• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Northeastern NJ Wish List

jhlurie

Okay... not to exclude those of you who live in the rest of NJ, but you can start another thread on this topic if you'd like for other areas.

I've been thinking about what TYPES of restaurants I REALLY wish my area had an excellent specimen of--what we completely lack.  I'm going to start by listing mine... but I also think that other folks should add theirs as well, because maybe we can help each other if there is some little jewel tucked away somewhere that Zagat's (hereafter known as the big Z or the big Zero) and the other guides have missed or under-rated.

1.) Cajun.  Not creole, but cajun.  I'm sure it could never measure up to even a mediocre restaurant in New Orleans, but I'd like to see something.  The Priory in Newark and Oddfellows in Hoboken seem to be the only two, and if the big Z isn't even more misleading than usual, they suck.

2.) Ethiopian.  NY city has a few, but does New Jersey?  Zagats says "New Brunswick" (a place called Makeda), that's all I see.

3.) German.  The big Zero says that Montclair and Hoboken have mediocre efforts.  It's either that or Black Forest Inn in Stanhope--which isn't any further than Morristown, I guess.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

jhlurie,

If I could add my zwei pfennig to your post:

Regarding cajun v creole, I have no idea what the difference is, try The French Quarter on Hamburg Turnpike in Wayne.  Live music on some nights, with a Dixieland band on Saturdays.  Food is incredible, IM not so Knowledgable Opinion.

Regarding German food, what about the Triangle Hofbrau on Rt 23 in Pequannock, or Topps in Red Bank?  Or The Dutchman's in Manahawkin, all places I've eaten at, in addition to the Black Forest Inn.

http://www.germancorner.com/yellowpages/re...ants/newjersey/

Don't know how exhaustive that list is, but I do know that Clayton's Log Cabin on Rt 72 in Barnegat burned down a few years ago, not sure if they ever rebuilt.

My first inclination was to say a decent restaurant in Jersey City, but I think I said that a few million times.  Actually, it surprises me that Jersey City doesn't have a decent Filipino restaurant.  There's a large Filipino population here, but all that's here is the fast food places that keep the food warm all day long (possibly all week long).  For that matter, I don't know of a decent Filipino restaurant in all of NJ - nor nyc any more.  The excellent one on 14th St. is no longer there from what I hear, and Cendrillon, a Filipino fusion place on Mercer, has been going further and further downhill the past 2 years.

There are a few good authentic Filipino restaurants in Bergen County.  Try Goldie Luck in Bogota on Palisade Avenue (they have very authentic dishes along with some Chinese dishes)

this is my favorite. There are others though in Bergenfield but I like Goldie Luck.

Glenn - on the whole Cendrillon is not authentic

Goldie Luck is

People there are nice but I will warn you if you go when it is busy the service can be slow

They used to also have music there on Friday nights.

Sunday starting around 1pm often very busy as this is when the last church goes out and Teaneck/Bogota have a large Filipino population.

I have been to Bamboo Grill - to me not as good as Goldie Luck. Try the whole fish if you like Fish (at Bamboo it is stuffed with tomatoes and onions while at Goldie Luck it is grilled . Or try puncit (similiar to lo mein but better more flavor . Try the lumpia (small egg rolls) Sinogong (Shrimp and Vegetable Soup).   Also sticky rice, halo halo for desert