• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Charlie Trotter's Restaurant "C" in Cabo San Lucas

ellenesk

• 5 months later...

My wife and I are planning a trip to Cabo San Lucas in late summer.

We have a reservation at Restaurant "C" in the Palmilla on our anniversary.

I have seen a few posts inquiring about the restaurant with nary a single illuminating review.

I’m going into the experience assuming the restaurant will be the same caliber of similar satellite restaurants (ala Las Vegas) of various famous chefs.

As this is going to be a pretty special occasion for us I am really interested in hearing reviews from anyone who has eaten there recently.

Thanks,

Shaun

"You can take my foie gras when you can pry it from my cold dead hands"

Shaun Sedgwick

baxter@pinpointnow.net

My girlfriend and I ate at C in July, and we had a fabulous dinner. In fact, we enjoyed our meal at C more than we enjoyed dining at Trotter's in Chicago.

Although the menu has a la cart options, we both opted for tasting menus. I had the chef's menu and my girlfriend had the veggie tasting menu. We both had wine pairings. All of the food was fantastic, showcasing some great local ingredients. The wine pairings were also great, and included a fair number of wines from Mexico and Central America.

If you can, request to sit outside. The view of the ocean will make your food taste even better.

Can't wait to hear about your meal.

-Josh

-Josh

Now blogging at http://jesteinf.wordpress.com/

Well that sounds much better than I expected.

I am really excited about the wine pairing.

I know little or nothing about the wines of Baja.

Frankly, the only knowledge I have was from article in Saveur a few months back.

Appreciate the response and I will be sure to go into as much detail as I can when I eat there later this summer.

Shaun

Shaun Sedgwick

baxter@pinpointnow.net

I didn't eat there because it wasn't opened yet, but many "in the know" doubted that this place could make a go of what CT does in Chicago. It was opined that the kitchen/service talent and availability of top ingredients was going to be an uphill battle. I haven't heard any experiences worthy of their prices. This may be a very expensive gamble.

Agua, at Palmilla, was extraordinary. You may do better to try that. We had a superlative dinner there, but then again the menu is more "Mexican."

Don't pass up an opportunity to try French Riviera, in a small shopping center just west of Esperanza. The former chef from Esperanza (a real Frenchman!) openend this place - by far our best meal while in Los Cabos. Also, Mi Cucina in San Jose del Cabo is top-notch.

Enjoy, and report back!

I didn't eat there because it wasn't opened yet, but many "in the know" doubted that this place could make a go of what CT does in Chicago.  It was opined that the kitchen/service talent and availability of top ingredients was going to be an uphill battle.  I haven't heard any experiences worthy of their prices.  This may be a very expensive gamble.

Agua, at Palmilla, was extraordinary.  You may do better to try that.  We had a superlative dinner there, but then again the menu is more "Mexican."

Don't pass up an opportunity to try French Riviera, in a small shopping center just west of Esperanza.  The former chef from Esperanza (a real Frenchman!) openend this place - by far our best meal while in Los Cabos.  Also, Mi Cucina in San Jose del Cabo is top-notch.

Enjoy, and report back!

Thanks for the heads up. We are going to be down at the Westin for 5 nights and from what I've seen of the hotel food there it appears to be just that...Hotel food.

I plan on eating at Auga in addition to "C" one night. Mexiterranean is intriguing to say the least. The dinner at "C" is going to be our 5th anniversary celebration. My wife and I have 3 boys under 2 years old and she deserves a bit of a soirée. My mother asked me if I was going to ask her to marry me again, my answer was “after the 3 boys? I don’t think I’ll press my luck.” She deserves this meal more than you can imagine.

My wife comes from a family of chefs and she's was thrilled when I suggested eating at a Trotter overseen restaurant. I'll make sure I give a detailed run down here for the folks at Egullet.

If this is the restaurant you suggested I'll go there as well.

http://www.loscabosguide.com/frenchriviera/

One of the things I'm a little concerned about is an encore of the green apple 2 step I got on my last trip to Cabo. Being a chef for over a decade and a half I think I'm pretty hip to sizing up where I should and shouldn’t dine internationally. I know all don’t drink the water, make sure stuff is cooked etc. I have the stomach of a billy goat as well.

That said, Cabo almost killed me last time I was there. My wife is a little hesitant to veer off the beaten path this time. Nor do I want to go through another course of industrial strength antibiotics, 2 steroid shots and have my blood sensitized to fight of low-grade alpha/beta forms of hepatitis again. Yeah, It was a rough trip to say the least.

From your perspective what are my odds at beating the house in "craps" at the Riveria place you suggested? Seriously though, what are your thoughts on doing a tasting there and getting a bug?

Thanks for the info again and I'll be sure to do a write up on my meals in Cabo. I may even bring a camera and photo log the meals at all three.

Shaun

Shaun Sedgwick

baxter@pinpointnow.net

Shaun:

That's the place! We did tastings there (went twice, actually) and hardly belched! :rolleyes:

We didn't have a problem in Los Cabos at all, but then again we hardly veered, except for the time we went to Carnitas Michoacanas, a block or two off the main drag in CSL. Fantastic carnitas, but we didn't put ice in our sodas, and that was the only place where we went which even slightly scared us.

Almost forgot - the restaurant at Las Ventanas al Paraiso is superlative as well. Four-star (for Mexico, anyway) food and service.

• 2 months later...

We honeymooned at the Palmilla and had great meals at C and Agua last Fall. The amuse-bouche at C was the best dish I ate the entire trip (it was a small piece of grilled marlin with yellow pepper coulis). Agua was excellent too.

The other most notable meal was lunch at the Cabo del Sol golf course restaurant, I had some sort of lobster salad sandwich that was great, it's really quiet and breezy and not too many people go there.

The upscale restaurants at the Sheraton are excellent, too, hard to believe. The steak place on the left side (looking out at water) is so close to the water and so romantic and the beef was really good. The place to the far right of the property (not the Mexican place upstairs), the nicer place was excellent too, I had some sort of fish gyoza there that were very good. It's sort of French-Continental.