• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quick! need suggestions for sweets

simdelish

Confirmed 2 days ago about new job. Immediate immersion: am busy designing/testing dessert menu for new restaurant. Trying to organize new kitchen, order supplies, ingredients, pick plates, taste and train staff on cheeses and desserts, all that is involved in setting up new kitchen, and quickly!

Just got call from owners this morning: the city granted them a temporary one day permit to have the opening party June 4, a full week or more before we hope to be open for business! :wacko: So now I have to worry about producing something sweet for the party, along with everything else. The kitchen won't be ready for me to use... so I will have to do them in another kitchen (Asian!), in their limited off hrs, or else do here at home. :shock:

I need to come up with probably 3 items, small, pick-up/passed petit fours types. No utensils, no plates. But must look (and taste) great, mini-dessert items, that can be done fast, and with not a lot of special equipt. Help! I don't have a lot of time to fool with this, just need to produce! No time to pour over books. Any suggestions would be most appreciated, as my head is swimming right now with everything else!

oh, yes, did I say quick, fast, delicious, beautiful, and easy to make?!?!?!? :laugh: for about 600 people?

I like to cook with wine. Sometimes I even add it to the food.

Have you checked out the "Help Me Design a Dessert Bar" thread? It's full of good ideas for finger desserts. (If I were technically competent, at this point I'd have a hyperlink for you to choose. I'm not.) :rolleyes:

Life is short. Eat the roasted cauliflower first.

Have you checked out the "Help Me Design a Dessert Bar" thread?  It's full of good ideas for finger desserts.  (If I were technically competent, at this point I'd have a hyperlink for you to choose.  I'm not.)  :rolleyes:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...&hl=dessert+bar

or in hyperlink... :smile:

click

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

At the Bride's magazine party last night they served fresh marshmellows - looked like the chef just piped them out onto serving trays to set up like little kisses - but you could do something like a s'more on a square of chocolate and/or cookie. People seemed to be enjoying those - just lifting them off the trays and popping into their mouths.

Watermellon on skewers at this time of year is always delishous, refreshing and attractive - especially if you do an interesting presentation - also benefit as it is on skewer

don't you want to do something in line with the plan for the restaurant? what style, cuisine? what have you been planning on? shouldn't you be trying to create draft version minis? Don't panic - this is your opportunity to create some hype and buzz and anticipation so stay focused and make sure what you do is in alignment with your pland and intent for the real desert menu. This is also an opportunity to shine personally - take advantage of it

don't you want to do something in line with the plan for the restaurant?  what style, cuisine? what have you been planning on?  shouldn't you be trying to create draft version minis? Don't panic - this is your opportunity to create some hype and buzz and anticipation so stay focused and make sure what you do is in alignment with your pland and intent for the real desert menu.  This is also an opportunity to shine personally - take advantage of it

I think that's the best answer!

No one has tasted your menu, why not give them a tease off of it? You'll have plenty of time in the future to dazzle them with more creations. I don't think you should add anymore work onto your load. Use the K.I.S.S. approach.

don't you want to do something in line with the plan for the restaurant?  what style, cuisine? what have you been planning on?  shouldn't you be trying to create draft version minis? Don't panic - this is your opportunity to create some hype and buzz and anticipation so stay focused and make sure what you do is in alignment with your pland and intent for the real desert menu.  This is also an opportunity to shine personally - take advantage of it

chefette hit it on the nail.

Anticipation is key.

I think that's the best answer!

No one has tasted your menu, why not give them a tease off of it? You'll have plenty of time in the future to dazzle them with more creations. I don't think you should add anymore work onto your load. Use the K.I.S.S. approach.

Iknow, I know...but that seems to be the problem... I am still trying to get feedback from the chef and owners as to what they want, and they can't seem to give me any parameters, which is why I am so frustrated. The cuisine is basically 'modern american' so that just about covers anything.

I would LOVE to do minis of the planned menu, that absolutely makes the most sense. But it doesn't look as if we'll even have equip in by then, much less a space to work in. So they have told ME to KISS! which translates to probably NOT minis of more complex dishes.

I know this sounds a bit back-assward, but unfortunately, that's the situation I am in. They had been stringing me along for months with this "possibility" of a job, which I quite frankly thought they would nix (due to the expense) and only now at the last minute did they decide that yes, indeed they do want a pc, and are now even adding a rooftop dessert bar til 1 am. So I have to move quickly and cover lost time.

