• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rittenhouse Bonded Rye

Splificator

• 4 weeks later...

Man, it really seems no one can keep the Rittenhouse stocked for long right now. Was at LeNell's Saturday and found only one bottle, which I promptly bought. I'm in Astor once a week (it's right on the way home), and the Rittenhouse seems to be out of stock more often than not.

Today, though, they had what appeared to be an entire case on the shelves, so if any of you NYCers need stocking up, I'd go soon.

I'd love to think that rye is the next vodka, but I'm sure it's just us whiskey nerds buying it up right now.

Michael Dietsch

adashofbitters.com

• 2 years later...

Resurrected this thread to ask: Is anyone else having a hell of a time finding Rittenhouse 100? Here in sunny Minneapolis, where it was once plentiful, it's been impossible to find anywhere for a month now, and the shortage is predicted to last even as long as the end of the year.

Pip Hanson | Marvel Bar

Talked to both the Ritenhouse distributor and a store owner about price, and no one here has a good explanation for why it's still so cheap from the source. Demand is high enough to bump it over Beam, that's for sure....

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I'd be buying that by the case for $11/btl. It's not actually particularly cheap around here--runs around $20, maybe a dollar or so better than the Wild Turkey which is far more muscular. Of course only one place actually even carries it so I wonder if these could be related :sad:

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

I haven't heard a good explanation for the price variance...even in (highest liquor tax in the country) Chicago, it can often be found in the low teens in some locations, and I haven't seen it pass $20 yet anywhere. Meanwhile, I saw it selling (or perhaps not) for $30+ in Colorado a few weeks ago.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

Some of this may have to do with the fact that, as far as I know, Rittenhouse is still restricted in distribution to certain geographies due to limitations in supply. Colorado, for example, is unlikely to be one of those places. So, if one sees Rittenhouse there, it probably got there by some move involved and expensive means, and the local supply is likely rather small -- all of which militates in favor of a higher price.

--

I had not seen Rittenhouse in my favorite Dallas liquor store before. Today, I was there to stock up on some stuff, one of them being rye. I thought of buying Sazerac, but then saw the priced and decided to go down to where they keep Wild Turkey, Jim Beam, etc (why it's separated is beyond me). Then, I saw the name. I looked at the bottle. It wasn't bonded. just the regulat 80 proof stuff. But I still picked up a bottle of it. $16.99 for 750 ml.

I'll make a Manhattan with it, first. Then try a Sazerac.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I had not seen Rittenhouse in my favorite Dallas liquor store before. Today, I was there to stock up on some stuff, one of them being rye. I thought of buying Sazerac, but then saw the priced and decided to go down to where they keep Wild Turkey, Jim Beam, etc (why it's separated is beyond me). Then, I saw the name. I looked at the bottle. It wasn't bonded. just the regulat 80 proof stuff. But I still picked up a bottle of it. $16.99 for 750 ml.

I'll make a Manhattan with it, first. Then try a Sazerac.

Yeah thats what he 80 proof runs at Specs as well. It's nothing particularly special imo, especially when Overholt can still be had for about $13.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Maybe they will start to carry the bonded. When I first saw Laird's Applejack there, they just had the regular stuff. Then, one day, the bonded stuff was there, too.

Yeah if we can get Laird's Bonded in College Station you can definitely get it anywhere in Texas. Weirdly the local Spec's doesn't carry it, just the small guy.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

• 1 year later...