• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

doilies

MightyD

You can get rice paper rounds in 9 inch size, with printed patterns

here

Or you can buy rice paper in rolls or sheets and with an inexpensive circle cutter make your own.

rice paper

circle cutter

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

You can get rice paper rounds in 9 inch size, with printed patterns

here

Or you can buy rice paper in rolls or sheets and with an inexpensive circle cutter make your own.

rice paper

circle cutter

Those are beautiful, but any idea if they are food-safe? I see they are printed in some amazing colors and the idea that they are made of rice is great, but how to assure that the inks (possibly toxic?) won't bleed into the food...

I clicked around the site you linked to and couldn't determine if they were food-safe or not, but I would certainly inquire into the manufacturing only because they are so stunning.

And I've got one of those circle cutters... they are really hard to get the hang of! It is really easy to screw up and end up with an off-cut circle but I still use mine every now and then...

does anyone have ideas on what to use instead of those much-disliked-frilly-little-doilies used to hold individual pastries?

Try this company... for gold boards for individual pastries.....(under specialty concept area)

Edited by Matsu (log)

Qualita Paper Goods

714-540-0994 ask for Homar, request a catalog

glassine papers instead of doilies, gold or silver boards

I HATE DOILIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And folded napkin cradles too.......

I refuse to ever, ever use them at the bakery.

I also have gone to paper or art supply shops and bought cool paper just to line plates.

Melissa McKinney

Chef/Owner Criollo Bakery

mel@criollobakery.com

Sethro.........any chance you might have a photo of your bamboo leafs in action? Sounds very nice..........

No. :unsure:

You can make cones out of them exactly the same way you would with parchment triangles though.

The cups are a little trickier. I would cut each leaf into 2 or 4 "comma" shapes (depending on how big I wanted the cup, then cut a slot just past the round part of the comma (which would be the bottom of the cup) and a slit on the end furtherst from the round part (the tip). Then I would wrap the tip around about 1+1/4 times, till the tip went through the slot, and the slit in the tip caught to hold it in place. Then I would manuever the round part up through the hole, and then wedge it back down so it stuck. The round has to be just larger than the opening of the loop you create, so it will wedge itself in place when you press it back down. Obviously I would cut all the slits and slots for the whole bunch at once, stacked up.

It's uh...easier than I'm making it sound. Each cup took about 5-10 seconds.

Edited by Sethro (log)

thanks for the great ideas!! i especially like the idea of using interesting papers (eg japanese etc) and the bamboo leaves but the thought of hand-cutting hundreds of these babies just does not appeal to me ....

any thoughts?