• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beyond Vanilla, Chocolate, and Strawberry

edemuth

We pulverize nougat noir, the really dark French or Spanish nougat, and add it to either cooked or uncooked custard.  It makes better stuff than any restaurant nougat ice cream I have had.

Also, we simply froze very, very rich plain yogurt, such as Biblos brand, sweetened to taste, and have come very close to the wonderful Bulgarian yogurt ice cream they sell at the ice cream stand just off the Carrousel de Louvre in Paris.

Basil ice cream served with figs poached in Cabernet and plain chocolate cake and more Cabernet syrup was another hit.

Coarse ground coffee infused in either custard or sweetened heavy cream, then strained before freezing.

As already mentioned, it is really important to let the mix mellow in the refrigerator for a few hours/overnight before freezing.

Like dogs, there's no such thing as bad homemade ice cream.

eGullet member #80.

• 1 year later...

Spring is soon here! Time to revive icecream.

I attended a cooking class last night. One element of the dessert was curry icecream. Three tablespoons of curry powder were added to the custard before processing in the icecream maker. The color of the icecream was an attractive deep yellow. The curry gave the icecream a slightly spicy flavor, followed by faint curry flavor. It was intriguing.

The icecream was served on a plate drizzled with dark chocolate sauce and accompanied by a filo "bonbon" containing chopped dates, dried apricots and sugar.

Spring is soon here! Time to revive icecream.

I attended a cooking class last night. One element of the dessert was curry icecream.

Yuck!

But I admire your sense of adventure.

I made some lemon grass/mango ice cream the other week, and paired it with blood orange sorbet. Pretty swell.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I had a Hypnotique sorbet that was fabulous - and the colour of glacier ice. I bought a bottle to do the sorbet at home but drank it all before getting around to the sorbet.

Beware of ice cream experiments- I put on 10# one summer perfecting chocolate peanut butter ice cream. I'm a sucker for the salt sweet combo.

A Bloody Mary sorbet garnished with a bit of leafy celery top and splashed w/ vodka isn't bad either.