• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Orange flavored beverage

SteveW

The last couple of years, I've gotten Fanta Orange from Indian restaurants here in Montreal. These are the individual glass bottles, that come from India. About a week ago, I saw for the first time here(in my memory), cans of Fanta Orange. These cans come from Poland. I find the Fanta Orange from individual glass bottles, tastes much better than Fanta Orange from cans. Are they using different recipes? Any other aspect that you want to comment on?

-Steve

In Indonesia Fanta Orange runs a close second to Strawberry which is the most popular of the Fanta line. Although I prefer the new(ish) Pineapple, they have recently come out with Electric Melon, which is green and tastes like honeydew melon.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

I often find a difference between the taste of a soft drink in a can and a bottle. Sometimes more subtle, sometimes not. I wonder if it's a chemical reaction thing. (I have to assume it's the same recipe; it'd be too much of a pain to manage otherwise).

Derrick Schneider

My blog: http://www.obsessionwithfood.com

You have to eat. You might as well enjoy it!

I often find a difference between the taste of a soft drink in a can and a bottle. Sometimes more subtle, sometimes not. I wonder if it's a chemical reaction thing. (I have to assume it's the same recipe; it'd be too much of a pain to manage otherwise).

Many years ago I head a theory that the shape of a container affected the taste, which is why Coca Cola in the 6 oz. bottle tasted different than the Coca Cola in a 2 litre bottle. At the time, the theory went that when "cosmic rays" bombarded the product, the shape of the container bent them, and that's what made the taste change. :shock:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

What about if the glass bottle is clear or dark? Does that in anyway affect the taste(the small coke glass bottles are green from my memory)?

-Steve

As far as I can tell, it does. Coke also came in a 12 oz glass bottle of about the same shape as the classic, but tasted different to me. :blink:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Well the main difference would be if the bottle is plastic or glass. Glass always works best, it seems.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I think that the local ingredients will be different. Knowing how unscrupulous these guys are (or rather good business people) if they can save a cent here or there they will do it. What might be illegal to use in one country might be perfectly legal in another. Also if you can use local products rather than having to ship them in then they will be used; if it means changing the recipe in order to accomodate local products then I am sure it will be done.

• 6 months later...

My vote is for the Brazilian Orange Sumol, which you can find in a lot of Brazilian restaurants.

My honorable mentions go to San Pellegrino La Rossa (Blood Orange) and Fentiman's Seville Orange Jigger.

As for "standard" Orange sodas, I loved them as a kid, but they all seem too sweet now.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Penafiel Tangerine is my favorite, by far. I wish that we could get that stuff in New Orleans, but all I can ever find is Jarritos, which is not even in the same league, flavor wise-although their mineral water is pretty good, very highly carbonated and slightly metallic tasting.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Grand Marnier and Perrier!

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

My vote is for the Brazilian Orange Sumol, which you can find in a lot of Brazilian restaurants.

Just a minor correction -- Sumol is from Portugal, not Brazil. However it has distribution IN Brazil.

http://www.sumol.pt

It just so happens that they serve it at churrasquerias here in Newark along with Brazilian sodas like Antarctica (which also has distribution now in Portugal) because of the mixed Portuguese and Brazilian population, and the mixed Portuguese/Brazilian menus.

So to recap, Sumol is a Portuguese soda that is distributed in Brazil and Antarctica is a Brazilian soda that is distributed in Portugal.

And Guarana Brasilia is made in Newark. Clear?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Just tried one which WON'T win "best orange". It's not horrible, but its pedestrian.

The "new" Pepsi owned "Tropicana Twister Orange Soda".

Admittedly I've only tried the Diet, but you know what I think this is? The old Orange Slice flavor repackaged.

At the same time, Pepsi is ALSO still marketing the non-carbonated but soda-isle distributed Tropicana OrangeAde (in both Diet and non-diet versions). That's actually a bit more interesting than the "Twister" soda, although still not in the class of some of the sodas named earlier in this topic.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Nehi in the 12 oz Longneck bottle, sweet with medium carbonation.

"The Tradition of Taste Since 1924"

Contains: Carbonated Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup and/or Sugar, Citric and Phosphoric Acid, Potassium Benzoate (A Preservative), Gum Acacia, Ester Gum, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Yellow 6, Red 40 and Yellow 5.

Mmmmmmmmmm.

I like San Pellegrino Aranciata Amara, which I think is not only less sweet than the regular Aranciata but also flavored with some other citrus. I used to get it out of pop machines in Italy; by far my favorite soda.