• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rittenhouse Bonded Rye

Splificator

• 2 weeks later...
I keep Rittenhouse in the well at Pegu, and we make one Whiskey smash after another.  It makes a kick-ass Manhattan too....

Audrey

I recently gave the Manhattan Special a try. Like Audrey's Little Italy it's a variation on the Perfect Manhattan but instead of substituting Cynar for the dry vermouth the Special subs Benedictine.

I'm not a guy who needs cold weather to be in the mood for a Manhattan so the good ol'Manhattan and Perfect Manhattan aren't in danger of falling out of favor at my house but when it's really, really cold I think the Manhattan Special will be my go-to cocktail. The Benedictine provides a little something extra that's especially warming even when the cocktail itself is nice and cold.

I used Rittenhouse for the first two Manhattan Specials and Old Overholt for a last "halfie". The 80-proof OO stood up against the Benedictine better than I expected so if OO is the only rye on your shelf you don't need to pick up a more potent and flavorful rye before enjoying this delicious cocktail. I certainly preferred the Rittenhouse version and highly recommend it for this drink--or something equally potent like Wild Turkey's 101-proof rye--but the old standby will do you just fine.

Next up, a Manhattan Special with Vya sweet vermouth instead of Noilly Prat's. I'm curious as to whether the Vya will push this cocktail over the top in a good or not-so-good way. Stay tuned.

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake

My favorite cocktail of the moment is a variation on a Brown Derby using Rittenhouse. I've tried it with Beam and much prefer the Rittenhouse.

2 oz Rittenhouse

1 oz fresh spqueezed grapefruit juice

1/2 oz maple simple syrup

It's a really great drink. The tartness of the grapefruit juice mixes with the full rich qualities of the Rittenhouse and maple syrup perfectly. I've used it as a way to introduce rye to some of my friends who swore they were not rye drinkers.

"Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts. Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more." Proverbs 31: 6-7

Julia

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any recommendations for a liquor store or online source which will ship Rittenhouse bonded (and Pikesville) to CA?

Some friends and I did a bourbon tasting last year and this year we want to do one with rye. We've managed to accumulate most of the ryes available in CA; but, feel we would be remiss to not include these two historic ryes.

Besides, I want to try some of Alchemist's cocktails which specify Rittenhouse.

-Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Anyone have any recommendations for a liquor store or online source which will ship Rittenhouse bonded (and Pikesville) to CA?

I get mine from Binnys.com -- good price, shipping is a bit expensive, but if you order enough you can lower your average shipping cost per bottle! They also sell Buffalo Trace and Ancient Ancient Age (the 10 year old), both of which are not sold in CA.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I get mine from Binnys.com....

Binny's is local for me so I've never ordered from them but I imagine their mail-order biz is as equal to their in-person. Of their sixteen locations I've only been to the downtown and Lakeview stores but I like them both. In fact, I just spent a ton of dough at the downtown store last weekend at a 15%-off sale, or rather, preferring to see the glass as half-full, I should say that I saved a lot of money...

Binny's has a decent selection of ryes but they don't have the Pikesville. In addition to JBeam, Wild Turkey and Old Overholt they have both the 80 and 100 proof Rittenhouse and maybe a half-dozen or so pricier ryes.

One I picked up that isn't listed at the website is the 6-year old Sazerac rye. I don't know where the mail-order biz is based but you may want to ask about that one if you can't find it locally. I think it was $25. I've only taken a little taste of it and used it in a Manhattan so far but it's quite good. I'm not sure it's worth twice the price of the Rittenhouse or a couple bucks more than the Wild Turkey but I'm looking forward to a more serious tasting of my own with it this weekend.

Speaking of which, has anyone here heard of Stephen Foster Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey?

Here's the info from the label:

80 proof

Bottled in Kendtucky by Stephen Foster Distilling Co., Bardstown, Nelson County, Kentucky

"Fully Matured at Thirty-six Months"

Charcoal Filtered

Distilled In Kentucky

I bought this in WI over the holidays. It's a liter bottle and I think it cost $11. I'd seen it in the shop over T-giving and intended to do some research but forgot so at Christmas I just bought it. Turns out that Googling wouldn't have been much use had I remembered to look for info. So far I've turned up next to nothing. There's a link to a rye whiskey article at Cigar Aficianado and a "ghost" link to an old page at Heaven Hill's website but there's little else and absolutely nothing more current than the CA article. My guess is that the undated CA article is at least a few years old.

Here's what CA has to say:

This rye is charcoal filtered, as is Jack Daniel's, and tasted somewhat like its Tennessee cousin. It started out very sweet -- almost like a candy cane -- and proceeded to a charred smokiness. The finish was short. It formed a neutral partnership with the cigar, which tended to overpower it a bit. A milder smoke is advisable for a pairing with this whiskey.

