• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Gardens

Tarragon, marjoram, sage, tricolor sage, Italian parsley, salad burnet, spearmint, lemon verbena, lemon balm, garlic chives, chives, oregano, rosemary, Thai, Genovese, Holy and Purple Ruffle basil, nastursiums, several kinds of tomtoes, lots of flowers and a few chile plants is about it for me this year. I'll be traveling alot this summer, but I must have my kitchen garden. I want to try saffron bulbs one of these years and I'm going to get a kaffir lime tree that I'll bring inside in the fall.

Being in Zone 5 with nothing more than a west-facing apartment balcony...

CharityCase,

You should investigate community gardens.

I have a tiny back yard that gets no light, so do most of my vegetable and herb gardening in a local community garden. It's a great opportunity to meet people in your neighborhood, grow vegetables, trade seeds, etcetera, usually at a very low cost and a little extra work.

Good luck with the tomatoes!

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I second the community garden suggestion. I am planting a plot in our community garden for the first time this year, and I'm so glad that I did. I too have only a balconey, and this offers me the opportunity to grow so much more than herbs and houseplants.

Furthermore, it's a great way to connect to your community. I've already had a delightful time sharing tips and ideas with both first-time and seasoned gardeners. A good way to socialize and learn while growing your own bounty.

Here's what I'm growing in the community plot:

-radishes (several kinds, mostly as companion plants)

-carrots (3 varieties; 2 orange and one purple)

-beets (Chioggia, Detriot red, and Golden)

-pole beans (2 heirloom varieties)

-nasturtiums

-pickling cukes (not yet planted; this weekend!)

-tomatos (also to be planted this weekend)

-lotsa herbs: marjoram, lemon balm, basil (Greek and Genovese), chives, dill, sage.

-calendula: for skin preparations (and for pretty)

-poppies: just for pretty

On the balconey in containers:

-4 boxes of various greens (heat-resistant arugula in 2, in the other 2, different mixes as the whim strikes me and according to the weather)

-yet more basil

-purple sage (because it's tasty AND purty)

-spearmint

-thyme

-big rosemary bush (from last year; it's enormous)

Whew, I think that's it.

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.

My big garden in the field behind my home HAD a large number of squash, multiple tomatoes, cucumbers of different varieties, carrots, onions, tomatillos and several varieties of peppers.

Yesterday, while I was at work (70 miles away) and my neighbors who overlook the field had gone to LAX to pick up one of their sons who is home from Iraq, several people on ATVs vandalized the field. They broke down a fence to get in and must have spent several hours tearing around, knocking down trellis, plants and even breaking up the watering system and broke several of the panels on the greenhouses.

When I got home yesterday evening and found out what had happened I was sick.

I couldn't even sign on to eG.

The sheriffs that came out to take the report said that there have been several similar happenings but they have no clue who is doing it.

Another neighbor saw a couple of the 4-wheelers down the street but said they were so covered with mud and dust she couldn't even tell what color they were and the riders were wearing the helmets with the blacked out face shields. She said the ones she saw were too big to be just kids.

They also broke into the shed belonging to my neighbors and stole a couple of expensive bicycles and some power tools.

I simply can't understand why someone would do this just for kicks. It is the act of someone who has the intelligence of pond scum. They were smart enough to cut the lines to the transformer powering the electric fence (to keep animals out).

My gardeners are out there today, trying to clean it up but it is going to take a lot of time and money to fix the watering system. Fortunately they couldn't get into the well house (they tried to pry the lock off the door) otherwise my well may have been damaged also.

I had a crop of mustard that would have been ready to harvest in a week or so.

Sometimes I really despise those ATVs because it seems when people get on them, all their common sense leaks right out of their heads.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

...several people on ATVs vandalized the field...When I got home yesterday evening and found out what had happened I was sick. 

I'm so sorry to hear this! That is just awful. I know I have a hard enough time exercising "tough love" in my garden, and am furious when passers by injure or vandalize the plants growing in the window boxes in front of my house.

You have my sympathy. Please take care and try not to get too frustrated and be glad no one was injured. At least, with gardens, there is always next season.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Oh, nooo! Andiesenji, I'm so sorry that happened to you! How awful!

