• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DIGEST: Western Canada Eating News

The Globe and Mail

Friday, February 24 edition

• The 100-mile gourmet – Chef Andrea Carlson of Raincity Grill reinforces her commitment to locally sourced ingredients by introducing a five-course tasting menu that uses "only foods -- and wine -- that are grown, raised or processed within a 100-mile radius of the restaurant." (Alexandra Gill)

The Vancouver Courier

Sunday, February 26 edition

• Tips on what to taste at the Wine Festival – Tim Pawsey gives us a heads-up on "the wine world's best and brightest" attending this year's Festival.
  • Burrito biz booming – Together with partner Tracy Huang, Tony Riviera realizes his three-year-old dream of opening a Mexican fast-food restaurant in Vancouver with plans to open outlets across the country. (Heike Kilian)

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Vancouver Magazine

March 2005 edition

• Diner: Main Attraction – Habit and Aurora lead the culinary charge on Main Street. (Jamie Maw)
  • King of Crabs – Jamie Maw keeps a'carapace of this delectable crustacean at Sun Sui Wah.
  • Main Street Restaurants: Eat! Eat! Eat! – Jamie Maw proffers this laundry lists of dining spots.

The Vancouver Courier

Wednesday, March 1 edition

• Landmark a hot spot for hot pot – At this Cambie Street eatery, "[h]ot pot is the main event... with every table equipped with handy built-in burners, ready to house the ying and yang pot, divided between a gently spicy satay soup and clear chicken based broth." (Tim Pawsey)
  • "S&W Pepper House... hidden away in Burnaby's Crystal Mall, just west of Metrotown... [is a] no-nonsense, busy spot with... hearty mainland fare and generous plates..." (Tim Pawsey)
  • SunLock Garden serves Mandarin fare in the former Vong's Kitchen spot on Fraser Street. (Tim Pawsey)

The Georgia Straight

Thursday, March 2 edition

The Westender

Thursday, March 2 edition (Lifestyles section)

• Chocoatl's all about the buzz – Andrew Morrison satisfies his sweet tooth at Yaletown's newest spot for a chocolate fix.

The Globe and Mail

Friday, March 3 edition

• An easy habit to break – Alexandra Gill lambasts Main Street's Habit as "a lame place on Main that falls far below the plain."
  • Feenie is just fine – Alexandra Gill notes Edwyn Kumar's departure from Nu and return to Lumière Restaurant and Feenie's Bistro.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

The Vancouver Courier

Saturday, March 4 edition

• Wine should be good, clean and fair – "Cioppino owner Pino Posteraro talks wine and food with Slow Food proponent and winery president Vincenzo Ercolino, visiting from Italy." (Tim Pawsey)
  • After a 20-year tenancy, the Okanagan Wine Shop on Granville Island was forced to close its doors by landlord CHMC.

Edited to correct a formatting inconsistency.

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

The Vancouver Courier

Wednesday, March 8 edition

• DinnerWorks makes cooking a no-brainer – Tim Pawsey scopes the lay of the land at Vancouver's Home Meal Replacement "equivalent of U-Brew or U-Vin. Somebody else comes up with the ideas, the planning, the expertise, the kitchen-and even the clean-up. All you have to do is commit the time to prepare some or even all of the meals you might need, say, for a two or four week period."

Joie Alvaro Kent

The Vancouver Courier

Friday, March 10 edition

• Chocolate to die for – Tim Pawsey indulges at Chocoatl, "which is already luring purists from afar for its immense array of Mexican-inspired, delightfully esoteric tastes, many made with infused ingredients-and all with unbridled passion."
  • Wine of the Week – Taylor's 20-Year-Old Tawny Port (Tim Pawsey)

The Georgia Straight

Thursday, March 9 edition

The Westender

Thursday, March 9 edition (Lifestyles section)

• Chilly reception at cool Kits wine bar – Andrew Morrison recounts a tale of an uninspired evening at Vintropolis.

The Globe and Mail

Friday, March 10 edition

• Hey, Che, it's a new Century – "The restaurant really is gorgeous. The service is excellent. The kitchen shows promise. And eventually, the people will decide if it succeeds or fails. Somehow, I think Che would approve." (Alexandra Gill)

Joie Alvaro Kent

The Vancouver Courier

Wednesday, March 15 edition

• Frenzied wine fest's ups and downs – Tim Pawsey runs through some of the standout bottles from last week's event.

The Georgia Straight

Thursday, March 16 edition

Edited by Mooshmouse (log)

Joie Alvaro Kent

The Globe and Mail

Friday, March 17 edition

• West Van's adult-only cool – Alexandra Gill tags the Ocean Club successful in "filling a void and attracting all ages, given that tonight's clientele ranges from about 25 to 65..." but won't be rushing back any time soon.

Joie Alvaro Kent

The Vancouver Courier

Friday, March 17 edition

• Contests showcase young culinary talents – Industry up-and-comers recently strutted their stuff at The Fetzer Great Beginnings Appetizer Challenge and the Quady Dessert Competition. (Tim Pawsey)
  • Tim Pawsey declares that, "dollar for dollar, [Delilah's] puts some of the best food on the plate anywhere-particularly the large dinner ($38), which competes well with many a more high-profile room."

Joie Alvaro Kent

The Vancouver Courier

Friday, March 17 edition

Joie Alvaro Kent

The Vancouver Courier

Friday, March 24 edition

• Modern izakaya meets West Coast tapas – Tim Pawsey discovers that "Vancouver's love affair with izakaya continues to bloom" at 1215, the new home of Master Chef Takahiro Toyoshige (Shige).

The Georgia Straight

Thursday, March 23 edition

The Westender

Thursday, March 23 edition (Lifestyles section)

• Glutton for punishment? Come join us in the kitchen – "If Hurricane Olympic blew into town tomorrow, we'd get flattened. I'm not kidding. Thousands of kitchen vacancies are on the immediate horizon (11,500 tourism jobs are forecasted to be available by 2015), and we're going to need the whole gamut, from line cooks to pastry chefs, if we hope to weather the coming storm." (Andrew Morrison)
  • Foodie Q&A: Dubrulle kingpin says 'no' to burgers – Profile of Michael F. Nenes, educator and Assistant Vice President (Culinary Arts) for Education Management Corporation, owners of the Art Institute of Vancouver's Dubrulle School of Culinary Arts.
  • My Brilliant Career – Rob Feenie offers some insight on his culinary education.

The Globe and Mail

Friday, March 24 edition

• Chiles, chocolate and more – "There once was a time, not many moons ago, when an authentic Mexican mole sauce was almost impossible to find in Vancouver. Oh, how the chilies have changed. In the past year or so, at least half a dozen Mexican and Latin-inspired eateries have opened in these formerly bland parts." (Alexandra Gill)

Joie Alvaro Kent

The Vancouver Courier

Thursday, March 30 edition

• Taking it to the winery – "The organizational glue behind the Doobie Brothers, Bruce Cohn wisely invested money in a California winery when he was 22... And the rest is history." (Tim Pawsey)

The Georgia Straight

• Best Eating: Habit mixes the hip with the homey – "The rec-room chic of Habit’s décor displays plenty of cool design, but the payoff comes in dishes that offer bold new approaches to some comforting old favourites." (Angela Murrills)
  • Best Eating: Vancouver food policy council under threat – "[P]opular [farmers] markets are just the front lines in a high-stakes battle for urban food security brewing at Vancouver City Hall this month." (Pietra Woolley)
  • Uncorked: Putting budget pinots through their paces – An overview of Jurgen Gothe's tasting notes of a dozen pinots at the sub-$15 mark.
  • At the Checkout: Punjab Food Centre, 6635 Main Street (Carolyn Ali)
  • Food of the Week: Salt Spring Coffee Company – This island-born company celebrates its tenth birthday by opening its first Vancouver café on Main Street. (Angela Murrills)
  • Straight Goods: Food block – "Newly opened Smoking Crust (4027 MacDonald Street) joins a tasty block of eateries..." (Judith Lane and Angela Murrills)
  • Straight Goods: Java jolt – "There’s a new spirit in town, and Van Gogh Espresso Vodka, the first and only naturally infused espresso-flavoured vodka on the market, sports a wicked espresso aroma and bite, a smooth just-right balance of coffee bitterness, and the requisite caffeine jolt." (Judith Lane and Angela Murrills)
  • Straight Goods: Petal pushers – Sample the fruit-and-flower combinations of Petals shortbread. (Judith Lane and Angela Murrills)
  • Academic spirits – The Alma Mater Society Minischool’s 2006 Wine and Beer Festival is being held on Friday, March 31 at UBC's Student Union Building.
  • Java jive – Don't miss three-parter Black Coffee and punk-rockin’ Food Jammers, premiering April 3 and 5 respectively on Knowledge Network. (Judith Lane and Angela Murrills)
  • Vite, vite – The French-passport dining program ends on April 15. (Judith Lane and Angela Murrills)
  • Fresh tastes – Chef Chris Moran rolls out his spring-summer menu at Trafalgars. (Judith Lane and Angela Murrills)
  • Country matters – Vista d'Oro Farms reopens with a new cooking-class schedule. (Judith Lane and Angela Murrills)

The Westender

Thursday, March 30 edition (Lifestyles section)

• Great food and greater service at Abigail's Party – "There's a party in my mouth, and everyone's invited! But seriously. Sous-chef Claire Cameron and chef Ian Reynolds know how to make their menu sing at Abigail's Party in Kitsilano." (Andrew Morrison)
  • Foodie Q&A: Pass the Haut Brion, Quentin – Profile of Sebastien Le Goff, restaurant director and sommelier at CinCin Ristorante."

The Globe and Mail

Friday, March 24 edition

Joie Alvaro Kent

The Vancouver Courier

Friday, March 31 edition

• Broadway's breakfasts fit for a champ – "There's no denying that breakfast with a capital B is the main event [at the Broadway Grill]. And B also stands for Benny. This is serious Eggs Benedict country." (Tim Pawsey)
  • Sean Heather, one of Vancouver's busiest restaurateurs, is slated to open Salt in late May. (Tim Pawsey)

Joie Alvaro Kent

• 2 weeks later...

Vancouver Magazine

March 2005 edition

• Diner: The Big O – A table-by-table search for the province’s most satisfying molluscs. (Jamie Maw)

The Vancouver Courier

Wednesday, April 12 edition

• World's biggest wine company set to buy Canada's biggest wine company – "Vincor CEO Don Triggs... hasn't announced his next move since Constellation's offer to buy the company last week. " (Tim Pawsey)
  • Tim Pawsey prounounces his picks from Fosters Southcorp's annual portfolio tasting at the Vancouver International Film Centre.

The Georgia Straight

The Westender

Thursday, April 13 edition (Lifestyles section)

• Exotic mix keeps savvy diners coming back to Monsoon – "Eight years into the game, I find Monsoon still gorgeous and commendably capable. Still, even if its new menu is something laurel-rested chefs might want to peek at, the restaurant will never register as one of our better ones if it doesn't improve its half-assed beverage program." (Andrew Morrison)

The Globe and Mail

Friday, April 14 edition

• A tasty, timely rebirth – "More than just a few new dishes, this menu marks a shift in concept -- one long overdue -- that clearly distinguishes the Tasting Bar as a fully conceived third dining destination in Feenie's West Broadway triumvirate." (Alexandra Gill)

Joie Alvaro Kent

The Vancouver Courier

Monday, April 17 edition

• Passion absent at West Van bistro – On his visit to Bistro 1734, Tim Pawsey found that, "omehow, despite the courteous and correct service and mostly well executed cuisine, there just wasn't the passion on the plate or the animation that we anticipated."
  • Tickets are still available for Sandra Oldfield's Tinhorn Creek winemaker's dinner at Fiddlehead Joe's on April 19.

Joie Alvaro Kent

• 2 weeks later...

The Vancouver Courier

Wednesday, April 26 edition

• Naramata matures as wine destination – "One thing we appreciate about the bench is its collection of strong-willed characters, which results in a wide array of styles and ideas that propels what must surely be the province's most determined of small regions." (Tim Pawsey)

The Georgia Straight

Thursday, April 27 edition

• Best Eating: New Tomato cookbook shares juicy secrets – "Tomato Café chef James Campbell and owners Christian Gaudreault and Star Spilos serve 'nonpretentious' food..." (Angela Murrills)
  • Uncorked: Local festivals let slip the dogs of wine – Jurgen Gothe runs through a whole slew of upcoming wine events.
  • Recipe: Oven-roasted Lemon Rosemary Chicken
  • Drink of the Week: Brahma (Jurgen Gothe)
  • Straight Goods: Le buck et le wingChefs on Tap, held this Tuesday, May 2 at Provence Mediterranean Grill on West 10th, raises funds for the Les Dames d'Escoffier scholarship fund. (Judith Lane and Angela Murrills)
  • Straight Goods: Cheese, louise – The newly opened Les Amis du Fromage in Park Royal is already popular with North-shore residents. (Judith Lane and Angela Murrills)
  • Straight Goods: Bloody good deal – Until May 15, Morton's Steakhouse offers a $109 Dinner For Two special. (Judith Lane and Angela Murrills)
  • Tofu time – This week on City Cooks, "local chefs like Tojo, Peter Fong of Ganache Patisserie, and Mosaic’s Chad Minton cook cheesecake, pizza, and more from their recipes in Vancouver Chefs Take on Tofu..." (Judith Lane and Angela Murrills)
  • Dishy potluck – "On Wednesday (May 3), the Girls Who Dish!, a group of local chefs, are launching the first of four Celebrity Chef Potluck Dinners to benefit the Potluck Café Society, a charity that aids Downtown Eastside residents through meal programs and employment-training opportunities." (Judith Lane and Angela Murrills)
  • Reopening soon – "Tamarind Indian Bistro (1626 West Broadway) is still cookin’, but Shaffeen Jamal’s spicy eatery is shut for major renos until June. In the meantime, you can still do takeout, and it’ll do delivery." (Judith Lane and Angela Murrills)

