• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Driving New York to Maine

Daniel

God, I can't believe you took a picture of the Friehoffers bag... *sniff* I'm from albany--living in Portland, ME--and you just made me miss home so much...

Deadheads are kinda like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but people who like licorice, *really* like licorice!

-Jerry Garcia

Yeh.. There is something about the bag that is very eye catching.. I would call it retro-foreign :biggrin:.. But its just cool to see that they are using a charcoal grill.. In most advertisements when they have someone grilling they are using propane.. I hate propane and often wonder how could a company want to stand behind the easier and inferior way of doing things? But then i realize I am out of my mind and I take my medication.. Anyway, I have never seen that brand before, its just a great little picture they have on the bag..

• 2 weeks later...

Next stop Red Eats.. I had seen this place being profiled on the Food Network a few years ago and have wanted to go ever since.  Its really neat to go somewhere you never imagined you would.. Not that its some great life's accomplishment, but its still cool and still an accomplishment no mater how small... Sitting behind the shack looking out along the water on a beautiful day, it doesn't seem all that small.

gallery_15057_1306_419987.jpg

Here they are famous for their version of a lobster roll.. Would i call this a lobster roll, probably not.. I would call it a monster lobster cocktail sandwich.. Over a whole lobsters worth of meat stuffed into and on top of and on the sides of a poor little struggling hot dog bun.. Served with cold with mayo or butter on the side its a thing of wonder..  Now this is something I can appreciate.. The lobster meat is simply wonderful. Meaty, crisp, fresh, and cold,,, I drizzle a little hot melted butter over the top and am in pure heaven..

gallery_15057_1306_582787.jpg

Edit to add.. I am happy to change my story about Red Eats.. It wasnt the Food Network where I first saw this place on television.. It was PBS that aired a special report called Sandwiches You Will Like where I saw Red Eats.. And it was Mr Holly Moore that was eating there with the host, showing him the ropes.. To me that was soo cool to see him there and to recognize him from Egullet.. Holly, not only was your website such a great tool for finding places, but it might have been you who got me to Maine in the first place..

Keep up your road trips and in all likelihood it will be you who gets a feature spot on the next PBS eating food special. As Fat Guy (the Hot Dog Show) will attest, one neat thing about these specials is that they keep showing them, year in, year out for pledge breaks.

I've been going to Maine since I was 9 months old. Anytime I can introduce another eater to Maine, I'm a happy camper.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

• 7 months later...

A restaurant called The Place is mentioned in the May 30th report . Several foodies have mentioned this stand to me before. Can anyone give me more detailed directions, or an approximate street address? I would like to try it on a trip I am planning to Mystic. Thanks.

What an awesome thread, thanks for the bump up.

Hey Daniel, can you give me an idea of time spent and total cost? What was the variation in price for those lobster rolls from place to place or was it fairly uniform like a slice is here in NYC?

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea

(Note: I think I accidentally answered the last post on the previous page in my zeal to talk about my favorite food, lobster. Was going erase this, but thought it might be helpful anyway). :unsure:

Lobsters shed their shells (annually, I believe) and develop new ones. This period when the newer shell has developed is consdered soft shell and, over time, the shell develops to full hardness. In general, a soft-shell lobster will have less meat relative to its size, because the meat (i.e the lobsters living body) does not fill out the full size of the shell. However, relative size and weight are not the same thing. A 2 lb. soft shell lobster and a 2 lb. hard shell lobster should yield approximately the same amount of meat. The 2 lb soft shell might just appear a little bigger to the eye than the hard shell.

In terms of meat, I would say there is little quality difference, although there are those who feel the meat of a soft shell is a little sweeter. The biggest difference seems to be that soft shells do not transport well (i.e. they will die sooner) and some places that ship lobsters will only ship large shells. However, you can judge a lobster's health by it fiestiness for the most part, so you don't really need to concern yourself if the lobster has a hard or soft shell as an indication of that.

Regarding lobster size, I have always felt 2 lbs was ideal, but mainly from the perspective that 2 lbs is a good amount of meat for 1 person. It is big enough that you don't feel like you are working too hard for your meat, but not so big that you feel like you need a hammer instead of a cracker because the cracker can't get around the claws.

The real problem around size has to do with cooking methods. Once you get to 5 pounds and higher, boiling becomes a bit of a problem and the meat can get tough more easily. The same is true of grilling. 1.5-2 lbs is about right to get the right amount of charred taste relative to the lobster. Large lobster are better (IMHO) being parboiled, then shelled and butter-poached or being grilled over more indirect heat (but with regular moisture being applied).

FYI, the best cookbook ever for lobster fans is "Lobster at Home" by Jasper White, but I would also recommend "Cooking from New England" by White, which includes his signature Pan-Roasted Lobster with Chervil and Chives, an adaption of Fernand Point's Simple Lobster Grillee and, to me, the greatest of all lobster dishes (if you can, go to Summer Shack at Mohegan Sun or in West Cambridge to try this wonderful dish... unfortunately it's not available at the Boston location).

Edited by mikeycook (log)

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

What an awesome thread, thanks for the bump up.

Hey Daniel, can you give me an idea of time spent and total cost?  What was the variation in price for those lobster rolls from place to place or was it fairly uniform like a slice is here in NYC?

-Mike

Thanks Mike.. Seeing this thread again takes me back.. The whole trip was three days.. We basically made a mad dash for Maine.. We drove from Manhattan to Bar Harbor.. Once in Bar Harbor we pretty much turned around and slowly cruised down.. I dont remember the cost of the rolls...But there wasnt a huge price change between places. I would guess somewhere between 12-15 bucks a roll.

In terms of meat, I would say there is little quality difference, although there are those who feel the meat of a soft shell is a little sweeter. The biggest difference seems to be that soft shells do not transport well (i.e. they will die sooner) and some places that ship lobsters will only ship large shells. However, you can judge a lobster's health by it fiestiness for the most part, so you don't really need to concern yourself if the lobster has a hard or soft shell as an indication of that.

My experience with soft shell lobsters is that the meat is often mushy/watery.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter