• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edinburgh Restaurants

I live in Edinburgh, so I can give you a few suggestions. What type of food do you like/dislike and what do you mean by pretentious (my definition of that would most likely be different).

For French Bistro type food I like:

Le Petite Folie (61 Frederick St), seven quid for three courses at lunch, about fifteen quid for dinner. It is very simple, but good French bistro fare.

Petit Paris (38 Grassmarket), more upmarket then the former (still un-pretentious) and better food, still of the Bistro level. Still cheap.

Daniel's Bistro (88 Commercial Street, Leith). Food of Alsace, with Scottish twist. I like it, but come hungry and don't expect many Veggie options.

There are lots of other choices, maybe you could give me a bit more idea of what you are looking for (ie. Would you like to go to an "ethnic" Scottish restuarant or something else?).

If you like Indian food, I had a terrific meal at Kalpna, a vegetarian Indian restaurant on St Patrick's Square, just off Nicholson Street, last time I was in Edinburgh. Cheap too.

We tried to get in to Martin Wishart's in Leith - my Edinburgh-based friends say it's fantastic, probably the best restaurant in town - but it was full. Will save it for next time.

Adam - while walking around Edinburgh earlier in the year I noticed a new-ish French place, southwestern in outlook, on the street that goes under North Bridge on the Old Town side (Jeffrey Street? Market Street? Can't remember). Do you know the place? Menu looked interesting, but didn't have chance to try it out.

cheers

Adam

cheers

Adam

Adam - while walking around Edinburgh earlier in the year I noticed a new-ish French place, southwestern in outlook, on the street that goes under North Bridge on the Old Town side (Jeffrey Street? Market Street? Can't remember). Do you know the place? Menu looked interesting, but didn't have chance to try it out.

Adam - sounds like "La Garrigue" on Jeffrey St., which although newish, has been getting some good reveiws, but I haven't been there myself. Will have to try it. MW is very much cheaper for the Lunch option (three courses for less then twenty quid).

Adam - La Garrigue, that's the one. I recall wandering past, noticing that the place hadn't been there the previous time I'd been past, crossing the road to look at the menu, and one of the staff zooming out to give me a business card (I gave the card to the friends with whom we were staying). I thought it looked good.

I'll have to try it next time I'm up that way (probably a couple of months).

cheers

Adam

i like le cafe st honore, just off george st, looks like a very typical french bistro serving decent food. Not sure of the cost on an evening as i've only been for lunch but find it a convivial spot for drinking a bit more than planned! 0131 226 2211. Another spot i had a cheap lunch in was cafe marlene, virtually opposite C st H., seemed to be run by 2 women one cooking, one serving. Simple 3 choice hand written menu. good food and certainly unpretentious.

you don't win friends with salad

• 4 weeks later...