(It's enough to make one want to defend the garden perimeter with punji sticks, isn't it??)

Is there a repair or an addition you can do during this devastation period? Something that will add to the garden - like an earth-level fountain surrounded by stones (the top of my personal wish list). My thinking is that if one returns to the level one had before, imperfections are more obvious, as well as lengthening the grieving for the what-should-have-been but never was. If there is an improvement, then the devastation sets the stage for something new and better.

I hope this doesn't sound pollyanna............I am so very sorry your sanctum was violated!

How are you doing today?

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

You should investigate community gardens.

I have a tiny back yard that gets no light, so do most of my vegetable and herb gardening in a local community garden.  It's a great opportunity to meet people in your neighborhood, grow vegetables, trade seeds, etcetera, usually at a very low cost and a little extra work.

I second the community garden suggestion. I am planting a plot in our community garden for the first time this year, and I'm so glad that I did. I too have only a balconey, and this offers me the opportunity to grow so much more than herbs and houseplants.

Furthermore, it's a great way to connect to your community. I've already had a delightful time sharing tips and ideas with both first-time and seasoned gardeners. A good way to socialize and learn while growing your own bounty.

Yes, yes, yes!! I cannot say enough about community gardens.

I got lucky and the apartment I rented when I arrived in Boston was a block away from a community garden. After leaving my beloved backyard herb and kitchen garden behind in St. Louis, MO, it not only gave me a place to get my hands in the dirt--cheaper than therapy--but also to meet neighbors who have since become good friends. And this was before it had a souce of water--imagine hauling enough water for tomatoes and zucchini...Now, I own a condo with a backyard that's in deep shade. Hostas and more hostas, if you know what I mean. Luckily, I moved less than a mile away and still have a plot in the garden, now blessed with water, infinitely easier.

Since until only two weeks ago we were still wearing wool around here, I've only just gotten the warm weather plants and seeds in. Our season around here is short. In addition to all the perennial herbs, the new plantings include:

- pole beans, a very space efficient way of planning green beans;

- several heirloom cherry tomatoes. for some reason, I'll pay a premium at my farmer's market for the big guys, but I resent paying for the cherries.

- arugula, which grows quickly in small spaces, just keep replanting and you'll have the tastiest baby argula you can imagine;

- a patch of basil--I scatter a packet each of genovese basil and opal (red) basil into a small area. Pinch what you need for dinner, but regularly harvest the genovese basil for batches of pesto. The red I like for garnish and for making my garden beautiful.

- nasturtiums, an edible flower that is also lovely;

Speaking of flowers, a few flowers are good to have around not only for being pretty but for helping to pollinate the tomatoes, beans, etc. This year I put in a small trellis of sweet peas, fragant and pretty.

Oh, nooo!  Andiesenji, I'm so sorry that happened to you!  How awful!

(It's  enough to make one want to defend the garden perimeter with punji sticks, isn't it??)

Is there a repair or an addition you can do during this devastation period?  Something that will add to the garden - like an earth-level fountain surrounded by stones (the top of my personal wish list).  My thinking is that if one returns to the level one had before, imperfections are more obvious, as well as lengthening the grieving for the what-should-have-been but never was.  If there is an improvement, then the devastation sets the stage for something new and better.

I hope this doesn't sound pollyanna............I am so very sorry your sanctum was violated!

How are you doing today?

This was just a vegetable garden, not the garden next to the house. It is one acre of a 5 acre parcel that has been fenced and graded and the soil amended over the past few years.

The water system, drip-trickle pipes, was PVC pipes just under the surface with heads spaced out that had radiating tubes attached to deliver water directly to the plant roots. Apparently they used a hook or something similar to pull the pipes right out of the ground and break them in addition to running over almost all the heads. They also broke the main assembly where all the different areas come together and since the water was on, it made a huge mud patch before my neighbors got home and turned the water off.

This afternoon my gardeners found that they had also damaged my auxillary generator. The sheriffs got some boot and hand prints off of it and are hopeful now they can identify the perps.