I won't have any molds, etc by then, What they don't want for the party is things like brownines/cookies etc, pedestrian stuff. I was thinking more along the lines of choc cake/ganache petits fours, and yes, marshmallows, maybe little filo/lemon tarts (as it is spring), maybe some almond paste-y/marzipan thing, or perfect little pink sandwiched raspb macarons. Remember, I have to make 600 of each! So the cutting up of a full sheet pan of something makes the most sense, or quick kiss-like piping. I will have walk-in space available, but that's about it.

(I have sort of followed/popped in occasionally the dessert bar thread, but mostly I got the idea that there were things like brownies, etc, and stuff for kids as well, lots of time, and plates, utensils etc used. But, I will go back and scan if I have time.)

I was just frazzled when they called me with the news, so I posted immediately for help. Thanks so much, and if anyone else has even a single recipe from a book they can recommend working well to make a lot of, or one that they have used in a similar situation -- I would be most appreciative. thanks!

a sheetpan of opera or an opera-like cake is a fast way to come up with 600 rich special treats

see if they will spring for tartlet shells or chocolates a la carte shells that you can fill with spectacular things that can be popped into the cooler

lollipops with a flower center served on trays of rock sugar are simple, fairly quick and pack a big visual punch

caramelized nuts can be served plain, coated in chocolate and 10X or cinnamon or other final coatings and give you 2 or 3 things

re the decisions on the menu - I would start making the decisions about what it should be and why and share that with them - you are the expert - give them expert advice - don't get dragged around and then find you are dissatisfied. If you force them they will eventually tell you to make a whole menu of stupid things.

what food are they serving? Have you spoken with the cuisine chef re what his plans for the impromptu event are? Try to follow suit stylewise or better yet - get to him now and start COLLABORATING and making your plans in tandem.

Chefette mentioned tartlets and I had been thinking that these Lemon Tarts might be a nice option. They are the 3rd post from the bottom. Garnished with the dark chocolate they look a bit more dramatic than usual.

Also, and unfortunately I can't remember what thread it's on, someone did small cheesecake bites dipped in chocolate. I know you don't have much fridge space but being they're made in a sheet pan it might not be to bad.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

As I said, I do have use of the walk-in, so refrigeration is no problem. It's the baking, the storage, no equipt other than my home KA5, half-sheet pans (that's all that will fit in my homekitchen) and regular small tools, and ingredients avail from store. (I do have a big #10 can of almond paste opened in my fridge, however, that I could use)

I think I will go with my original thoughts: lemon curd in purchased mini filo shells, caramel/nut/choc tartlets, mini operas (either with mocha or praline), perhaps mini eclairs or cream puffs (I know they are passe, but everybody always loves them), and raspberry or rasp/pistachio macarons. I wish I had a flexipan of a 1" shape -- I would love to do something molded, like a mini panna cotta or chibouste, served on a tiny choc or shortbread disk. Or if the kitchen were operating the fryer, a choc filled fried wonton I thought might be fun...

I will try to search for the choc dipped cheesecake bites, CB.

thanks all... if any more suggestions, keep 'em coming!

How about using some chocolate shells with a raspberry in the bottom and some piped mousse on top w/shavings? I usually use frozen raspberries and just sort of smash them into the bottom and fill with a firm chocolate mixture that I can quick pipe into the shells. They always go over big! And you can do dozens at a time...

Josette

Just passing through and thought I'd suggest something a friend made recently -- dulce de leche cheesecake squares. You could easily embellish with anything really, for the sake of presentation. Good luck.

Oh, and another quick thought -- tiny meringue cookies with a drizzle of rosemary chocolate topping.

Bridget Avila

My Blog

I've been reading Gerald Hirigoyen's "The Basque Kitchen" and saw something that might fit your needs:

meringues flavored with cocoa powder; after baking he tops them with chocolate mousse and dusts with cocoa powder.

They are not a Basque dessert, rather one of his inventions from his earlier life as a pastry chef. He makes them in a larger individual dessert size and calls them "chocolate rocks". They look rustic (the meringues are spooned rather than piped) but elegant at the same time and I think would easily work in a scaled down version. The concept sounds good to me; crunchy merginque bites topped with rich mousse. One could pipe instead for a different effect.

One could play around with the mousse and flavor it with cinnamon or orange, liqueurs, etc.

Hey, your almond paste could be used as a part of a mixture on top of meringues also. Orange, Rose or Vanilla-flavored meringues with an almond mousse-like spread on top? Artistically garnished with two almond slices set in sideways on top?

A nice cream puff filling I've made is whipped cream swirled with passion fruit puree. A seasonal and tasty alternative would be to fill with a rhubarb fool (roughly puree cooked and sweetend rhubarb swirled into the whipped cream).

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Look in the recipe gullet for the petit fours recipe. It is really good, uses almond paste, cuts like a dream with no crumbs. I made it and didn't layer with anything just used a layer of the cake and topped it with a bittersweet/butter glaze and topped each piece with a piece of gold leaf. I thought it was outstanding.

check out my baking and pastry books at the Pastrymama1 shop on www.Half.ebay.com

for max impact i agree petits are great

i dont know the type of restaurant

for example

individual separate praline macadamia with seasoning that reflects the style

you can bang out 3k at the same time, and that should provide roughly 600-900 orders

interesting pate de fruit flavors

can be hollowed out with 10 parisienne and filled with cream/yogurt garnished with fresh herb etc for micro taste

again, a 2k batch will nail you 600 orders easily even at 2x2cm per full sheet tray

in the spirt of lemon curd but more easy, if you fill siphons with lemon curd, using egg whites in base in stead of yolks, you get a great lemon mousse, and can fill roughly 40 tastes from one 850 ml sifon, even 80 if you do 10g tastes, which will fill a small shot, therefore a 6k batch should be more than enough.

Garnished with some muscovado sugar and fresh basil makes a nice spring treat

Individual chocolates are also a glamorous but somewhat labor intensive process.

I am a big fan of simple tasty treats like a pistachio financier. Again, a 6k batch will give you 600 10g portions. You can garnish with raspberry or fleur de sel, or anything really

marshmallows are another easy large volume item, can be flavored with a liqueur that reflects the flavor of the cuisine

Finally agar agar based gelees are incredibly practical as they dont break down under temp, and can serve as the base for spoon mounted petits. Litchi gelee with fresh litchis, orange flower water and yogurt? any combination for spoon mounting is fine, and again, 2k of base gelee with provide 600 2x2cms, and spoons can be premounted on sheet trays or serving trays.

All of these are one step to make, one step to portion and one to two steps to finish, you could knock the place out in two hours and be home for dinner

enjoy, i hope this is helpful

thanks akwa, those sound great! The cuisine is "modern american" so that pretty much can be anything. There will be several Asian type things, as most of the food will come from the other Asian/sushi place, and the little place also opening next door (we will share basement dry storage and w/i) is Thai. I could do one or two along those flavors, but I really need to be more western.

Yes, I like simple but delicious too...my very first thoughts did include financiers and flavored marshmallows. Most people have never had really good, or fresh ones.

I love the idea of lemon mousse from the siphons --how fast! But alas, no siphon at home. I suppose I could try to get my hands on one before the week's out, but that may be risky. Remember, I have to make all this stuff from my HOME kitchen; I don't have access to commercial ANYTHING, except to store the finished products in the walk-in of another restaurant. I can probably get my hands on several halfsheet pans, but otherwise, I am pretty limited.

I was lost on one thing tho--

Finally agar agar based gelees are incredibly practical as they dont break down under temp, and can serve as the base for spoon mounted petits. Litchi gelee with fresh litchis, orange flower water and yogurt? any combination for spoon mounting is fine, and again, 2k of base gelee with provide 600 2x2cms, and spoons can be premounted on sheet trays or serving trays.

excuse my ignorance... by "spoon mounted" I first thought you meant top the gelee with whatever, dropped from a spoon. But then "spoons can be pre-mounted on sheet trays"... huh? sorry, i don't follow :unsure:

I have only worked w/agar agar a handful of times,and years ago, but I love that idea, and would be excited to use. Could you pm me with your agar gelee recipe/formula?

thanks, everyone... lots of great ideas. I was really panicky when they first called me a few days ago, hence the frantic original post. My head is swimming with too many details, and I still haven't found an assistant, or an ice cream batch freezer. Will keep everyone posted on what I end up pulling off! :laugh:

What about store bought chocolate cup filled with lemon curd or raspberry sauce ...

Poeple likes the experience of chocolate cup and

You can purchase already made one.

I wish I have a photo of Chocolate cup...

Oh.. I found one.

The hat of the snowman is the chocolate cup.

ahanae_20041223033834_3922743_1.jpg

Good luck!

interesting pate de fruit flavors

can be hollowed out with 10 parisienne and filled with cream/yogurt garnished with fresh herb etc for micro taste

again, a 2k batch will nail you 600 orders easily even at 2x2cm per full sheet tray

in the spirt of lemon curd but more easy, if you fill siphons with lemon curd, using egg whites in base in stead of yolks, you get a great lemon mousse, and can fill roughly 40 tastes from one 850 ml sifon, even 80 if you do 10g tastes, which will fill a small shot, therefore a 6k batch should be more than enough.

Garnished with some muscovado sugar and fresh basil makes a nice spring treat

Akwa, I've never done and can't really visualize these two items you've mentioned. Would you please elaborate a little more? A photo would speak volumes if you have any. I don't know the word "siphons" to understand that dessert, would you please define/explain the word? Thank you.

excuse my ignorance... by "spoon mounted" I first thought you meant top the gelee with whatever, dropped from a spoon. But then "spoons can be pre-mounted on sheet trays"... huh? sorry, i don't follow 

I'm pretty sure akwa means that you are serving the gelee on the spoon. A spoon is the base of each petits.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Sorry for the confusion

Simdelish

re preparation, I dont know where you are located, but have you considered contacting your local cooking school to ask for some kitchen space?

Generally very helpful, might even give you some stagiares, but for sure you will have all the equipment and more, particularly large items like batch freezer.

Re sifons, you can find anywhere or shipped easily, and you can fill to order and refill if necessary. Do you have a budget?

re spoon mounted, i meant making petits on a spoon, like a canape or "morphing" to use the parlance of our times

agar agar i use 2.6g for 500ml as a base recipe. if you want to be more stiff you can of course use more. if you are using alcohol or acidity, make sure that the texture is as firm as you want, as both of these will have a debilitating effect.

Wendy

I am sorry to not have good photos anymore.

Pate de fruit, cut into 2x2cm squares, hollowed out with a 10 parisienne or melon baller, and refilled with something. I have had good sucess with an emulsion of the scraps with 60% their weight in evoo, honey, yogurt (that's 20% weight of scraps each).

re shots of lemon mousse

procede as lemon curd, subbing egg whites for yolks,

siphon is the name of whipped cream machine

shot glass, lemon mousse, dark brown sugar sprinkled on top, fresh micro basil

good color, round taste, great aroma

hope this is helpful

Thanks all, for the great suggestions. I now have a nice file on this subject.

Just thought I'd check in P&B for a sec, and update you on things.

As of 3 days ago, the rsvp list jumped to 800, then the next day 1000, and as of yesterday(Thurs) afternoon it was at 1350 -- and that was still 48 hours out!The city has now said they will close down the block to traffic, as the party is expected to take over the whole block. :shock:

My chef also asked on Wed for my full menu for the restaurant as well. I actually didn't intend on finishing that (or even worrying about it!) until after this party. (I did ask him "How long did you work on YOUR menu?" :wink: He reluctantly admitted 8 months, so I said "and I get 24 hours???") So that was yesterday's distraction...but I got it done.

Needless to say, but my game plan for the opening party has changed its direction just a tad. Right now I've got about 2000 things completed, and in the next 24 hours, hopefully another 1000 pieces will be finished. Not quite the complex goodies I had in mind, and still having to do this out of my home, and with a very limited number of sheet pans which I keep having to shuffle and re-use, and schlep things back and forth between my house and the restaurant, which is still surrounded by construction trucks :angry: (which makes it all take 10 times as long to do everything!), but at least I'll have something sweet for guests to nibble on. At this point, it's whatever I can do, and what I can't, I can't worry about. Just say a little eG prayer for me!

will try to check back in on Sunday, and report how things went.

Thanks again friends!

Thanks for the update simdelish and good luck with your big last push for this weekend. Sending some good wishes your way. :smile:

Edited by ludja (log)