• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who's pumped for Nobu?

Kevin72

An article in the Dallas Morning News profiles Nobu, the famed "innovative Japanese restaurant" that began its rise to fame in New York's Tribeca neighborhood in 1994. Its newest outpost will open in Dallas in June, joining other outlets in London, Milan, Tokyo, and Miami.

I've been pumped about this ever getting scooped about it (on eGullet, of course! :biggrin:) late last year.

Has anybody been to the original, or any of the other locations? Thoughts?

I must say, though, that something about the article gave me pause. My regional pride bristled a little when the article quotes people like Tim Zagat saying "Any city that has Nobu has a culinary star . . . It's not like any restaurant you have. It is a restaurant that is excellent in every way, but it is unique."

On the one hand, as Goodloe points out, such a high profile opening helps elevate the city's dining scene as a whole, as surrounding restaraunts ratchet up their own offerings to compete. On the other hand, I get a little twitchy at the implication that the Dallas dining scene is so lacking, and it diminished the impact for me a little to read that Dallas is just one of four planned Nobu openings this year alone. Raynickben, in posting this article in the Texas Food Media thread, points out one of the last times New Yorkers tried to bring a famed restaurant to the Dallas scene: the Il Mulino debacle.

Will Nobu suffer the same fate? (Well, let's hope not a major lawsuit at least . . . )

Honestly, I couldn't care less. How is Nobu going to be different than any other "chain" restaurant now? Higher prices, "the scene"? Will every major city get a Nobu? Oh, yeah...that's special.

Maybe my not being a big fan of Japanese cuisine is my problem.

If Nobu will be the new hot ticket in town that's fine with me. It will keep me from being shut out of my 7 pm reservation requests at the places I really want to go to. (grumble, grumble)

I've eaten at a few of Nobu's places in Los Angeles (the original Matsuhisa, Ubon - a noodle house in Beverly Hills, and another spot he has in Malibu).

I am a huge of Japanese food and have enjoyed all of the offers, but Matsuhisa (his flagship?) was definitely the best. Most memorable was an offering of a scallop sashimi in the design of the Japanese cherry blossom, interspersed with slices of black truffle, centered with a cluster of tobiko. His tempura was innovative, light, and elegant, and the sushi exceptional.

I just returned from a short vacation in Texas (3 days in Austin - 4 in Dallas).

In Dallas - we dined at York Street, Cuidad, La Duni and Aurora for dinner. H3 in Fort Worth Stockyards area, Lucky's and Cafe Lux (chain in Galleria) for lunch. Meals ranged from good to excellent. I think Dallas is a really terrific eating city (although I could do without the sprawl and freeway driving).

I'm from Florida. Have eaten at Nobu in New York before. Great meal there (party of 12 cousins getting together night before my grandmother's 100th birthday party). But - at this point - I have to think it's basically a high end chain. If I lived in Dallas - I'd probably try it. But I certainly wouldn't give up my day job (i.e., the local restaurants). FWIW - I've read of people spendng about $250 for 2 at Nobu outposts like Miami (without much liquor). We didn't spend anywhere near that at really good local Dallas restaurants. Most we spent (by a lot) was about $250 at Aurora (and about 1/3 of that was for liquor).

IOW - Nobu won't hurt Dallas IMO. But it's not as if Dallas was some backwater without decent eats before Nobu arrived. Just my 2 cents. Robyn

But it's not as if Dallas was some backwater without decent eats before Nobu arrived.  Just my 2 cents.  Robyn

Alot of the quotes in the article seemed to veer towards what you were talking about there. Good to hear a non-local's view of the dining scene. Glad you saw some of the good places we have to offer.

Saw coverage of it on the news this morning. An uncomfortable-looking Robert DeNiro was there, and was cornered by a reporter who asked him why they chose Dallas.

DeNiro said something to the effect of it's a big city, seems like people would like it, "At least that's what we were told!" He added and did that patented DeNiro grimace-laugh, like he's about to pistol whip someone.

They said it would be at least July before people would be able to get in the door for reservations. Looks like The Fickle 500 already have this place locked up! :wink:

Amen Robyn (and others)!

Its frustrating to hear people go on about what Nobu can do for the dallas restaurant scene. The Dallas restaurant scene is NOT going to be changed by one more high end chain. We invented chains, adding a nicer one is not going to change how Dallasites think about food. The Lolas, and York Streets and the success/competition brought about by small places like those are what could help cultivate the high-end foodies in Dallas.

-oren

• 2 weeks later...
Amen Robyn (and others)!

Its frustrating to hear people go on about what Nobu can do for the dallas restaurant scene.  The Dallas restaurant scene is NOT going to be changed by one more high end chain.  We invented chains, adding a nicer one is not going to change how Dallasites think about food.  The Lolas, and York Streets and the success/competition brought about by small places like those are what could help cultivate the high-end foodies in Dallas. 

-oren

Dallas *must* have invented chains. I ate at one there without even recognizing from the name (Grand Luxe Cafe at the Galleria) that it was a chain (nice Sunday late breakfast before shopping - although about twice as much food as any normal person could eat).

I have to tell you. "Nobu the Chain" may well be a swell restaurant. Similar places may be too. But when they open here - there - and everywhere - and if they take the place of local establishments with local flavor (or even local establishments where chefs are trying to do national or international "high end") - well what's the point of travel?

I read an article by Phillipe Starck (designer) a while ago. He has a city and a county place (both in France if I recall correctly). And - apart from business stuff - he says he doesn't travel these days. Because every place in the world is becoming the same. I guess that's true in the London/Paris/New York kind of circuit he tends to travel in. But I'd hate that to be true across the board. I can't imagine going to Kyoto just to wind up dining in Nobu or Nobu clones. Ditto for Dallas. Robyn

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, just had a meal from Nobu @ Crescent Center. the food was great, but the front house still has a few kinks to work out.

The good

My five co-workers didn't have a reservation on a Wednesday at 8:00, but I called on the way over. The chic hostess "couldn't make any promises" for a table, but we showed up anyway and scored a side bar table tucked in the corner of the place. Thanks!

The ceviche was as good as something you would expect from the TriBeCa joint.

When asked for soup recommendations, the beautiful server promptly replied with the better seller at the restaurant (miso over mushroom $8). The miso was good, two hunks of tofu.

OMG - the 'new style' sashimi ($18) is flash seared in a red chili infused oil topped with a few sesame seeds (fish of choice, we had salmon). Totally shareable.

The house special role - a rainbow role of sorts, really hit the spot.

For desert, the green bean yuzu was a winner, and the fresh fruit platter ($12) was delicious and well presented.

A lychee martini washed it all down wonderfully (~$14).

The not so good

I found the market price of the toro sashimi to be a bit high ($20 for two ~1oz pieces). Being from the NY area, we are spoiled by a wonderful daily Tokyo imported Fatty and White Tuna priced right at Sushi House in Hoboken NJ (www.sushihouseofhoboken.com).

The poor single diner next to us waited a long time for his sashimi which never did show.

The bar service was very slow.

Servers bumped into each other on two occasions, one time dropping shot glasses on the floor behind us.

What also looked good was the full lobster served in a wide bowl over some wasabi something or other. It was brought to our table by accident, we never ordered it.

The shrimp shooter concept is approaching ordinary, but Nobu does it anyway. Five shooters were brought to our table by a runner, but again, we never did order them.

Another great looking dish that we didn't order which was brought to our table was the blackened cod. This dish was brought to our party of six by a runner as we were finishing our desert.

Overall, a great dining experience. Much more than sushi on the menu. The dining room is DECKED out and the clientele and staff are easy on the eyes.