• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Midafternoon Cravings at Work

Dilbert was remarkably on topic for this thread....

Clickety

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

This might sound weird, but those little individual packs of breakfast cereal make terrific midafternoon snacks, with or without milk - I'm especially fond of Cheerios, eaten dry, with my fingers (not unlike the way my best friend's toddler eats them).

K, mainlining cappuccino 'cuz it's not even 8 am here yet.

Edited to say that I am just so not goin' there on the nutella on one/in one debate (yes, please).

Edited by bergerka (log)

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

Not exactly a health food, but I love those little packets of sesame crackers that are always sold by the cash at corner stores - tasty sesame flavour, and a quick mid-afternoon sugar buzz. (I also love that they're cheap enough for me to buy them with whatever change I can find in my pockets :biggrin: )

Edited by lexy (log)

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

I know you think you're eating enough, but based on what you described (a kid's lunch; a Clif bar) I second tryska's suggestion that you think twice about your lunch. A Clif bar has 250 calories. Even I, as a small, thin woman, cannot survive on a Clif bar for lunch. (I've tried, on hectic days; I'm always deranged by hunger at 3:30.) Also, those noodle cups are basically white starch. Maybe a more balanced lunch would help, too. Protein, vegetables, whole grains - and save that Clif bar for your mid-afternoon snack.

Always good to see another Nong Shim fan - I've been plugging them so much I'm sure people must think I work for them (I don't BTW)

I have a bad habit of eating shortbread fingers from the work biscuit tin - very unhealthy. That or Worcester sauce flavour wheat crunchies (See the crisps thread in the UK forum for details...)

If I've been out at lunchtime and the Olive guy has his stall out I'll sometimes buy a tub - but once I start on those things i can't stop, so they are no better.

I had a brief Biltong phase too - not good on your breath if you have a meeting though!

Pistachoes are good - the fact you have to shell them slightly slows down the rate of munching.

I love animals.

They are delicious.

honestly - it seems to me you are not eating enough, to begin with, hence the afternoon cravings, and the rest of your day falling apart.

You're too kind, really. :wub: I'm quite certain that I'm eating enough, quite enough. But, thanks.

I mean, I work out at least twice a week and all, but I'm no jsolomon....

well just making sure.....not enough calories int he earlier part of the day is often the root of binging later in the day. not that i'm accusing you of binging mind - but i know i would go nuts if all i had for lunch was a clif bar or even a shin cup. a shin bowl maybe, but evne with those, i start going nuts around 3-ish. But i think that's more of a simple carbohydrate issue.

as for jsolomon - i think he's given many of us a bit of an inferiority complex. *lol*

A cup of miso and a single roll of sushi is my favorite afternoon snack. Protein, starch, and veggie, with hot liquid to fill in the cracks!

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

as for jsolomon - i think he's given many of us a bit of an inferiority complex.  *lol*

Yes, but can he hold a candle to y'all cooking?

Truth be told, though, my favorite low tea snack is a pint of IPA or a proper sweet stout.

Edit: grammar police

Edited by jsolomon (log)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

i'm with chrisamirault, curlz and all:

my metabolism is the same: eat at

frequent intervals or turn into the

WITCH from HELL.

i can't eat a lot of food at one shot either,

i.e. my tank fills and empties quickly.

this does not help (calorie wise or any other way)

but i LONG for the genteel ways of indian academia

where ~ 4 pm the chai waala comes around with

nice hot sweet milky tea in a glass; along with

samosas.

all warfare temporarily suspended for chai time

where everyone congregates in the hallway or

staff room and slurps....

sigh....

if only those vending machines could be persuaded

to hold a nice hot cup of chai and 2 hot crisp samosas

with tamarind chutney....

milagai