdogs. It's only that I don't see one on either side here...I am a singer, however, so go Kathleen and Sam! Show 'em how serious singers do cuisine!

*Settles in for seriously cool blog*

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

I have never sampled Marlene's fare, but I can attest to Sam's cooking skills, of which he has plenty. I would also like to see photos of the kitchen after he's cooked though :wink:

I can't pick favorites here. Sam is a dining buddy, but Marlene and I share birthdays. It's too bad I'm so far away from either as I wouldn't mind sampling some of the "entries" of this competition :biggrin:

By the way, I think Inniskillin is one of the most overrated and overpriced wines around. There are many better Niagara peninsula wineries.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I have never sampled Marlene's fare, but I can attest to Sam's cooking skills, of which he has plenty. I would also like to see photos of the kitchen after he's cooked though :wink:

Like hell you will. :angry: *sweet smile*

I can't pick favorites here. Sam is a dining buddy, but Marlene and I share birthdays. It's too bad I'm so far away from either as I wouldn't mind sampling some of the "entries" of this competition :biggrin:

Well, you know, y'all are always more than welcome to show up as lab rats...oops...volunteer judges! :biggrin: Bring the kids.

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

What about fiddleheads as a mystery ingredient? They're spring-y, in season here in Ontario (and available, I'm guessing, in New York), and perhaps a less obvious seasonal ingredient choice.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Trout?  Can't say I'm a fan, although I could be convinced to do something with halibut.

You could do what they do at Cru -- take some diver scallops, slice them thinly and wrap them on a chunk of halibut, then pan sear the halibut so that the scallops encrust the fish.

Oh, and serve it on top of brunoised potatoes mixed with haricot verts and an obscene amount of butter.

Whomever makes that (yes, I'm easy) has my vote.

Soba

I'll have to give my vote to the most creative use of ice cream and Nutella (within the confines of the foodblog, mind you)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Like hell you will. :angry: *sweet smile*

Before you clean up! :raz::laugh:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz