• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chili con Carne

netrover

If you're using a commercially prepackaged chili powder seasoning mix, grinding your own spices just before cooking will make a big difference.

So chile con carne is on the menu for tomorrow. How do I make my own chili powder? Thanks.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, just take some dried chiles that you like, smash them up and buzz them in a spice grinder or a coffee grinder dedicated to the purpose.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Anna, just take some dried chiles that you like, smash them up and buzz them in a spice grinder or a coffee grinder dedicated to the purpose.

Thanks. But I always thought that chili powder for use in chili con carne was more complex than just ground chiles. Is there not some oregano and some cumin in there usually? Or am I completely off-base?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks. But I always thought that chili powder for use in chili con carne was more complex than just ground chiles. Is there not some oregano and some cumin in there usually? Or am I completely off-base?

Commerically prepared "Chili Powder" is kinda like curry powder in that regard.

You can buy "chili powder" which is a blend of lots of things...

The number-one brand we Southwesterners buy is Gebhardt's. On the label it says that it contains: ground chile pepper, natural flavor, spices, garlic powder, silicon dioxide.

I am sure it has cumin and oregano as at least two of the "natural flavor and spices."

So, to sum up, you can either start with pure chile powder (which I do, 100% New Mexico Red Chile Powder) and add your own additional spices and flavorings...

Or, you can buy a commercially-prepared "chili powder" like Gebhardt's, and either use it "as is" or "doctor it up."

It's really exactly like what people say about commercially-prepared curry powder. So it's your choice.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Thanks for all the great recipes!

PS - Bella, is this it? :rolleyes:

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

On this side of Texas, we serve our chili (and everything else for that matter)over rice. Never heard of eggs, although it sounds terrific. I use the Williams chili mix, and everybody at my house loves it. I will try the Cafe Annie one of these days. It looks great.

Stop Family Violence

I know this may be sacriledge, but what do you guys put in a vegetarian chili? I happen to be allergic to red meat, and hates birds with a passion.

Edited by Bond Girl (log)

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

I know this may be sacriledge, but what do you guys put in a vegetarian chili?  I happen to be allergic to red meat, and hates birds with a passion.

I've used a couple recipes through the years for meat-bird-aversioned friends. I've had good success with one that contains tofu (not really sure where it is, but could probably find it). And this one, with bulghar:

Vegetarian Chili

2 1/2 C dried kidney beans

water to cover (about 6 cups)

1 C V-8 Juice

1 C raw bulghar

3 T olive oil

4 cloves garlic, smashed, chopped

1 t ground cumin

1 t basil

chile powder to taste - you'll have to experiment - I use 1 T or so

dash ceyene (or hot sauce) to taste

1 C chopped celery

1 C chopped carrots

1 1/2 C chopped onion

1/2 C chopped bell peppers

1/2 C chopped mild green chiles (or mix of mild & hot)

2 C chopped tomatoes (fresh or good-quality canned)

juice of small lemon, or 1/2 large one

3 T dry red wine

3 T tomato paste

salt & pepper to taste

Wash beans and pick through, removing any that float, and other debris like rocks, etc. Put into stockpot or Dutch oven. Cover to about 3" with cold water (about 6 cups). Add 1 t salt. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until beans are tender (about 1 hour).

Heat V-8 to boiling. Pour over bulghar and set aside. Allow to stand at least 15-20 minutes.

In olive oil saute garlic and spices until they begin to release their scent. Add celery, carrots and saute til veggies are almost tender. Add onions, chiles, tomatoes and cook until tender.

Add vegetables, V-8/bulghar, lemon juice to beans. Cook to heat through and blend flavors (about 20-30 minutes). Remove from heat and add wine and tomato paste and stir well to thoroughly blend. Correct seasonings. Allow to set for a few minutes to allow flavors to come together.

Ladle into bowls and pass condiments: grated mild cheddar cheese, chopped onions, pico de gallo, crackers, sour cream, etc.

Really good served with cornbread alongside.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

As promised I tried out the various ideas I liked from this thread and here is the very approximate recipe I came up with :

750g diced pork shoulder sealed in sunflower oil and set aside, 1 large onion roughly chopped and 4 large cloves of garlic minced and sweated off until soft, add cumin, cayenne, fennel seeds, paprika, fresh chile, smoked chile (I'd have to check the varieties) and fry for a minute or so, add 500g of minced beef and colour, deglaze with 1 pint beef stock, return the pork to the pan, add tin of tomatoes, blacked eyed and kidney beans, a teaspoon or so of cocoa powder and some dried oregano, bring to the boil, simmer for 2 hours. Served with a cucumber, red onion, chile and lime salsa. It was terrific, but it needed a bit of a kick at the end with some tabasco and sweet chile sauce.

Thanks for al the great recipes and suggestions.

Any suggestions on taming the heat of a chili that is too spicy. I made a big pot yesterday for the game, and I think it might be too hot for some of the people at the party. I am serving it with garnishes of cheese, sour cream, cilantro, and avocado - which I think will cool it a little.

johnjohn

Any suggestions on taming the heat of a chili that is too spicy.  I made a big pot yesterday for the game, and I think it might be too hot for some of the people at the party.

First rule of thumb. Do not preface serving chili with a comment like "this may be a little too spicy for some of you..." The power of suggestion is strong.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

First rule of thumb.  Do not preface serving chili with a comment like "this may be a little too spicy for some of you..."  The power of suggestion is strong.

Then try, "I'm putting out some hot sauce that you can add to your taste. I didn't make it spicy for the sake of my 3 year-old."

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

In the South, we eat "Chili and Eggs."

I suspect that many of our northern eGullet brethren have not heard of this, so am going to share with you one of our great classics.

I know y'all Yankees are thinking that this sounds yuck.  Well, it ain't.  :biggrin:

My favorite breakfast made by my grandmother (in New York, and also in Connecticut) was a chili omelet. The chili (from the night before) is used to fill the omelet and also placed on top. It's one of my favorite combinations.

I was happy to find it on a menu in Northampton, Massachusetts at a local diner (called "Jakes", I think). Almost like the one I remember from childhood.

It's hard to find it on menus in the Northeast though. Thanks for the memory...

• 8 months later...
anyone made a chili w/cubes of pork?

Yes. I like it.

Pork adapts wonderfully to whatever context. But I find it's better to go South East Asian with pork and use coconut milk, lemon grass, Thai bird chiles and so on.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

• 1 year later...

im making a new chili recipe for the michigan/michigan state game this saturday. the recipe calls for 4 mulato chilies and 3 ancho chilies. i can't seem to find either of them at the local grocers. my question is, can i just use pasilla chilies? if not what would good substitutes? or, if you live in portland oregon, where can i get the mulato's.

also, to get greedy, any additional chili tips would be appreciated. this is only my second batch.

thanks

hollis brown

Pasilla and Ancho are essentially interchangeable and the mulato are another sweet/slightly smokey/dark red chile. Neither are very hot but do have a distinctive flavor.

check your yellow pages for a market that carries Mexican groceries or ingredients.

I am sure there has to be some. See if there is a "carniceria" listed.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Just make sure you don't use fresh peppers.  You don't want too much green in your chilli.  Avoid white onions too.

BeJam's advice sounds like heresy by eGullet standards. But as a native Texan and long-time chili lover (hell, I made some just tonight) I can't agree more.

The white onions.. well, a little bit isn't bad, but your chili should NOT taste like onions. If you saute onions first be sure to smother them in chili powder. Frankly, the best chili powder out there is Gebhardt's (admin: please change to eGullet link. Love ya!). Seriously. It's the best chili powder around.

A lot depends on whether you're making the chili with or without beans. Personally, I like it with beans. Yeah, I know it's not "real chili" but I fucking like beans, okay?! If you're making it with beans you can get away with a few chopped fresh chilis easily. If it's an all-meat chili, you should not attempt it.

Other wonderful "secret" ingredients include cocoa powder, beer, beef stock, brown sugar, cinnamon, etc. Just experiment and develop your own recipe. That's 85% of the fun!

Don Moore

Nashville, TN

Peace on Earth