The Westender

Thursday, April 27 edition (Lifestyles section)

• It's hard to digest many restaurants' music choices – "Admittedly, I'm not an arbiter of what makes for music both good and bad in restaurants (I realize one man's Mozart is one woman's Metallica), but questions of taste are irrelevant with regard to how I've come to loathe most of what I hear while dining out." (Andrew Morrison)
  • Pass the perogies and the cold vodka, Mr. Segal – Profile of Tatjana Burakova, owner, chef, waitress and dishwasher at Ukrainian Village Restaurant.

The Globe and Mail

Friday, April 28 edition

• Shining still, moon and all – "If you've ever wondered why Vancouver is often ridiculed as a "no-fun" city, look no further than Moonshine, soon to be renamed Six Acres." (Alexandra Gill)

Joie Alvaro Kent

The Vancouver Courier

Saturday, April 29 edition

• Tomato Café still about 'good for you' food – "Organic, fresh and seasonal are trendy buzzwords these days but Tomato's approach has always been to do more than talk the talk..." as evidenced in the newly released cookbook, As Fresh as it Gets-Everyday Recipes from the Tomato Fresh Food Café. (Tim Pawsey)

Joie Alvaro Kent

The Vancouver Courier

Wednesday, May 3 edition

• Summer's coming and the sippin' is easy – "As the temperature edges upwards, thoughts turn to the wines of summer: lighter bodied reds, fruity, picnic-friendly rosés and crisp, clean, unoaked whites for sippin' and fishin'?" (Tim Pawsey)

Joie Alvaro Kent

• 2 weeks later...

Vancouver Magazine

May 2005 edition

• The 17th Annual Vancouver Magazine Restaurant Awards.

The Vancouver Courier

Friday, May 12 edition

• Greek cooking that's a cut above the norm – "Owners Julia and Bobby Bonofas make sure diners eat well and inexpensively at [Kerkis,] their West Fourth restaurant." (Tim Pawsey)
  • Though the doors have shut on the Ordinary Café, devotées of Dennis Huang's cooking can still enjoy his fare at the Gramercy Grill.
  • "Elixir chef Don Letendre promises "plenty of surprises" for his June 22 Duckhorn wine dinner."

The Georgia Straight

Thursday, May 11 edition

• Best Eating: Megamarket offers Asian-food favourites – Robson and Seymour's new H-Mart is the downtown destination of choice for those in search of tasty treats from the East. (Angela Murrills)
  • Uncorked: A chardonnay a day keeps the blues at bay – "If you were to set yourself the challenge of drinking a different Chardonnay every day, from what’s currently available here in British Columbia, you could never keep up. Can’t be done—probably not even if you decided to drink two a day." (Jurgen Gothe)
  • Food of the Week: Coast – No more dilly-dallying if you hope to score a reservation for Mothers' Day Brunch.
  • Drink of the Week: O – "That’s it—just O, as in “ohh!” or eau, ’cause it’s only water." (Jurgen Gothe)
  • Straight Goods: Looking inward – "Billed as a “simply offal” event, the Gutsy Affair at Elixir... on Monday (May 15) takes you gastronomically where the sun doesn’t shine..." (Judith Lane and Angela Murrills)
  • Straight Goods: Country roads – "Get a taste of summer at Vista D’oro Farms’ reopening party... this Saturday (May 13, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.)." (Judith Lane and Angela Murrills)
  • Straight Goods: Truck on down – This year's Granville Island Farmers Market first opens for business at 9:00 a.m. this Thursday, May 11 and runs weekly until fall. (Judith Lane and Angela Murrills)
  • Treat her right – Boom now if you're hoping to get a spot for Mothers' Day Brunch at Trafalgars Bistro. (Judith Lane and Angela Murrills)
  • Fact – Fiction offers a $15 dinner special on Sundays and Mondays until June 21. (Judith Lane and Angela Murrills)
  • Bottom's up – "Vancouver’s Garnish Girls (www.garnishgirls.com/), Alejandra Parra, Danielle Tatarin, and Tina Pelletier, have won the Canadian Youth Business Foundation’s 2006 B.C. Best Business Award." (Judith Lane and Angela Murrills)
  • The write stuff – "Notorious carnivore Anthony Bourdain is back in town on June 11 with a new book, The Nasty Bits (Raincoast Books, $29.95) for a CBC Radio Studio One Book Club at the Yale Hotel." (Judith Lane and Angela Murrills)
  • Not getting any? – "Doors open at 11 a.m. sharp Saturday (May 13), at Marquis Wine Cellars (1034 Davie Street), but keeners will be on-line hours earlier to get their quota of in-demand wines from two B.C. wineries." (Judith Lane and Angela Murrills)