I've only given this a small taste and used it in a Manhattan too but it's not half-bad. I don't think I'll rush back home to WI to buy the remaining half-dozen or so dusty bottles at this shop but if I'm home and in dire need of cheap rye I'll know where to find it. For now I think this will be used primarily for my homemade cocktail cherries but I'm still quite curious about it. I assume it was just a cheap spirit with limited distribution that's simply faded away but it strikes me as odd that what may be the last available bottles for sale anywhere are collecting dust on a store shelf in Ripon, WI.

Kurt

“I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake--which I also keep handy.” ~W.C. Fields

The Handy Snake

Thanks for the advice, Kurt and Joe. Talked to the Specialty Spirits Buyer at Binny's and he was quite helpful.

If all goes well, and nothing is smashed by UPS or FedEx, we'll have the following, in addition to some surprises from my friend's recent holiday trip to "Bourbon country".

Sazerac 6 yo

Sazerac 18 yo (2 bottlings)

Classic Cask Rye

Van Winkle Family Reserve rye

Van Winkle 12 yo Rye

Black Maple Hill rye (made by Van Winkle)

Wild Turkey Rye

Jim Beam Rye

Old Overholt Rye

Michter's Straight Rye Whiskey

Rittenhouse Bonded Rye

No luck tracking down the Pikesville. Jim Beam will have to represent for the MA style rye.

I'm still slightly tempted to pick up one of the Anchor Old Potreros; but, can't quite bring myself to part with the change.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I'm still slightly tempted to pick up one of the Anchor Old Potreros; but, can't quite bring myself to part with the change.

Yeah, it's steep all right. But I think the Old Potrero Straight Rye is amazing stuff. If you see it at a bar and they're not charging $25 a shot for it, give it a taste at the very least.

My wife and I each pined for it for years after having tasted it at a whiskey tasting a while back, and a dear friend gave us a bottle on the occasion of the birth of our son last year. When we cracked it open, what amazed me was how very smooth it was; I expected (and recalled) much more of a spicy bite to it. But man how it lingers, and man how it warms....

Christopher

When I was young (college junior) and VERY foolish (college junior), I got a pint of 100 proof Rittenhouse Bonded to find out what movie cowboys drank. I hated it, but couldn't bear to pour it down the drain. Remembering Rock 'n' Rye, I got a box of rock candy and dissolved it in the Rittenhouse, which took the better part of a half hour of shaking, the rye being alcohol and all.

It tasted even worse, but I got it down on a Saturday night and fell asleep.

I woke at noon on Sunday with a throat full of steel wool, glass splinters in my eyes and fuming nitric acid on the brain. I felt too awful to lie down, but standing was worse. I stumbled out, getting blinded by the sun, and got a big can of V-8 and lots of coffee, which only made me feel worse.

I was still hung over on Wednesday, and I couldn't stand the idea of alcohol for a month.

Well, at least I didn't get alcohol poisoning and didn't throw up in bed.

I can still hardly stand the taste or smell of rye.

...If all goes well, and nothing is smashed by UPS or FedEx, we'll have the following....

Sazerac 6 yo

Sazerac 18 yo (2 bottlings)

Classic Cask Rye

Van Winkle Family Reserve rye

Van Winkle 12 yo Rye

Black Maple Hill rye (made by Van Winkle)

Wild Turkey Rye

Jim Beam Rye

Old Overholt Rye

Michter's Straight Rye Whiskey

Rittenhouse Bonded Rye

...I'm still slightly tempted to pick up one of the Anchor Old Potreros; but, can't quite bring myself to part with the change.

Jack Lord, but I'm jealous which, of course, is crazy considering that I can go to Binny's and Sam's at my leisure and also considering what I spent at Binny's a mere eleven days ago. Seems to me, though, that a true ex-pat Wisconsinite would have found room for one more pricey bottle o'hooch in that order.... Cali's making you soft, Erik! My prescription for you is a shot of Kessler's with a PBR back to slow this process down. Once a month oughta fix you right up but if taken in public while wearing blaze orange you might get by for around six months. :laugh:

I look forward to hearing about the Classic Cask and the Black Maple (assuming you can fit any posting time in with your rye drinking time). :biggrin:

Kurt

The Handy Snake

Jack Lord, but I'm jealous which, of course, is crazy considering that I can go to Binny's and Sam's at my leisure and also considering what I spent at Binny's a mere eleven days ago.  Seems to me, though, that a true ex-pat Wisconsinite would have found room for one more pricey bottle o'hooch in that order....  Cali's making you soft, Erik!  My prescription for you is a shot of Kessler's with a PBR back to slow this process down.  Once a month oughta fix you right up but if taken in public while wearing blaze orange you might get by for around six months. :laugh:

I look forward to hearing about the Classic Cask and the Black Maple (assuming you can fit any posting time in with your rye drinking time).  :biggrin:

Kurt

Kurt,

I didn't order all of that at once! Are you crazy! My wife would kill me! Even though she had fun at the bourbon tasting last year, she's not all that enthusiastic about another brown liquor tasting and has insisted that alternative cocktails be served.

My friend and I already had most of what is listed, just hadn't compared at one time.

Since part of our interest with the bourbon tasting we did last year was semi blind value/cost analysis, I mostly needed to pick up some odds and ends. For example, I am fond of the Wild Turkey and Old Overholt, so never really saw the need for a bottle of Beam in the house. And of course, after reading about so many cocktails from Pegu using Rittenhouse, we had to get some of that.

Along with straight, we should probably try them in Manhattans, too. I have been trying to get through of this bottle of Noilly Pratt sweet vermouth, so I can justify buying a bottle of Cinzano.

-Erik

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Does anyone know if Rittenhouse is available in NJ?  I haven't been able to locate any in my neck of the woods.

Shoppers Vineyard Clifton NJ has a lot of different ryes. Just please dont buy it all I am running a little low and need to stock up.

Edited by M.X.Hassett (log)

Say, Eje, when you finish that Noilly Pratt, pick up some Carpano Antica Formula. I like that one even better than their Punt e Mes which is nothing to sneeze at. Or give the Vya a try and tell me if it's as good as people say.

You're not missing a lot with that list of ryes. The Pikesville would be a little tame in that company. I envy you that Van Winkle 12.

Happy tasting.

And, Birder, you can get the Rittenhouse in NYC at Crossroads Wine and Liquors on W. 14th St. It's not easy to come by, but when I was there a couple of weeks ago, they had several bottles. It's very good for the price, but I prefer to spend a little more for Wild Turkey.

Say, Eje, when you finish that Noilly Pratt,  pick up some Carpano Antica Formula.  I like that one even better than their Punt e Mes which is nothing to sneeze at.  Or give the Vya a try and tell me if it's as good as people say.

If I find some Carpano Antica I will certainly pick it up.

Have not tried the Vya sweet. I have a bottle of the Vya dry and am not quite sure what I think about it. It has so much character that I am not sure it works in anything outside of drinking it on its own or a fairly dry (5-1) martini.

Thanks to the kindness of strangers (Thanks Kevin!) I was able to score some Pikesville, so we will now have that too. The initial date for the tasting was postponed due to illness. We are now shooting for this weekend or next. I will take tasting notes and post them to the board.

Both the Van Winkles belong to my friend, so I am a bit jealous of him having those, too. At least he is nice enough to share!

-Erik

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Sorry to hear that about the Vya white since I just picked up a bottle today and was hoping it would be a solid mixer.

You might want to add one of the Hirsch Canadian ryes (eight, ten and twelve years) to your long term list. They rated very high in the recent LA Times rye article. On the strength of that, I got the eight and the twelve and have sampled the younger one. Not to my taste at all. Very light in color and body. Unlike what I'm used to in American ryes. I've only had it the one time, so maybe it will grow on me.

I'm looking forward to your tasting notes.

Best.

Edited by scratchline (log)

If I find some Carpano Antica I will certainly pick it up.

Have not tried the Vya sweet.  I have a bottle of the Vya dry and am not quite sure what I think about it.  It has so much character that I am not sure it works in anything outside of drinking it on its own or a fairly dry (5-1) martini.

Looks like you can get it mail order from here.

I like the Vya sweet more than the dry but it is much sweeter than the Antica, which has become my favorite of late.

Sorry to hear that about the Vya white since I just picked up a bottle today and was hoping it would be a solid mixer.

Well, to be honest, I haven't experimented with it too much beyond Martinis, where I do like it. I'll be interested to see what you think.

I did give some to my father-in-law last year and he really liked it for his nightly Martini.

In fact, he liked it so much, he threatened to make an annual trip to CA to get more.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 2 months later...

A trip to Brooklyn to attend a bridal shower that I couldn't get out of today turned into a good thing as we finally got to Smith & Vine. Picked up the Rittenhouse Bonded as well as Old Overholt. This was my first taste of rye. I like it. :smile:

We celebrated by using the Rittenhouse in Audrey's Little Italy. I wasn't sure what to make of the first sip. The flavors really came together after that and just got better and better until it was all gone.

Manhattans are next on the list. It will be interesting to see how they compare to the ones we usually drink with Makers Mark.

KathyM

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I just had my first run in with the Rittenhouse bonded last night. Damn it's tasty! Man, was my head feeling it this morning. :wacko:

I had my favorite bartender at Southwark here in Philly make me a Red Feather Boa with it at the suggestion of Jparrott, a DC Gulleteer whom I bumped into at the bar totally at random. It's a tiny eGullet world. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol