• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rotisserie Chicken Taste-Off

fifi

I am just now getting to catch up on the food section of The Houston Chronicle and ran into this interesting test of Rotisserie Chicken. While this was a Houston happening, most areas in Texas have the same sources. There are some surprises here.

Come on . . . Admit it. Some of those ready-to-go chickens are a pretty good deal and sometimes even pretty tasty. They are a really good deal for someone living alone. When I get it home, I typically nosh on the drumsticks standing at the counter. Then I whack the rest of it up and store it in the fridge. The breast meat might get sliced for a sandwich, thigh meat might end up in a quick pasta sauce and, if I have freezer room, the carcass goes into a baggie and stored there. When I have collected two or more carcasses I have enough for a small batch of rich stock for soup or dumplings. I still like to roast my own chickens but usually prefer to do the big ones for when I have someone over so that doesn't get done as often. The store bought birds are usually small enough that I don't feel like I will turn into a chicken before it gets eaten.

I have a La Madeleine in the area but it is in an inconvenient place so I don't get there very often. I have enjoyed the chicken for lunch from time to time. The surprise to me was Boston Market. I do pick up some of their stuff when I am too busy or just don't feel like cooking but I don't think I have ever gotten one of their chickens. I will be doing that shortly.

Does anyone have any favorites to add to the list? Do you agree with the findings? Do you buy these with a bag over your head so you won't be found out?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Texas Rotisserie Chicken in Sugar Land had good chicken back 10 years ago when I lived there. I bet its still pretty good.

Costco roasted chicken is very good and a great bargain.

Pronto cucina's roasted chicken I hate to say isn't very good IMO. I really enjoy the chicken vincent and a couple other things but how can they serve such mediocre chicken when thats a family specialty?

I often roast a chicken at home, and have not bought one in several years.

But D Mag touts Seigel's Deli (just south of Beltline & Addison Rd.) as the best in Dallas. I haven't tried it yet, but will take on that sacrificial duty.

I'm a fan of Costco's rotisserie chicken...unlike the ones sold in area supermarkets, it's a large roaster--for $4.99--and VERY tasty. The only problem is getting one! I swear, there is a line at the counter every time I go, and the guy literally can't get them off the spit fast enough.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Costco . . . Costco . . . Costco . . .

I have Costco envy. The one here is about 50 miles from me. :sad: I talked to a friend of mine that has an office near there and he swears that the chicken is divine.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I've been known to buy these both from Costco and from Brunos, and we love them. I'm secretly coveting a rotisserie oven so I can make them all the time. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Marlene, I think you on to something there. I have been thinking about getting my own rotisserie. Does anyone have experience using home versions? Plus or minuses of your rotisserie?

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I have Costco envy. The one here is about 50 miles from me.  :sad: I talked to a friend of mine that has an office near there and he swears that the chicken is divine.

The internal temp. standard they use is way higher than I would go at home (something like 180 or 185F, to avoid lawsuits); consequently the breasts are usually overcooked.

Marlene,  I think you on to something there.  I have been thinking about getting my own rotisserie.  Does anyone have experience using home versions?  Plus or minuses of your rotisserie?

I have a DeLonghi convection oven with rotisserie. I have not yet used the spit, but I'll do that soon and post.

Oh please do Richard. I've been looking at the George Foreman rotisserie or the good old Pompeli rotisserie.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Marlene,  I think you on to something there.  

I have a DeLonghi convection oven with rotisserie. I have not yet used the spit, but I'll do that soon and post.

I'm looking for a new convection oven, and if there is a spit, that's even better.

But my current oven (an old Sanyo nuke + conv) blows all the hot air in from a right side port. This is OK for a turnstile, but I don't think it will work on a rotisserie. Have these things improved over the last ten years?

I have Costco envy. The one here is about 50 miles from me.  :sad: I talked to a friend of mine that has an office near there and he swears that the chicken is divine.

The internal temp. standard they use is way higher than I would go at home (something like 180 or 185F, to avoid lawsuits); consequently the breasts are usually overcooked.

Ok, gotta say, I'm lovin' egullet for turning me on to new, great bargains. :biggrin: That said, I've NEVER bought a rotisserie chicken b/4 b/c there's nothing I hate more than dry whitemeat chicken. I was given a Sunbeam Rotisserie for Christmas one year, and even when I'd make it myself, the breast was way overcooked by the time the legs and thighs were done (this likely could be b/c of the quality of the roaster, but regardless, I've never been impressed with rotisserie chicken).

However, this thread came just on the right week when I was too busy at work to get away in time to still make something for dinner, and having been sick last week, my stomach was still on the touchy side. So I figured for the sake of the society :wink: , I'd venture out and stop at the Costco that is very near my house and grab a bird. As I approached the counter, they had just put out two birds right off the spit. I quickly grabbed one and tried to cover my face as I bolted towards the checkout, hoping not to be recognized. I got the bird home, and following Fifi's instructions, I polished off a drumstick standing at the counter. :wub: It was AWESOME. But we're still talking the dark meat here, so there's still a chance that half of this bird is gonna suck. I decide to wait until the next day to try my luck on the breast, but then I saw the above post about the breasts being way overcooked. I knew I couldn't handle the suspense of waiting for the next evening to find out, so I went and carved out snack sized slice from the middle of the breast that night. Well, it was......really good!! Not dry at all! Even today, after sitting in the fridge a day, I made a grilled pannini sandwich with more of the breast, and it was incredible. Thank you egullet for giving me another reason to love Costco.

I was recently in Home Depot buying new grates for my 12 year old Weber Genesis 1000 gas grill and decided to go the extra mile and get the rotisserie.