The Westender

Thursday, May 11 edition (Lifestyles section)

• Ocean 6 Seventeen raises standard of waterfront dining – New at the helm, Chef/Co-Owner Sean Cousins elevates the culinary bar at this under-the-radar Stamps Landing eatery. (Andrew Morrison)
  • No adventure's complete without BBQ ribs and tequila – Profile of "'Chef Ted Reader, owner of King of the Q and Teddy's Island BBQ restaurants, located on the beach in Playa Cofresi, Dominican Republic; host and producer of King of the Q Grilling Adventures; and owner of Toronto-based catering company WeHateCatering.com.' Reader is in town this week to promote Maille's new Sweet & Mild sauce."

The Globe and Mail

Friday, May 12 edition

• Beat a retreat to a waterfront hideaway – Alexandra Gill surveys the lay of the land at Ocean 6 Seventeen, a "surprising little bistro where the room is warm, the service is friendly, the cooking is simple yet robust, and the location is slightly off the beaten track. It's almost like a secret hideaway."

Joie Alvaro Kent

The Vancouver Courier

Wednesday, May 17 edition

• Beaumes' dessert wine more of a spritzer – "The steep pitches of Beaumes de Venise are home to vines that produce Cotes-du-Rhone's most recognized dessert wine." (Tim Pawsey)
  • Sweeping concessions – "A new report approved by the parks board May 1 recommends changes to the way Vancouver's waterfront concessions are run, including the complete privatization of food operations on the city's beaches along an 'entrepreneurial' system." (Sandra Thomas)

The Georgia Straight

Thursday, May 18 edition

• Best Eating: Local farmers markets get bigger and better – "The cycle begins with tiny salad greens, continues through virile asparagus and juicy peaches, and concludes with dried walnuts. If you’re in a thoughtful mood, a year in the life of a farmers market looks a lot like a fast-forward version of life." (Angela Murrills)
  • Food of the Week: Mistral – "Well, it’s not the Promenade des Anglais (more the Promenade des SUVs), but lunch on the recently opened patio at Mistral... does inspire Southern French fantasies." (Angela Murrills)
  • Straight Goods: Sweet artChocolaTas chocolate-design contest closes to entries on May 19.(Judith Lane and Angela Murrills)
  • Straight Goods: Enough to drive one to drink – Gastown's Moonshine has a new alias in Six Acres. (Judith Lane and Angela Murrills)
  • Straight Goods: Fiddlehead fix – "If you’re jonesing for fiddleheads, this wild veggie is in season now and all over the menu at Fiddlehead Joe’s..." (Judith Lane and Angela Murrills)

The Westender

Thursday, May 18 edition (Lifestyles section)

• 'The Big Five' lead Vancouver's cocktail renaissance – "Each of the following restaurants come stocked with visionary bartenders who have been given the freedom of a long leash to dream up swoon-inducing drinks that are built to sip and savour, dispensing sage benedictions by the glass. I only wish there were more of them." (Andrew Morrison)
  • London's bartender to the stars teaches the world the cocktail art – "Ostensibly here to extol the virtues of Bombay Sapphire gin, for which he is 'global brand ambassador,' [Jamie] Walker... passed through the city recently also to discuss the evolving art of the cocktail, and his status as one of Britain's most famous bartenders (or, so his peers increasingly prefer, 'mixologists')." (Michael White)

Joie Alvaro Kent

• 4 weeks later...

Vancouver Magazine

June 2006 edition

• To Live and Dine in West Van: Long starved for choice as a dining destination, West Van has undergone a culinary awakening – "The Ocean Club follows a scheme of exciting décor that plays a restrained culinary hand: flavoursome food, but safe. Rare One is its diametric opposite: sleekly decorated but hardly avant-garde. Here the risk-taking is in the kitchen and the music is on the plate." (Jamie Maw)

The Vancouver Courier

Friday, June 9 edition

• Crave sets tongues wagging – The fare at Chef Wayne Martin's new Main Street digs is "unabashed, contemporary bistro: eclectic, modern tastes, soundly prepared by someone whose ability has been honed to execute plates above and beyond the norm with deliberate understatement. There's no pretence-just focused, often organic flavours that are thoughtfully conceived and pleasingly presented." (Tim Pawsey)
  • James Iranzad "is gearing up to reopen the former Living Room space as an energized salute to hawker fare, with wide ranging, Asian small plates from chef Tina Fineza (ex Bin 942). Look for Flying Tiger to open in late June."
  • "During the entire month of June, Pacific Institute of Culinary Arts is offering a Senior's Discount Tuesday through Saturday... 50% off the 3-course lunch or dinner, and Seafood Buffet."

The Georgia Straight

Thursday, June 8 edition

• Best Eating: Papi's Ristorante keeps the Iaci name cooking – "Chef Ken Iaci has paid his dues in the restaurant business, which he entered at age 24. But he still works the stoves at Papi’s Ristorante Italiano every night." (Judith Lane)
  • Travel softens crusty chef's many reservations – "Contrary to his obnoxious reputation, Anthony Bourdain remains humble when he travels the world, and tries new food without passing judgment." (John Burns)
  • Uncorked: A six-pack of whites for a summer blender – "Not that there’s anything wrong with drinking Chardonnays, but creative blends that bring together different grape varieties for different flavour properties tend to be just more…interesting." (Jurgen Gothe)
  • Food of the Week: Jang Mo Jib (Angela Murrills)
  • Drink of the Week: Bitburger Premium Beer (Jurgen Gothe)
  • Straight Goods: Fuel – "Kudos to owners Bud and Dottie Kanke and the Joe Fortes team who raised $13,000 for the B.C. Professional Fire Fighters’ Burn Fund..." (Judith Lane)
  • Straight Goods: Wine on – Since opening on May 31, there's been a steady stream of customers through the doors of Liberty Wine Merchants' new Granville Island location. (Judith Lane)
  • Straight Goods: Grape spot – "With 20-plus wines by the glass, a tapas-only menu, a 4 p.m. opening time, and a handy location in the downtown core, Unwine’d (1180 Howe Street) might be just the ticket for after-work R&R." (Judith Lane)
  • Saude – "Raise a glass of Gazela or port this June and toast saudé (“good health”) to the 40,000 Greater Vancouverites of Portuguese descent celebrating Portuguese Heritage Month." (Judith Lane)
  • Fish on – Warmer weather brings with it summer hours for the fine folks at Go Fish, now open from 11:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. daily. (Judith Lane)
  • Magnetic east – Chef Wayne Martin's Crave is the latest addition to Main Street's dining scene. (Judith Lane)
  • Dilly deli – Newly opened Zako's Deli is West Broadway's newest purveyor of smoked meat. (Judith Lane)

The Westender

Thursday, June 8 edition (Lifestyles section)

• The man who came to dinner, all over the world – "Anthony Bourdain has described himself at various times, and always without shame, as an abnormally lucky man; a chef of considerable but not exceptional skill ("not Superchef") who acquired exceptional culinary fame despite having been an arrogant, reckless punk, a drug addict and, occasionally, a petty criminal." (Michael White)
  • Shaky service disrupts Shiru-Bay's smooth vibe – "Yaletown's Shiru-Bay Chopstick Cafe has attracted a steady clientele with its inventive 'izakaya'-style menu and funky interior. Its service, however, is a work in progress." (Andrew Morrison)

The Globe and Mail

Friday, June 9 edition

• Maritime treat along the seawall – At Fiddlehead Joe's, Alexandra Gill samples the namesake fare and other dishes from Chef Jason Mallof's "magical spring menu of seasonal comfort foods, sourced from regional ingredients with an emphasis on sustainability."

Joie Alvaro Kent