• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

For those of you searching for farm stands

Hi Everybody.

Since it's getting to be farm stand season around here, I've asked Rosie for permission to plug my new book; Farms and Foods of the Garden State: A New Jersey Cookbook. It's got profiles of 30 NJ farms and a hundred (mostly easy) recipes to go with them.

Check it out at Farms and Foods dot com, the books' web page and get out there and buy local!

Brian Yarvin

My Webpage

Brian--Is your book available at Border's or Amazon.com? Thanks so much for letting us know about this book. And how exciting it was to recognize one of your subjects---Jonathan White from Bobolink Dairy.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Rosie:

The book is on Amazon com. I still haven't seen a copy myself at Borders but other people have reported buying them there.

I'm delighted to see that you recognize Jonathan; it's his cows on the cover! However, with a copy of the book and a bit of effort you could have fifteen or twenty farmer friends! (some of the people I interveiwed don't sell retail or have stands)

As for where the recipes came from - I based them on dishes the farmers described to me during our meetings.

Brian Yarvin

My Webpage

Rosie:

They are really recipes that I as much transcribed as created.

How about Pat Tanner's favorite? I read this on her show a couple of weeks ago.

Quail Marinated in Beer

Makes 8 Quail - 4 main dish servings

Quail are little birds with big flavor. True fans will just throw some salt and pepper on them and throw them on the grill, but a marinade like this one will give the birds a bit of depth and add some interest.

Marinade

12 ounces (one can or bottle) ale

1 cup cider vinegar

1 cup soy sauce

1 teaspoon dried thyme

3 bay leaves

2 tablespoons peppercorns

2 whole dried chiles or 1 teaspoon dried chile flakes

Combine these ingredients in a glass or plastic bowl

8 Quail, butterflied

2 tablespoons olive oil for the baking sheet

salt and pepper to taste

Rinse and dry the quail. Immerse them in the marinade for at least 2 hours and put them in the refrigerator. When you're ready to start cooking, preheat your oven to 325 degrees, pat the birds dry and lay them out on a well-oiled baking sheet. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper and bake them for 40 minutes. Let rest at room temperature for 5 minutes before serving.

If you can, get your quails from the Griggstown Quail Farm. link to the farm

BTW...for those of you down south, I'll be on the Ed Hitzel show next Saturday morning talking about the book and farming in New Jersey.

Brian Yarvin

My Webpage

Brian, I remember discussing this book with you..I'm glad it came to fruition. And, its great to see HoneyBrook int here..my share this year has already yielded lots of strawberries, baby lettuces, and great bunches of chives and cilantro...and that's just the first visit of the year.