I have done a rotisserie chicken three Mondays in a row since and they have been outstanding. I fill the body cavity with garlic and lemon slices, make up mixture of olive oil, sea salt, ground black pepper, Hungarian Half sharp Paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and a little light brown sugar. I tie the chicken up so that the legs and wings are tight against the body, paint on the mixture and roast at 400 deg for about an hour and ten minutes, before checking for an internal temp of about 165 deg.

Next Monday I will brine the bird, but even without that they have been just killer.

There is nothing better than a few slices of that chicken after it has rested for about 10 to 15 minutes, just nothing better!

Cheers,

HC

nacho, thanks for the report on the Costco chicken. I am almost tempted to drive the miles to get one. Well, maybe not. The big HEB at 646 and the Gulf Freeway looks a lot more enticing.

Richard, crank up that new DeLonghi and let us know how it works.

But, that said, I am not sure that rotissing your own chicken is in the same category as picking up that beautiful bird with no effort of your own. Being a basically lazy person, there is some fascination with that.

BTW . . . I just got one from our local Randall's. It was just ok, underseasoned.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

But, that said, I am not sure that rotissing your own chicken is in the same category as picking up that beautiful bird with no effort of your own. Being a basically lazy person, there is some fascination with that.

To that end I will be trying a Siegel's Deli chicken next week.

I'm so happy that I've turned someone else on to the Costco chicken! Then again, that's one more pair of hands grabbing for them when they come off the spit... :laugh:

I'm going to ask my dad if he remembers what it is they DO to the chickens; I'm positive that he once asked, b/c he's the King of Costco. :biggrin: Iirc, they inject or brine them.

And btw, I've never once had a chicken with dry white meat from there!

Curlz

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

For those in the Washington DC area, Magruders has a super rotisserie bird.

It tastes even better on Wednesdays when it's only $3.99.

Yes, it's small, but two of us usually do not finish it at one sitting. It's what we

used to call a poullet (Fr. poule).

If I'm feeding more , then it's off to Costco, where I'll wait until the fresh hot

ones come off the spindles.

As declared by an earlier contributor, it's EASY, and FAST and CHEAP!

Tastes good too.

Ted Task

For those in the Washington DC area, Magruders has a super rotisserie bird.

It tastes even better on Wednesdays when it's only $3.99.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

And I'll echo his comments...a tasty bird indeed!

Ok, in Houston (and probably elsewhere) nothing, absolutely nothing beats the chicken at "Pollo Riko" on Fondren and 59. Rotisserie chicken over charcoal, the smell alone form a block away is heavenly. Lunch is a bargain for this bird, a 1/4 with 2 sides, a drink and an "arepa" is about 4.50. Just be prepared to pay cash! Costco..Shmotsco....

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I'd be thrilled to patronize a local place with amazing chicken, but alas, it doesn't exist around here.

But last night I did think of all of you as I stood at my kitchen counter eating the drumstick off of my Costco bird! :laugh:

nacho, thanks for the report on the Costco chicken. I am almost tempted to drive the miles to get one. Well, maybe not. The big HEB at 646 and the Gulf Freeway looks a lot more enticing.

Richard, crank up that new DeLonghi and let us know how it works.

BTW . . . I just got one from our local Randall's. It was just ok, underseasoned.

The ones sold by Sam's Club are big a juicy and well seasoned. They are under 5 bucks and very good. They're great for chiken salad etc as well :wink:

Well folks . . . I took one for the team today. I had an appointment near the Boston Market in my area and I needed lunch. While hungrily eyeing the meatloaf, I checked myself and said "I gotta do this for eGullet" and ordered the quarter of a rotisserie chicken. The first thing that put me off is that this season's "flavor" is "Sweet Garlic Rotisserie Chicken." I love garlic. There is no such thing as too much garlic. But the sweet part put me off. I really don't like sweet stuff in my savory dishes. Oh well. I must try this for my buds. I did "chicken out" on getting the white meat and went for the dark. Hey . . . A person can only go so far in the name of science.

I was studying the chicken as it sat next door to the creamed spinach (love that stuff) and the requisite mashed taters and gravy. It looks respectable . . . a delectable golden brown and all glisteny. It appears that this hind quarter came off the size of chicken that I covet for frying. It is really cute. I poke the side of the thigh and come up with a piece of meat and skin. The skin is not crackly crispy but pleasantly thin and tranparent. Lots of juice is making an appearance.

Into the test chamber. Hey! Waitaminnit! This is GOOD! Very juicy, the garlic is just right, sort of mellow and well rounded. It doesn't shout you out. Now where is the "sweet?" Well, you have to look for it. It doesn't scream at you either. I think it is just calling the rounds for the salt/garlic dosey-doe. We must analyse this wonder.

Working from the outside in, I taste the skin. Good balance. Meat right under the skin has the same balance. The same goes for meat near the bone. The menu says that the chicken is marinated before cooking. I am going to make a wild guess here and surmise that the chicken is actually brined with some added sugar and maybe garlic juice in a well crafted mix. I don't actually see any garlic on the skin unless I am missing something.

We have a winner here. I forgot to see what a whole chicken costs but I probably wouldn't care. Our intrepid Chronicle testers got it right. This is worth eating. I will be heading for that drive through.

I am a little suspicious of that "seasonal flavor" thing though. Just when I find something that I really like and could come to crave, they will probably change it to something noxious like red sweet glop with pineapple and artificial smoke with chipotles. After all . . . The Blackeyed Pea quit making their signature pea salad maybe 20 years ago and I haven't forgiven them yet.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"