That is going to be costly to repair.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

This afternoon my gardeners found that they had also damaged my auxillary generator.  The sheriffs got some boot and hand prints off of it and are hopeful now they can identify the perps. 

That is going to be costly to repair.

I hope they do catch the perps, and make the perps pay for and/or help with the repairs. Paying is the hard part, often, but some community service - starting with fixing what they messed up - might benefit them as well as you. It really fries me to see people destroying what others have built, or making messes others have to clean up (don't get me started on littering). My Pollyanna side keeps thinking that if they experienced some of the work, they'd stop being such pigs. My Marvin side thinks that's probably too much to hope for.

My new seedlings are supposed to be getting their hardening-in-to-the-new-home period - a few hours out in the sun, then back inside. There has been no direct sun for the last few days. Between my schedule away from home and the large Siberian Husky running around outside, the only place for those plants is on the deck, on a picnic table, out of reach. Still, they look good. Horseradish, tomatoes, peppers, thymes, rosemaries, parsleys. I thought I'd ordered tarragon, but I must have decided to get it locally. If it stops raining tomorrow, I'm planting.

My sorrel is coming up! My sorrel is coming up!! First sorrel panade of the season is just around the corner! :wub:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

My sorrel is already seeding and I am cutting seed stalks every day. It is in the small garden next to the house. It seeds itself all over the place if I don't keep up with it.

I made some dolma using the sorrel as wraps, instead of grape leaves, and the lemony flavor really sparked the flavor. I simply steamed the leaves for a couple of minutes and removed only the largest center ribs.

I have made two batches of carrot/sorrel soup so far. Again, the lemony flavor of the sorrel counteracts the very sweet flavor of the carrots and makes a wonderful soup, hot or cold, that I serve in mugs as a starter.

Carrot/sorrel soup sounds pretty good. Do you have a recipe you'd be willing to share?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Here it is.

This is also one of the soups I prepare in the Vita-Mix blender

I saute the onion and ginger in a little oil first and add it after the carrots and sorrel.

Carrot/Sorrel/Ginger Soup

Serves: 6 to 8

2 tablespoons canola or light olive oil

3/4 cup chopped onion or half onion/half shallots

1 1/2 tablespoons grated or minced fresh ginger

4 cups shredded carrots, firmly packed

2 cups chopped sorrel, loosely packed

4 cups vegetable or chicken stock or water

kosher salt and pepper to taste

1/2 cup half and half

chiffonade basil leaves

In a large saucepan or evasee heat the oil over medium heat.

Add the onion and ginger, sauté until the onion is transparent but not browned. Remove the onion/ginger and set aside.

Add the carrots and sauté, stirring often, for about 8 minutes, until the carrots begin to soften.

Add the sorrel and toss with the carrots.

Return the shallot/ginger to the pan, mix well.

Add the stock or water.

Increase heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil then reduce to a simmer.

Cover the pan and simmer for minutes, until the carrots are soft and mash easily with a fork.

Remove the pan from heat and allow to cool until just warm.

Transfer the soup to a blender (blend 2 cups at a time) and strain through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan.

When all has been blended and strained, place over medium heat, stirring constantly until the soup just begins to simmer.

If the soup is quite thick, add a little hot water and blend in.

Stir in the half and half and blend well.

Serve with basil chiffonade scattered on top.

May also be served in mugs with cinnamon toast points on the side as a starter.

Orginal Recipe by Andie

Edited by andiesenji (log)

And how! I actually tried getting a plot this year but the waiting list is long, and I'm almost past the point of no return. I've managed to do quite well for just a balcony but CSAs are definitely where it's at when you're limited in space and exposure.

My wife and I thought we were buying spinach recently at a farmer's market, and were actually buying sorrel. It was quite a shock when we tasted it.

:blink:

A really cool edible dock (sorrel) is Rumex sanguineus or Bloody Dock. It has lovely dark green leaves with red veins and looks great in containers and gardens, even if you don't eat it.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I'm a bit late jumping onto this thread - andiesenji - I hope things are working out with your garden - I'd be sooooo angry - you have my sympathy.

Anyway - since we're in the north, the growing season's a little shorter - thank God for greenhouses - and I don't know of any community gardens in the area. My SO is responsible for food gardening (it's the only way he'll weed), so the food being planted tends to get limited to what he enjoys eating - peas, tomatoes, peppers (hot & bell), strawberries, raspberries, basil, mint, cilantro & beans. The basil is doing excellently well - we're on our 4th batch of pesto - and the tomatoes and peas are flowering like mad. We're not too sure about the fruit beds this year - we had a major cleanout of old plants & canes last year, so are thinking we might not have the same bounty. But oh man it's nice to have fresh pesto again.

Now that the weather's gotten warm enough to plant here, it's hard not to want to plant too much.

One impulse purchase/planting I made was lemongrass. I've never grown it or even cooked with it. But there have been some great Vietnamese food threads here, and I figure this will motivate me. Has anyone ever grown this and have any tips?

Andiesenji- I am so sorry for your garden. What a bunch of jerks!

It has been so cold here in New England that I have held off as late as I can remember for my planting. But, today was the day. I put in the following: Roma tomatoes, early girl tomaotes, supersweet 100's tomatoes, something called mr stripey tomatoes, peas (they probably won't do well), zucchini, red peppers, kale, romaine, arugala, strawberries (too late but my three year old had to have them) and pickling and salad cucumbers. Last year I had more variety but cruciferous vegetables don't seem to like my yard. For the first time I used that black fabric type material to avoid too much weeding. We'll see how it does.

My herb garden is seperate and I did (or already have because they are periennials) lemon balm, spearmint, peppermint, chives, sorrel, dill, parsley, rosemary, lemon thyme, thyme, bay, oregano, anise hyssop, and a ton and a half of basil (Thai and genovese).

The best past about gardening is that I do it with the whole family. We all go to the farm together and pick out the plants and they help (as much as they are able at 10, 7 and 3) plant and pick. I can't wait until I can trust them to weed! They love going to the garden and pulling stuff off to munch with their friends- tomatoes, balckberries, even lettuce- they just help themselves. Almost worse than rabbits!

I finally got an estimate for what it will take to replace the stuff that was destroyed and have the entire acre fenced with chain link with the posts sunk in cement.

The cost is going to run over $7000.00 and only part is covered by insurance. The repairs to the generator will be over $1500. The biggest expense is fence, then the watering system mainly because of the valves and timers.

I haven't even added in the cost of the plants and seeds.

I think I am going to give up on having a garden this year as by the time everything is finished it will be past the time most things can be planted. I didn't start a kitchen garden next to the house this year as I had decided that all the vegetables and fruit should be in the big garden.

Fortunately the ginger patch was not affected, nor was the garlic so I will at least have something to show for this growing season.

Andiesenji - that's awful - again - my heartfelt sympathy. A pox on all their houses.

Goldie - keep us posted on what you think of that black fabric stuff - please? The people who owned the house before us had it down EVERYWHERE and we found it a pain - home for slugs & bugs - and didn't notice much in the way of weed-stopping, it just meant that it was more difficult to bring a garden that had been neglected for 2 years back into line. But, we're thinking the 2 years of neglect may have been the problem, not the black fabric - so - let us know?

...keep us posted on what you think of that black fabric stuff - please?  The people who owned the house before us had it down EVERYWHERE

Want to chime in with a couple problems I've had with the black fabric liners.

The big problem I've had with it is drainage.

Not sure what climate you have in British Columbia; but, here we have two to three months of non-stop rain in the winter. The black fabric stuff I have just doesn't drain fast enough during that period, and bark or other organic mulch used on top will float and wash away, clogging drains and other bad things.

Another problem I've had is related. Some folks recommend using the black fabric in the bottom of containers to prevent soil loss. Again, it does not drain fast enough during the rainy season and water ended up pooling in containers. I lost quite a few plants to root rot this last year before I noticed.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

andiesenji,

may the perpetrators be found and burnt at the stake on nothing but kingsford matchlight

sorry for your loss! I hope that you will respond with vigor next year and make a garden to be reckoned with.

Have you pondered video surveillance?

-MJR

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA